New ram rated Lower than advertised.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cochise, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Cochise

Cochise Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800gt OC
    I just got some ocz ram rated at ddr2 667 pc2 5400, but my bios detect it at 533 and cpuz detects it at 533 5300. Is this right. Maybe a bios issue? The sticker on the ram says its rated at the highest. Any ideas

2. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

I say just see how it runs. If it runs at the advertised timings and frequency, then I'd just call it good. If it doesn't then I'd return it to OCZ. I hear they have good customer support, so you should be able to get the issue resolved fairly easily if it doesn't.

3. Cochise

Cochise Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800gt OC
    Any gurus know why it wouldnt show up ini bios at 667? Thanks in advance

4. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Probably because the BIOS never runs anything at it's top speed. My CPU can run at 2.9Ghz but you'll never see my BIOS automatically set it to run that fast. I'm assuming DDR2 533Mhz is the lowest DDR2 speed, I don't really know though. To get the full speed out of the RAM you're going to have to do it manually. Go into BIOS and change dividers as well as FSB speeds and CPU multiplier. I'd look at some of the stickies in the OCing forum. Even if you don't want to OC you still need to change all of these. Just have to make it to where your FSB * CPU multi = the same as it does now.

5. Cochise

Cochise Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800gt OC
    Great thanks for your help.:)