New phone...possibly...

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sykozis, Nov 3, 2012.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Ok, RMA'd my last HTC Trophy due to issues sending/receiving texts, network connections, etc. Now on phone #3....which is already experiencing issues with notifications. So, I'm trying to decide between 2 potential phones to replace my HTC Trophy immediately as opposed to waiting for the Nokia Lumia 822. So, if I replace the phone immediately, the options are either the iPhone4 8GB or the Samsung Galaxy Stellar. I don't have an upgrade available until May 2014 and my wife until August 2013 so I'll be stuck paying retail for whatever phone I get.

iPhone4 8GB - $449.99USD + $30 "upgrade fee"
    Samsung Galaxy Stellar - $329.99USD + $30 "upgrade fee"

Yes, the Galaxy Stellar is an "entry-level" phone....but it's specs are pretty decent compared to other "entry-level" android phones. 1.2ghz dual-core Qualcomm processor....1GB ram, 4GB storage (I have a microSD card already), ICS...... The 4G LTE makes no difference as I'm on wifi for all but about 30--45mins of the day... Also not too concerned with the missing LED as I don't really use my phone as a camera...
    Here's Samsung's page for the phone... http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SCH-I200ZKAVZW

I'm sure everyone's familiar enough with the iPhone4 already....

(No bashing, flaming, etc please.....)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    8GB iPhone 4 (no S?) for that prices... I'd never do it. Old tech, low space and no expandable memory (wouldn't matter really if it had something like >16 GB). If you have to pick one of those, take the Samsung (though I wouldn't get that one).

3. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    yea get the samsung

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    $480 for the iPhone 4? Forget that, get the Stellar, the screen is small (4") but that's still bigger than the iPhone's, and as you know the specs are better. Plus I'm sure you can update it to Jelly Bean yourself without waiting for Samsung to release an official update.

The only thing I question about it is the screen type, I don't know if it's an IPS.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    It has TFT screen and it's not IPS as far as I know.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Yep, it's a 4" TFT screen supporting 800x480 resolution....except, it's not all pixelated and **** like my on my Trophy with 3.8" TFT 800x480 screen.

Storage capacity matters very little for me. I'm not buying a phone to play games. I buy phones to send texts, check e-mail, make phone calls, browse the web occasionally and store my audio collection which comes in at an amazing 2GB in size...plus a microSD slot negates internal storage on some phones.

Basically, I need a phone that can last 2 years without having to visit the store every few months to order a replacement. I mean, 3 phones in 11 months is ridiculous...especially when you consider that the phone was turned off for 2 of those 11 months...

7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    you have a hell of bad luck dude, but they say nokia phones are damn rocks, hard to die phones, i cant confirm that by the pair of nokias i own because im careful but they are just like the first day(except for the 5230 i hit with my hand while someone was using it, hitting the street with all these little rocks and bounced several times like a bullet, only a minor scratch in the corner)

8. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    Selling a Samsung Galaxy S3 pebble blue with a case, extra charger/data cord and a 32GB microsd class 10 for $450, and the phone is unlocked so you can use it to any network that uses simcards :p.

[​IMG]

lemme know if you're interested lol

9. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    send to israel?

10. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF EVO 5700XT
    why not look at something like the new Nexus 4? it's only $349 outright for the 16GB.

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    That would be much better option.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Cuz the Nexus 4, according to Google, is GSM not CDMA and only available on T-Mobile with their GSM/HSPA+ network.

13. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    So you need CDMA, should have mentioned that, both those are bad deals, can you not get anything better, my Dual Core Sony Xperia U was only $150 new and unlocked/unbranded.

14. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Actually, it'll be available on any GSM network around the world (more than 2000+ networks).

Who's your current carrier?

deltatux

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    My carrier is Verizon, which is strictly CDMA. In my area, GSM is less than reliable, thus not an option for me. For me to get a Nexus 4, I'd have to switch to T-Mobile, who has very spotty coverage in my area (as does AT&T)....

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't even really see the appeal of the Nexus 4 other than the price.

I would get the Stellar personally.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Well, the Stellar ended up being my choice. My wife has an iPhone and while she's thrilled with it, I couldn't bring myself to buy a second one. iTunes was more the deciding factor than anything else.

I really like the 4" screen. Even though it has the same resolution as my Trophy (and 0.2" larger screen), it isn't all pixelated and **** like on my Trophy. It's touchscreen is a bit more sensitive though. Need to get a screen protector and case for it. It's backside is a smooth, gloss finish that's rather slick. Runs ICS right out of the box. Good bit smoother than my Transform Ultra was. Got an 8GB microSD to go with it. Total cost for phone + 8GB microSD....just a few cents under $258USD. Only downside is all the bloatware it came preloaded with.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I take that back.....the keyboard is the worst part.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    If you want to get rid of any bloatware system apps you need root access to uninstall them. If you do decide to root your phone I recommend ES File Explorer (I like its style), it's a free program that can give you full access to the storage and that includes uninstalling system apps if you give it permission.

Everything on it is customizable, you can install any keyboard you like. Personally they all piss me off because you can never use any foul language on ANY of them without them auto correcting them into other words as if these keyboards were made for babies. Android 4.2 will be getting an updated keyboard.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Worse part about the keyboard is that it tries to predict what you're trying to type....but doesn't pay any attention to the letters you're actually typing... Making me have flashbacks to my old BB Pearl that did the same ****...always pissed me off.