New Radeon user driver questions.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by AntiSnipe, Dec 8, 2022.

1. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Just ordered my first Radeon card (RX 6600) since way back when I had a Radeon 9800 Pro, and a Radeon HD 4890. Is there anything I should know about the drivers? Like with Nvidia they are extremely bloated with GeForce Experience, etc. if you don't "clean" them. Anything like that to be done with Radeon drivers for folks who like a "clean" system? Annoying settings that should be disabled right away?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    They are really good to be honest!
    You can throw away whatever you know from the past, it's 100% not valid anymore, nor are urban myths of AMD drivers sucking.

Enjoy your card and happy gaming !

Agonist likes this.
  3. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    My Radeon 9800 Pro did not suck, at the time it was the best card available, but yeah, I knew they had wonky drivers WAY back (like shortly after the Voodoo cards haydays) but do not expect that now. There were a few settings/features I disabled but I forgot the name of them now. With the HD 4890, I do recall having to stick with a pretty old driver because the newer ones gave some trouble I also forget now, or they had a new feature I absolutely hated or something...been a long time.

Was just curious if they had bloated up to the level Nvidia's has (part of the reason I went back to AMD, aside from Nvidia's predatory business practices), or if there were any odd default settings I might want to change or look out for right away.

I will be using it for pretty standard, 1080p @144Hz stuff on a Ryzen 5 2600 build. Maybe a little Linux tinkering as well.

4. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    The recent versions are 500'ish megabytes, so while not as big as nvidia's (which are closing on 1 GB), it's still large.

However, it's all integrated into a pretty fast and smooth interface, doesn't require any login or other shenanigans, and ... well, "it just works" :D

---
    Note: Windows, I have absolutely no clue what's on linux side.

AntiSnipe likes this.

5. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, on Linux, from what I hear, AMD is just much more Linux friendly, where Nvidia is "hostile" and proprietary about it so open source drivers are extremely limited, stripped down. Not a huge deal, because Linux is still not "ready" for 100% exclusive desktop use (for me), but I do like to dabble with it. The RX 6600 should be a nice little ~+20% upgrade from my GTX 1660s, mainly for the 8 vs 6 GB VRAM and I was able to get the 6600 for ~$230 where a comparable RTX 3060 was still $330+. 100 bucks less for lower power requirement and ~0-5% less performance. I can live with that as long is it's a fair bit better than my current card.

The last few years, I was starting to think my old GTX 1660s ($220 just before the insanity started) was going to be my last dedicated graphics card because I was NOT going to pay %#$%ing $700-1000+ for some low/mid range card!

6. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Oh, is that all you're upgrading ? 20% ?
    I wouldn't spend a cent if I can't at least double the performance... which would put you in the range of a 6800 non XT for what you have now, or maybe a 6700 XT if you can find a good one.

I went from a GTX 1080 to current 6800 XT, which is for sure over 100% faster, even a 6700 XT didn't feel fast enough to invest money in.

7. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Yeah, I can not even close to afford a bigger upgrade. My Ryzen 2600 + B450 board are PCIE 3x16 and the the RX 6600 is PCIE 4 already, so to even get the full use of that I would need a new CPU and mainboard. I sure cannot afford both + some $700 graphics card. All for max settings ~110 FPS vs medium/high settings ~90 FPS in real world performance. I'm fine with the latter. I mostly play older games that I already get ~130+ FPS in. Warframe, Hellblade, etc. I'm fine with ~70-90 in newer games.

It's a gradual thing for me. In another year or two if the prices are right, I may bump it all up to PCIE 4, but I am always a year or 3 behind the "latest" thing. I am not willing to pay the price for that new stuff. Not any more. Prices have gone insane the last few years.

8. PetritH

PetritH Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XT
    But you also have to consider that not everyone is rich.

9. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Turn on SAM, as this gives a nice boost in several games.
    Undervolt the card. Although this is valid for both AMD and nvidia.
    Set memory timings to fast in the control panel. And overclock the memory. The 6600 has only a bus of 128 bits, so every extra bandwidth helps.
    Disable MPO.
    Turn on Radeon Anti Lag.

rdna3 and AntiSnipe like this.
  10. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    That is precisely why I'm suggesting to avoid such a weak upgrade.
    Spending money for very little gains.

Okay, maybe not go straight for 100%, but if not able to upgrade to anything at least 50% faster, it will be a waste of money. 50 frames vs 40 frames won't make any difference.

You know the saying
    "I'm too poor to buy cheap things"

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Kind of why that I went for a good deal on a laptop. I paid $1100, and got a full system upgrade. (3600 to 5980HX, 5700XT to 6800M 12GB) and portability. At the time, an upgrade for a 5700XT would cost me at least $800+ just for the GPU.

12. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    I get what you're saying and do not disagree. From benchmarks and reviews it looks like I can expect about ~20-25 FPS boosts in most games (maybe that is more than 20%). Going from around 60-80 to 80-100 in games like Horizon Zero Dawn, which is worth it to me because it gets me a good bit above 60 FPS, which is where I start to see that old, nasty choppiness and "motion blur". It also means my old 1660 Super will go into my second rig which has a Ryzen 3 2200 using the APU graphics and it will get a proper dedicated card.

In short, every few years I can spend a few hundred on upgrades, and currently any bigger upgrades are just way out of my price range due to the current insanity/inflation/whatever. Mid range cards cost $700 (were $1000 for a few years, used to be $200). I don't spend that much on my entire build with a few left over parts being transferred over, cases, power supply, hard drives, etc. It's usually just Main board, GPU, and RAM.

Seems that requires a B/X500 chipset? Mine is B450. the rest of that info I will look out for. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  13. Soren01

Soren01 Member

GPU:
    RX480 8GB
    Does the andrenalin full install have any performance penalty over the minimum install?

14. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Good question. I did not know there was a minimum/full option. I'd like to know what the +/- to that are too.

15. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    The minimum install only installs the driver and you lose features like overclocking/undervolting, recording the screen, using different features like RSR, anti-lag, enhanced sync etc. There is no performance difference.
    If you have stability issues with the full install it's worth trying the minimum install.
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh3-039
    Edit: or you can use anti-lag, enhanced sync, etc but only as a global option. You can't edit these settings separately for every game profile. I can't remember exactly as I only used it one time.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    AntiSnipe likes this.

16. Thadeus

Thadeus Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT Hellfire
    You can use the RadeonSoftwareSlimmer tool from GitHub to optimize the installation independently and decide which features should be installed. Use at your own risk only.

AntiSnipe likes this.
  17. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    You'll be very happy with the RX 6600.

I have a 5700 XT for 3 years now. The drivers and performance are great.

Nopa likes this.
  18. Tadeo

Tadeo Member

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 16GB
    Welcome on red board captain ;)

19. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    perform driver only setup. not full, and you will be fine

AntiSnipe likes this.
  20. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    for overclock and undervolt use msi afterburner
    pci 3 is fine but dont let games use all 8gigs, it causes a lot of stutters
    note: amd settings sux, its slow even on ssd and uses up to 2GB! of pagefile

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    AntiSnipe likes this.