New PC issues - blank screen

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mingeblaster, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Mingeblaster

Mingeblaster New Member

GPU:
    nVidia 7600GT
    Hi all, long time Guru3D member here returned from years of absence, seeking help.

Recently I decided to make the jump and do a total upgrade after my old Pentium 4 Northwood died on me.

After putting everything together I went to boot it up, everything sounded normal and physically appeared to be working correctly (lights on, fans and drives spinning, a familar series of boot sounds) however I was greeted with a totally blank screen, as if it wasn't connected to my monitor at all. I thought this was down to a faulty GPU, and so tried another cheap new card (7200GS or something awful) in its place. Unfortunately, same thing again, nothing. I then tried the system on a colleagues monitor to see if maybe it was just my own that had issues, but nothing was different other than this one gave a 'no signal' message instead. So, I'm pretty sure neither GPU nor monitor are to blame.

The worst problem though is that I can't follow the usual process of elminiation to find the guilty component as my previous PC was so ancient nothing is compatible in this one, and my colleagues setups aren't exactly new either. So I'm wondering what's the quickest and cheapest way to sort this out without having to buy new individual components and test them one by one, and hoping the shops take them back afterwards? Anyone else out there has experienced a similar scenario to this and if so what was behind it?Any help appreciated.

Main specs are as follows:
    Core 2 E8400
    2GB DDR2 Corsair Dominator RAM
    Asus P5Q Pro
    Radeon 4870
    520W PSU

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  2. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Could be a bad motherboard. Get any beeps? How long does your hard drive spin? Triple check your power connections, I missed the cpu power connector once and it did this.

If it only spins for a short amount of time then it could be a bad mobo, but if it's spinning as long as a normal boot (typically 30 seconds or so) then stops, something else is probably the problem.

3. Rizzla

Rizzla Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870 1GB
    I have the exact same problem with my pc, except older and crappier hardware :p

I suspect it's my PSU so I'm getting a new one on Sunday. I tell you if it sorts it out.

What brand of PSU do you have?

4. richei

richei Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT / 512 Meg
    Like the 1st guy said, are there any beeps, other than the normal single beep? check to make sure you have all the board power connectors attached, the 20+4 and some boards have an additional 4 pin power by the cpu slot. Since you have power to the board, one can assume you have the 2 or 3 mini connector on right (where you attach the cords for the hd light, etc).

If you have dual connectors, make sure the monitor is on the right slot. I think most default to the top connector as the primary.

Incase you don't have the speake connected (the case speaker), check to make sure the cpu and ram are seated properly.

Its always possible you're monitor won't work with the newer card. Though i think that would be a rarety.

5. Mingeblaster

Mingeblaster New Member

GPU:
    nVidia 7600GT
    Tried both slots with both GPUs, might be worth nothing though that the 4870 is going through an adapter as it's dual DVI but my monitor is VGA. The second card I tried has native VGA though and that doesn't work either, so I don't think they're the problem.

No beeps with speaker connected, although this is apparently normal as it only beeps if it detects an issue.

PSU is 520W Corsair HX.

Hard drive doesn't spin for long or appear to load Windows, although this may be because an error is preventing it from loading as my old installation hasn't been wiped yet, and last time it did on my old system was giving BSOD immediately upon welcome screen anyway.

All internal connections seem to be in place, including 24 pin motherboard, 8 pin CPU power connectors.

6. qda

qda Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    what about pc-speaker beep (not from sound card)

7. richei

richei Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT / 512 Meg
    If its not beeping, then the board isn't posting. It should be giving you a single beep to let you know everything is ok.

I wasn't talking about the mb slots, though it should be in the slot closest to the cpu (left side if looking from the back)

With xp, you will get the bsod, unless you thought to uninstall the old board drivers before you put the new stuff in

Given that the hd's aren't spinning up, i would say you possibly have a bad board.

8. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    The graphics card should go in the blue slot cording to the manual. However you could have bigger problems since the hard disk isn't spinning enough to indicate windows booting.

-> check your standoffs
    -> check your jumpers
    -> clear the cmos
    -> update the bios

-> call tech support, cause it's starting to sound like you may have to return the mobo.

A few more random things you may try:

-> try booting it with the windows CD in the dvd rom
    -> spam the del key while booting up to see if you can get into the bios, if the normal whirling/fan activity/other case noises do not alter then you're not posting.

finally, it could still be your PSU being defective rather than the motherboard. However, though I strongly doubt that, you will probably want to test it if at all possible.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008