1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Roadmap says Core i9 9900K in September, the rest in 2019

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    You won't get all cores at 5GHz on Aircooling, i can guarantee that.
    Just taking Intels 28c@5GHz Demo into account, it was using over 1200W cooling, so I'd expect about 250W at 5GHz on all cores for the 9900K.

2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    The Ryzen die is VERY profitable for AMD. Yields are great, and costs are down. Its what has gotten them out of the red and back into the Black ;)

3. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    We should see actual numbers before calling our price and performance. $450 for high-end i9 CPU doesn't sound right, but I am more than happy to be wrong.
    Also 30% faster cause of 2 additional CPU? Yeah. that sounds about right, so probably not any noticeable IPC improvement. How games suppose to benefit from it?
    Intel just going in loops with sidegrading on same arc again, again and again. Another CPU, another socket, yet side-grade performance, sometimes more cores for $$$ obviously.

It could be good investment for future, but so probably gonna be Zen2 and for lesser price.

Being aimed to launch before Zen2, I guess they just try to sell as much as they can, before AMD brings 7nm on table.

4. foetopsyRus

foetopsyRus Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X
    having 8,400 statter and problems in BF1 64 players, barely takes out 1070

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    That's why I moved from i5@4.5GHz to Ryzen 8C/16T. Ryzen improved fps only little, but all stutter was gone.
    With i5, new games felt like they actually rendered 1/2 of reported fps.

6. anthos

anthos Active Member

GPU:
    -
    It is not "silly" at all.. in all electronics there are incremental updates but in some generations it can be quite steep to warrant waiting for the next one especially if it's just a few months away.

7. las

las Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti @ 2+ GHz
    I guarantee you will, if they use solder. I've seen delidded 8700K doing 5-5.1 GHz using air coolers.

The only reason why they get very hot is because of the bad TIM. Solder will fix this. This is the reason why Intel has been able to push clocks even higher on top of increasing the core/thread count.

I would not be surprised to see 9900K/9700K hits 5.2-5.4 GHz using 240mm AIO or better.

A few people are already running their delidded 8086K's at 5.5 GHz on OC.net ... 24/7 that is and rock solid.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Lol and soldiered will act as delided?, keep on dreaming about 5ghz, nvm 5ghz+.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Another 0.01% argument? So, because few people delid and you see 5.5GHz scores in HWBot suicide run, you think it is standard clock soldered Chip will have?

10. las

las Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti @ 2+ GHz
    i9-9900K launches in Q3 as in very soon. Not Q1 2019, it was fake news and it's been debunked several times.

11. las

las Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti @ 2+ GHz
    You'll see soon enough. You got to be clueless if you think 5 GHz all cores on 9900K/9700K is going to be hard, when IHS is soldered. And it 100% is, or Intel would never be able to hit those clocks with an 8C CPU.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I seen in the past what was up, this time it won't be any different.

13. las

las Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti @ 2+ GHz
    Don't be mad just because Ryzen barely breaks 4 GHz on average.

14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    If what las is saying is correct then the 9900K will only appeal to a very small minority. Competitive gaming is of course a niche market, as well as those looking for extreme overclocks. I find it funny how he thinks competitive gaming is high-end gaming, LOL.

15. las

las Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti @ 2+ GHz
    And I find it funny that you run SLI in 2018. You like lower minimums than a single card, crappy support and bad frametimes I guess.

16. anub1s18

anub1s18 Active Member

GPU:
    nv GTX 980 TI @ 1.4 WC
    well considering he comes from the last good intel chip (cooling wise) it's likely he's pushing 4.3-4.5Ghz on a quadcore with hyperthreading. taking those numbers and looking at the past ton of gen's and considering he'd need a mobo+cpu+probably ram it seems like a dumb upgrade to go from a 4.5Ghz quadcore with decent thermals spend 1000 bucks and end up with a 5Ghz quadcore/hexa that will try to burn itself to a crisp thx to tim regardless of cooling unless delid. if the 9900k is indeed a 8 core 5.0-5.3Ghz capable soldered (aka actually responding to cooling) yea it's actually a worthwile upgrade instead of a well... i guess it's newer and slightly faster upgrade. if you had a 2600K and you applied this comment to anything before the 8700k yea silly comment but i feel it's relevant if the rumors are true.

it sure as hell is the first intel chip in years that if rumors pan out i am getting this one way or the other (or the rest has to also be soldered) having a timtastic 4670k i dare say never again, i even contemplated voiding warrenty day 1 on the 7700k/8700k cause screw this tim that makes my liquid cooling on par with aircooling (on the cpu) meanwile gpu's chilling at 53 degree's at 100% load >.> never again. so yea soldering instead of toothpaste...big deal..

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  17. las

las Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti @ 2+ GHz
    Going from i7-2600K/i7-3770K @ 4.5 GHz to Ryzen 5/7 @ 4.2 GHz will feel like a side-grade in most games.

Hell, SB/IB would even win in tons of games. AMD performance is always hit or miss, in some games it's decent in others total garbage. Just like their GPU's.

Ryzen performs terrible in tons of applications too. I've seen Ryzen 1700X run CEMU. Haha. Performance was worse than i5-2500K at stock speed.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, even if it was priced at proclaimed $450 before taxes, it is already in price range where people say: "U Mad Bro?"
    Average gamer expects CPU to cost no more than $250. So it is like Ryzen 2600X. And then GPU under $450, so something like GTX 1070. If they can get away with cheaper, then they are happy.
    Average gamer cares little about screenshots showing aliasing, therefore they are fine with GPU with which they run w/o AA.

Here we can have another debate about SLI 4K BF1 and kind of borked AA. We can look at screenshots and see how it behaves. But in game it is just fine due to motion and pixel response time. And same thing applies to that average user who wants to play game instead of looking at screenshot of the game.

From @las posts, I have bad impression that he is not playing games, he is watching corner of screen showing fps. (+ he is likely fps insensitive outside of numeric obsession.) Otherwise he would not say that move from Sandy/Ivy to Ryzen is side grade. User experience is on another level. fps may look similar, but that's where similarities end.

I bet 1/2 of forums remember me complaining about having gaming console as I could not even use browser while gaming as it worsened stutter. All things I can do while game is running. It is just pure comfort and game's performance sees no degradation.

xIcarus likes this.
  19. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    its 30% faster in synthetic benchmarks that can utilize all these cores. it needs to be soldered because its TDP is gonna be HIGH. 16 threads. if you actually look at the leaks it hits 5GHZ boost. same as the 8700K.
    for Z370 we'll see how well they support it. sounds like very high power draw with 16 threads and 5GHZ boost.

20. las

las Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti @ 2+ GHz
    Nah it needs to be soldered to keep temps down, because of insanely high clockspeeds compared to Ryzen, while still maintaining same core count as Ryzen 7.

8700K does not boost to 5 GHz. 8086K does, and it's a LE.

Delidded 8086K easily does 5.2-5.3 GHz. Some does 5.4-5.5. We're talking 24/7 here.

Soldered 8C will do 5 GHz all cores with ease. Soon you'll see.