New relationship for Nvidia & Qualcomm

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by tunejunky, Feb 18, 2020.

1. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    with TSMC almost at capacity (and unwilling to give up Apple and AMD) Nvidia has moved to Samsung for their 7nm euv process for Ampere and Qualcomm is making their new 5g modem at 5nm (correct) with Samsung as well.

this is a very important move for Nvidia as Samsung has economies of scale (and a willingness to throw cash at problems). the TSMC 7nm isn't euv (yet) so there's a potential for a more densely packed circuitry.
    given that power and heat will be dropping like a lead weight, this is very good news.
    the other bit of good Nvidia news is that Samsung will make them their premier 7nm euv client. no more worrying about capacity or production as Samsung will make it happen.

this is good news for Samsung too, they've worked out all the bugs on their earlier gen exynos (which couldn't be sold in the U.S for QC issues) so they're distancing themselves from other Qualcomm patent users, and even patched things up with Qualcomm so they're playing nice.

bottom line: expect Ampere launch in numbers with wide availability.

Mda400 likes this.
  2. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    1660 - 2130/10ghz
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  3. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070

yes, this node is in reasearch. Samsung's 7nm euv is in production

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/14954/tsmc-n7-euv-process-technology-in-hvm-n6-on-track
    October last year.

Also Nvidia already stated they are using TSMC's 7nm process for the majority of it's next generation GPUs.

https://finance.technews.tw/2019/12/20/nvidia-7nm-for-tsmc/

Mda400 likes this.

5. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070

so sorry, OLD NEWS, and incorrect. Samsung is the fab, not TSMC for Ampere.
    and, obtw, TSMC announcing production is good news - but you are splitting quite a few hairs (i.e. a couple of days)

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I don't get how i'm splitting hairs by a couple days when you said "this node is in research" implying it currently is being researched.. but it's actually been in production for 5 months.. that's not a couple days, it's nearly half a year.

I also find it hard to believe in the last 8 days they changed to Samsung. On the 13th during the investor call, Jens confirmed again they are utilizing TSMC:

So are you saying between Thursday two weeks ago and this past Tuesday they decided to drop TSMC entirely? Seems unlikely.

moo100times likes this.
  7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    For NVidia to announce they were using TSMC at the investors' call, NVidia would have already had a contract signed with TSMC..... I doubt they'd breach a contract just days later to switch to Samsung....

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    samsung and tmsc are both being used for volume production of ampere 7nm EUV chips.