New phone...possibly...

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sykozis, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    I haven't used 4.0.4 in quite a while but the prediction is reasonably alright in 4.1.2, not sure if it's an updated version of the keyboard or if we just have different opinions, lol.

Either way I find SwiftKey's keyboard to be the most annoying when it comes to auto correcting (and prediction), it replaces absolutely every single non-polite word. It's infuriating. It has more customization options than the default and has easier deletion (just swipe to delete) but it annoyed me so much I switched back to stock.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I'm sitting here playing with it. Ran the Ookla speed test. Rather odd results. 3Mbps download, 18Mbps upload...WTF? lol Never seen a faster upload than download. That's on Wifi.... Reran the test....got 4Mbps download, 22Mbps upload. That's just nuts... Switch routers....now I get 36Mbps down....7Mbps up...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Odd, I thought its radio is limited to 21Mbps, at least it seems to be for the SGN. I get about 21Mbps down with my wifi and 1Mbps up. 21 is the supposed radio limit for down and the 1Mbps up is the Canadian "you're paying less than $300 a month for your internet" limit.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Those numbers were on WiFi. On 4G I get 7Mbps down and 4Mbps up

5. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF EVO 5700XT
    Quad core S4 CPU, 2GB RAM, updates direct from Google and before non-Nexus phones, 1280*720 IPS screen and then the price. What's not to like? Only thing missing is an SD slot, but you learn to do without it.

After getting my G-Nex earlier this year and having used a HTC, Huawei & Samsung phones before it, I'd never get another Android that isn't a Nexus.

Then there's the developer community support for Nexus devices, never seen any other devices supported for soo long. Even the Nexus One still has an active developer base has some Jelly Bean Roms around for it with minimal issues.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    The lack of an SD slot is a killer. I thought I'd be alright with only 16GB but I forgot that it takes a chunk for system nonsense. I have about 13GB to work with and with my music being FLAC that doesn't leave much space. I only have like 4GB left.

7. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yea 16 is pretty much nothing. But i am thinking about selling my SG2 and getting Nexus4. I always *s t r e a m* music and if i have any music on my phone its 4-5 albums before i get bored of them and change to something else.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The quad core and ram is one thing, that is nice -- if it indeed performs that is, as of now they are having throttling issues according to anandtech. The screen is whatever, pretty standard. But, 16GB limit with no SD, lack of LTE, glass front and back of phone, non replacable battery and terrible battery life in general are my problems with it.

I find it amusing that places like reddit.com/r/android/ and even here, plus other places were full of people ****ting all over the iphone 4/4s during release for the exact same things that google is doing to their phone now and people are justifying it by saying "well the price is right".

I guess the price is good, if you live in an area where you can get a provider to give you decent service at a decent price without contract. I don't. T-mobile and AT&T both suck around where I live/work. Plus the non-contract plan for t-mobile is garbage for what I use my phone for (actually making calls) and google voice isn't in a state to actually replace the dialer.

To me one of the biggest things ATM is battery and storage. I feel like google is pushing so many great services like google now, maps, etc I want my phone to be able to last all day while utilizing these great features. I live in NJ and if I take a navigated trip into NY using the public transportation navigation features, my Gnex is at like 30% by the time I get to where I'm going.

I'd really like to see 3000+ mah batteries the norm.

And yeah storage, with a lot of carries in the US going for data limits and some euro people dealing with the same crap, I want to see more storage on my device. I currently have a 10gb limit, it's really a pain to have to worry about how and when im transferring music to my phone due to the limited storage. The options should have been 32/16 imo, maybe even 64/32. I wouldn't mind paying $100 extra for 32, or even $200 for 64.

Dunno, just don't see the appeal.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    There is no appeal to me for the Nexus 4. It's lack of MicroSD support and being on T-Mobile just completely destroy any appeal it could have potentially had. Having T-Mobile in my area....is like paying NOT to have cellular service. My Trophy, unplugged at 6:30AM would still have 80-85% battery life by 12:30AM.... My nice, new Galaxy Stellar, currently has 87% battery remaining at 7:15PM....I expect less than 80% remaining by 12:30AM....yet, it has a considerably larger battery (2100maH vs the 1300maH for my Trophy). At this point, the default keyboard and the power consumption are my only gripes with the Galaxy Stellar. Other than that, I'm liking it so far.

10. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF EVO 5700XT
    I'd take the anandtech reports with a grain of salt, the phone hasn't even been released yet. Give it enough time to be rooted & OC'd and then see what problems are coming up.

The only 2 things I don't like about iPhones are the OS & the small screen size.

I'm an Aussie so I don't know how far it is from NJ to NY time wise, but I use my Gnex as the GPS in my car now and mine has pretty decent battery life, i'll get anywhere from 16 hours - 48 hours out of a charge depending on usage. Either way i'm getting about 4.5 - 5 hours screen time, but it depends on how many calls I make and how my music i listen to.

Data usage & 16GB storage isn't really a problem for me, I'm on wifi @ home and work and not trying to s t r e a m anything / use a lot of data while I'm out shopping or at the pub, etc. I have a 2GB data limit on my mobile plan and use about 1.2GB on average each month. It was a pain activating the Google Music service to work here, but apart from that I keep my music on Google Music, my photo's & video's on Minus (I got a 50GB acct for free) and only keep the app's / games I actually use installed (this might have more to do with the fact I flash a new rom every couple of weeks or so, but still)

In saying all that, I am more than a little annoyed that Google has now come out with a 32GB Nexus 7 after I'd already got the 16GB as on my tablet I could definitely use more storage space since I use that to watch movies / tv shows, etc.

Anyway @ OP sorry for the off topic. If the stock keyboard isn't great, try some of the alternatives on the Play store, or maybe give swype a try

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Best keyboard I've ever used has been Swiftkey.

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    It is massive ram hog too.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    decided I'd go ahead and give swiftkey a try. See how it goes..

14. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Really? Doesn't seem to slow my Tablet down...

I've got tons of apps installed yet I've got around 400mb of ram free out of 1Gb so not bad in my books...

15. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    You can turn off word prediction in the stock Android keyboard. Prediction isn't as good as SwiftKey or Swype but it's passable. I'm using the Android 4.2 keyboard right now. Using it over Swype mainly because my Nexus S doesn't have enough RAM in it and Swype takes a lot more RAM to run because it has its dictionary preloaded in RAM.

I'll switch back to Swype when I get the Nexus 4 probably end of month or early next month.

Most tablets these days come with at least 1 GB of RAM and SwiftKey runs great on my Transformer Pad Prime here...

As for those complaining about Nexus 4 having terrible performance and battery performance, remember that the units sent to reviewers are running preproduction software. Many reviewers have already noted that already. If you're used to flashing a lot of ROMs, software plays a big part in battery and performance, same with the kernel being used. Until the production release of Android 4.2 is out in the wild, I wouldn't discredit the Nexus 4 completely yet.

As for LTE, that's a non-issue for basically anyone outside the US since deployment rates are much lower as HSPA+ has the highest compatibility and is the most deployed in most countries around the world. Maybe 2 years down the road it'll be a bigger story outside the States.

deltatux

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

16. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    hmm, normally i use thumb keyboard but i've had to stop using it since i keep typing faster than the phone can handle and it ends up spamming the same letters multiple times. swiftkey is a bit better but doesnt seem as responsive as thumb keyboard. the nexus 4 should have enough grunt to solve my problems.

to be honest, im quite happy with the performance ive seen on the nexus4 in the video reviews. sure, it might not bench well, but it does extremely well in real world performance, which is what matters more to me. the cpu performance seems held back by software a bit, but not enough to be problematic. from what i've seen it does everything i want it to do quite zippilly so i'll be quite happy when i order mine this week.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I'm enjoying this thread as much as I am my Galaxy Stellar.

After a couple (2) days with Swiftkey, I do rather like it. I haven't noticed any slow down as a result of using it. I like the prediction as it's extremely accurate. It's almost like it knows what I'm thinking before I even start typing.

18. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    You forgot to mention it's very customizable & the fact you can even download & use alternative skins...

Also, running several languages is even easier, you simply swipe the space bar to change the language on the keyboard. This is useful if your in a non english speaking country.

You can also increase & decrease the keyboards height & width...

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Well on stock ics keyboard you can just press and hold the space and then pick the language.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Well, I wasn't writing a review on the keyboard...

Downloaded Go Launcher EX as well. Not really sure why I liked it on Gingerbread but now it's annoying me. I'll give it a couple more days before I get rid of it.