New rig --> little dilema

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PinBot, Mar 21, 2008.

1. PinBot

PinBot Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870 1gb
    Hi guys, I just sold CPU, RAM, MBO and VGA. I'm planning on replacing it with something fresh, and I cant decide something.
    First scenario: CPU E8400
    VGA NVidia 8800GT

Second scenario: CPU E8200
    VGA ATI 3870X2

I know that it would be best to buy E8400 and ATI 3870X2, but I have tight budget. First and second scenario costs almost the same, and thats the top I can afford. Will E8200 be enough to feed 3870X2, will this system be enough for 2 years?

Lot of questions to answer, can you help us?:eek:neeye:

2. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    If that is all you can do, tops, I would get the E82 and the X2. You could hold onto the X2 for a couple of years, but may as well get a new CPU in a year or so.

I was thinking about getting an E84, and buying a new one next year, but then I figured "screw it", and I'll just get a Q9300 instead. :nerd:

3. PinBot

PinBot Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870 1gb
    Thats what I tought, I'm just affraid that E8200 will hold me back with X2, wont that be a bottleneck?

4. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    As far as I understand, the E8200 runs @ 2.66 with a 1333 Bus (quad-pumped, so FSB is actually 333), multiplier of 8x. This means all you need is ram that can take you up to FSB 400 and your CPU will run with 3.2GHz. Now the CPU should manage this in its sleep, so all you need to take care of is that your mobo and your ram don't stand in the way. Then you shouldn't have any problems.

5. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    ...first the cpu is based on new technology, second the E8200 oc very well, don't worry about bottleneck.

6. PinBot

PinBot Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870 1gb
    I think I made my decision, E8200 and X2, all I need to do is wait for Easter holidays to pass, so I can rush to my friends store:D Thanks for advice guys!

7. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    Agreed, if the chip can be clocked up to 3.2 or even higher you will have no probs with one x2.

The x2 from my experience though is fiercely dependent on cpu.
    If her were to upgrade to two x2s, I would definitely advise him to go with something way faster.