New Radeon user driver questions.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by AntiSnipe, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Nopa

Nopa Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 & RX 580
    Didn't you own RX 580/480 or GTX 1060 prior to that? I couldn't remember which one exactly reading your WCCF posts 5-6 years ago.

2. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    Let us know how it's going :D

I know this reply is way to late, but I'm gonna disagree and just suggest doing the regular full install and not have to rely on a 3rd party app to do stuff the driver has built in. Then if you don't like it, try a min install. Personally I've never found the AMD Software for the Radeon's to be slow. Unless I'm loading the overlay panel in a game, then it can be sluggish depending on the game.

I'm not even using a particularly fast SSD. My OS disk is a 250Gb Samung 850 EVO.

AntiSnipe and illusiveman like this.
  3. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    LOL. Yeah afterburner always caused issues when I messed with voltages and clocks. But maybe it's fine if you only have the drivers installed with min. install. About the 2GB pagefile...no way. That happens only if the system runs out of RAM. On my PC I've never seen radeon drivers take more than 150MB of RAM, when it's opened. If it's minimized in the system tray i think it only takes 30MB RAM.

AntiSnipe likes this.
  4. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    Ram yes i agree but check commited usage with full install versus driver only. Msi works flawless for me 2760@1070mv curve in autostart. And i said up to 2gb, when you dont open settings it eats maybe 1 but then after game overlays injections and etc climbs to 2. I have 16 gigs but damn thats too much for settings, mine chrome eats less than this

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022

5. Strange Times

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    Min install worse than full, same usage but without features like game profiles

6. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    There is no commit usage. There is only commit size witch is the allocated virtual memory for that process ( RAM +pagefile) Allocated doesn't mean that it's used, it's just reserved by the OS.
    If you want to find the actual RAM used by a process enable the memory working set column.

7. Strange Times

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    Yeah reserved in pagefile.sys which needs to be 16 gb+ to play some games like uncharted or msfs, less usage - better thats why i dont like settings app right now

8. Strange Times

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    Just a personal preference, no need to argue about it, people went to space with less than mb of ram you know, yeah so /closed

9. Strange Times

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    Btw tell me where is commander shepard right now :)

10. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    I've had on hand:

560 Ti / HD 7850 / R9 280X / GTX 780 and now 5700 XT. Between 2011 and present.

11. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    Fair enough.

Hahaha. I hope we will see him again in ME5. Or 4, I don't know if andromeda deserves to be named ME4 :cool:

Strange Times likes this.
  12. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Got the card and tinkered around with minimal vs full installs. I do kind of like the extra options for undervolting in the full install and it doesn't feel too bloated or anything...a bit of option overload until you get used to it, of course. So far I've gotten it running at about 80 watts instead of 100, which also drops temps from ~60 to ~50.

Found some "bloaty" stuff I don't use and figured out how to just disable them though:
    AMDNoiseSuppression removed from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    and disabled services: AMD External Events Utility, and AMD Crash Defender Service.

The card is running great and I know someone will say "placebo!!1", but I SWEAR the image quality is a bit better than Nvidia's. Same as I thought with my old AMD/ATI cards. It just looks a little more clear/sharp.

13. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    I wouldn't disable these two services as they are important. The crash defender helps to recover the video driver in case of a driver timeout, game crash etc...it helps in some cases.
    And the external events utility detects when games/apps go into fullscreen and can cause issues in some cases with freesync not working. If you don't have freesync it doesn't matter.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no it doesn't, its a telemetry service only.

15. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    This is directly from AMD webpage: "AMD Crash Defender4 – A new stability feature to ensure systems “stay alive,” preserve data and fully recover from potential hangs or crashes in select scenarios. Paired with the AMD Bug Report Tool, Radeon Software can provide a more complete picture of user-submitted issues for quicker resolution by AMD support teams. " It was in the 21.4.1 drivers. https://www.amd.com/en/press-releas...e-release-expands-remote-gaming-functionality
    I think the telemetry is related to the bug report tool and that the crash defender does other things but feel free to provide additional info from a trusted source.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    driver recovery is a component of the wddm 1 and later KMD,

"AMD Crash Defender" is a renamed "amd log utility" with the added change that it resets hardware settings following a tdr.

17. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    Laptop 6800 has 12g or is that a typo ?

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It does its a underclocked 6700xt.

19. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    Idk. When a TDR happens the standard windows message that the display driver stopped responding etc is no longer present. Maybe its only purpose is to replace the standard windows timeout message, reset any custom wattman settings to default and popup the amd bug report window...or maybe it does more. The lack of official documentation is annoying. Honestly I wouldn't mess with this, but if one chooses to do so just remember to undo all that if you have any problems.

AntiSnipe likes this.
  20. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Yes, the 6800M comes with 12GB of VRAM. It's stock clocks puts it just below a 6700XT, but once SmartShift kicks in, the performance is comparable.