New Rise of the Tomb Raider Patch Improves Performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Wolf9an9

Wolf9an9 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800XT
    Just downloaded the patch and is actually V 1.0.616.5_64

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I still get crashes :(

4. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    It's actually not a new patch, it's a hotfix for the previous 616.4, they screwed up some controller related stuff (inverted axis non-sense, which I dont care about, i play on mouse+key).
    So there are no performance improvements, it's the same patch + a small hotfix, please Guru, change the title, it's misleading.

5. NimbusTLD

NimbusTLD Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    No, the article is correct, albeit sort of out of date already.

616.4 was originally released with the above changes, which also happened to break the controller axis inversion you mention. It was then promptly fixed in update 616.5.

6. Primey0

Primey0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7900 XT
  7. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    1 crash before update but im at 43% of the game

8. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    Never crashed once with windows 10, got 100% ingame with dlc baba yaga, but the performance barely increased, only a few fps, in the Geothermal Valley and Soviet Installation i get drops to 45fps, that only with high settings, same happens when shadows and lod is on medium

9. Dafox

Dafox Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 580 8Gb
    Now im playing with a gtx 960 2GB, i5-4590 and 8 gb RAM, and playing on medium settings.

I still get crashes after a while when im playing, the game completly freezes and tells me its not responding. It's really annoying.
    Maybe its just because i run out of VRAM, looks like 2GB isn't gonna hold it.

This game is just poorly optimized, i know i don't have the strongest setup but still.

10. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    No crashes here, completed it a while ago tho, I'm surprised how short it was once you've done the main story plus all the tombs there's not much else to do besides collect a few things, still not that well optimized tho but if it's crashing i'd look at your system, run some tests because the game never crashed once for me and that was before all these patches.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Its not poorly optimized. It runs quite good, just alot more demanding this time around.
    My 3rd rig is i5 4460, 8GB 1600, and GTX 670 4GB.
    It plays this 35 fps on average @ 1080p high setting. Never crashes. Its running windows 10 and newest driver.

Game uses around 2350 vram on average with FXAA and high settings. 2GB just is not enough if your above a 1600x900 monitor and high settings.

12. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Same as before, random crash when i hit continue game, have to start it again from steam. Other then that same performance in game. Stutter fest for 5 seconds when the game loads after that it stays above 45-50fps's. Almost done anyway, so yet another game rushed with ****ty performance.
    No one will care if the game will be fixed after 6 months.
    I wonder what's the point of buying games on PC this days.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    So whats the prob if it has initial texture stream-in buffering? I had it too on my 780 but it wasnt really something annoying. Ok here it didnt stutter just a little lower fps then it settled at higher later.

Bf3, bf4, cod ghosts, cod aw, crysis3, etc all have initial stream-in buffering so its not something uncommon. Guess its just more noticeable on amd then nv by this RoTR,plus crappy single threaded dx11 api driver limitations and thats that.

Man i really wish amd would get their **** together with this dx11 bs, its the only thing keeping me from buying nonx Fury now. Saw them Saphire fury are unlockable to furyx.

14. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    Finished the game before the big patch, performed very well with max settings (except for aa on fxaa of course, and texture quality on normal) without a single crash, but man am I sure glad to see "Fixed Map sometimes not showing or showing the wrong region" (DAMN was that annoying!) and "Fixed game changing system screen saver settings for some users" (Why the hell do games have to mess with that at all? I still can't stand how GTA 5 and 4 always leave the screen saver deactivated after quitting the game, for example).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  15. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I'm still waiting for this to drop in price and see more patches, I really enjoyed the reboot but I'm in no massive rush.

16. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I was gonna wait to but say someone selling a key on G2A for $37 on launch day and had the extra $40 to spend, so I gave in.

Dont regret it though. Great game.

17. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I expected it to be £15ish on CDKeys as it's a short, single player game that's part of GPU promotion but it launched at £25 which is more than I want to pay. I'll get it eventually though.

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The campaign is roughly 12 hours. I wouldn't consider that short by any means.

19. Primey0

Primey0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7900 XT
    It isn't short at all. You shouldn't be expecting £15 for a triple AAA game which just came out.

20. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Thats my feelings on it.

Homefront, that was a game that was not that cheap when it came out.
    Barely 8 hour campaign, 6 if you ran threw it. But that game had a great story and fun multiplayer. Shame campaign was so short.