New Predator CG437K P Delivers 4K, Up to 144Hz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 12, 2019.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    @ MegaFalloutFan, you must have been comparing the crappiest LCDs on the market vs your OLED. No question OLED wins out, but not that dramatically on blacks (VA panels), contrast (VA panels) as there are diminishing returns beyond certain points. Infinite contrast does not mean infinitely appreciable as you seem to be heading with your argument or that everything is infinitely better on OLED. Colors as well, good LCDs (quantum dots) can rival OLEDs. Just stop with your extreme differences approach between the two. Dont care how long you've had your OLEDs, you clearly have had the worst LCDs to compare to and are basically arguing by numbers on paper to make your points.

2. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    Nothing to argue about, any reviewer [or new buyers comments on Amazon, OLED subReddit, online shops, almost everyone saying they wont get back to LCD after they got an OLED] going to tell you that LCD is inferior product, quantum dots or not, its bad all around.
    I never buy cheap products, my last comparison was 3 weeks ago vs ASUS PG35VQ, which i sent back.

3. fry178

fry178 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 X@2GHz
    Dont care about nits/hdr, what i had the past 15y on lcd monis was still to bright outside watching movies.
    For 2500$ i get a 75X950G or i can spend less than half and still get a bigger screen with similar specs but better colors/accuracy (49X900F).
    And having less zones and no gsync, is irrelevant to me, if it costs 1000$ more.

LG oled, those blacks look worse than on most FALD screens from brands like sony/ssamsung/lg.
    https://www.bilder-hochladen.net/i/iyhi-1c-6def.jpg

lcd on the left, oled on the right, great picture, if you could see something i guess.
    https://www.bilder-hochladen.net/i/iyhi-1d-855b.jpg

i dont see oleds having the best picture.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Either these aren't OLEDs, or have a bad source video. Nothing to do with OLED, either way.

5. fry178

fry178 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 X@2GHz
    This is an oled, was a side by side vs other brands.
    Was only to show that just because its oled doesn't mean anything, especially when the lcd next to it can actually show the SAME image.

6. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    Anyone seen where this is available yet, other than Acer website?

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I mean if your argument is that a miscalibrated OLED with crushed blacks can look worse than an LCD then sure - but the bottom line is when you properly calibrate both an LCD and OLED and you run a bunch of test patterns through it, evaluate it for contrast, color accuracy, grey uniformity, color uniformity, etc the OLED comes out on top overall. Multiple professional reviewers/websites etc have confirmed this. My own experience with my C7 in comparison to top of the line Samsung/Sony LED TVs showed this.

So you saying they show the same image, you posting random pictures of crushed blacks from a random website with no indication of what OLED TV it is, if it's properly setup, what the source is, etc doesn't really mean anything.

That being said - image retention is still a problem with OLED technology and I think the usecase of a computer monitor definitely has more static content than a TV. Ill be interested to see image retention reports on all these laptops with OLED screens in the next few years - I'm willing to bet a lot of them have issues. If I'm going to have to shell out $2000+ on a OLED monitor then I want to know that monitor will function for at minimum 5 years with no image retention issues without me having to think "oh crap I left my monitor on with the desktop" or whatever. I don't think the tech is at that point yet.

8. fry178

fry178 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 X@2GHz
    this wasnt from a random website. taken at the training event we had, both tvs setup for home use (not retail),
    using standard profile.
    it wasnt to say oleds are bad, but to show that just because someone like consumer report says "this is the best tv..",
    doesnt mean its actually the best picture.