New Rumors: GeForce GTX 1180, 2080

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It has been a long time and a long road of rumors, however, the rumors now slowly seem to be solidifying. Nvidia would be briefing engineering employees for a new graphics card. The graphics card seri...

New Rumors: GeForce GTX 1180, 2080

2. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    Zero chance that these will be 7nm.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    holler, StewieTech and sverek like this.
  4. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    you mean 12nm Pascal refresh with GDDR6.
    *prob better DX12/Async support like Volta does, improved efficiency and bandwidth and ofc small but still noticeable performance improvement
    7nm now would be extremely surprising

5. Oclockster

Oclockster Guest

GPU:
    GTX980TI
    It's a race for the holiday season and we probably won't hear much until it gets down to the wire for providing retailers. In the last two months of the year they do 60% of the sales for the year so late October will the the outer limit before they're available. I got the 1080TI and so happy with it, I'll go SLI with another one after the new batch comes out and prices drop, but it would take a really compelling reason to ever do it. For 1440 gaming a single one is pretty amazing.

6. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    7nm doesn't seem likely to me. 12nm is already ready and is used for Volta products, AMD new 7nm gaming gpus are still along time from now(they focus on enterprise market with Threadripper, GPUs for machine learning first) so there's no pressure for Nvidia to release a new product. A refresh before the 7nm real parts could help them gain profits as it requires a lot less effort

7. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    7nm, or 12nm will change little for us.
    Improvements are often given by architecture an core/shader/smx/tu count, whatever they have.

If they have a new architecture, it will be a perf boost with 12 or 7nm. IF is a pascal refresh, it will be the same pascal at 12 or 7nm.

I do not see any problem here, the different process will give you smaller chip and better OC or a bit better Mhz on stock. That's all

8. dfsdfs1112

dfsdfs1112 Member Guru

GPU:
    2060 SUPER
    and HDMI 2.1 ???

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Something doent make sense. If 12nm, probably a meager gain (20-25%) from 1070/1080. May not get the crowd too excited, but with nothing else out there, can still generate enough sales. But when AMD release their 7nm cards (next year?), what would Nvidia do? Surprise us with a release of their 7nm version (of the 12nm card)? Like a quick Intel tick tock? Not sure if it would be worth the effort. In which case why not continue with Pascal until 7nm? Never seen things so murky with Nvidia this time around.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    hdmi 2.1 support 4k 240 hz?

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I completely agree. A weird year in computer hardware...

12. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    i will not be around in 2080 :eek:

Oh! its a number of the card :D

Netherwind and AsiJu like this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I still suspect anyone with a 1080Ti isn't going to want to upgrade, but at least this doesn't seem to be just a bunch of optimized rebrands.

14. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    more silly rumors.
    7nm for Nvidia (at this time) is completely out of the question. there is no chip fab with 7nm Nvidia orders - unlike Apple and AMD.
    the smallest process available to them at this time is the (weird) 10nm lpp from Samsung, which i don't believe is the case.
    12nm is the most likely and would make the most sense against a 7nm Vega. this would most likely be a performance tie, given the efficiencies of Nvidia vs. the process advantage of AMD.
    and oh yeah...don't expect anything before the Christmas season.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    TSMC is at least one of the companies that made Vega and Pascal parts. As far as I'm aware, AMD contracted TSMC to make their next-gen 7nm parts, so is entirely reasonable to assume Nvidia would get the same benefit if their next-gen parts are also made by TSMC. On the other hand, just because 7nm is available, that still doesn't mean Nvidia will be using it. For example, perhaps Nvidia made their contract before 7nm was ready, meanwhile AMD may have been willing to wait and gamble on its availability.

Maddness likes this.

16. Kaill

Kaill Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    im still running a EVGA gtx700 i would gladly take a refreshed 1080 with gddr6 memory if the prices aren't as crazy as what they are now.

17. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    sick of these rumors, CEO said not for a long time. until I see a nvidia talking head with planned dates I am not holding my breath for a 1180 mass release until 2019. maybe they will have a limited release from nvidia store in late 2018 like Volta. remember 2017 rumors, they had 1180 debuting in January 2018 LMAO.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    nVidia does not need 7nm with current GPUs. On 7nm, they will not clock significantly better than they do now. They will only cost more and eat less.
    So, why should nVidia pay more for GPUs saving client's cash on electricity bill? Maybe for minors, they sure love performance/watt ratio?

19. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    1080 was such a big leap over the 980. Most of us could go from using two cards in an SLI setup to one card for a 1440p monitor.

That's probably why Nvidia has taken a while getting to the next generation. They just haven't had to and I'm not sure the demand is there yet. Are there any games by which you can't exceed 60fps on a 1440p monitor at full details with a GTX 1080? If there is something, is it worth playing?

The idea is cool to run everything at my monitor's 144Hz with 144 fps in G-sync, but once you get up past around 90Hz/90 fps, it's hard to tell a difference.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    4K users demand more than what a 1080Ti offers.