New PC Build - Wont boot

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dk_lightning, Oct 2, 2012.

1. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    My brother is building a PC up for a collage buddy and has hit a brick wall.

The system wont boot up.

When turning it on he is getting fast short beeps, like 2 or more a second for about 8-10 seconds then it reboots and does it again in a loop.

Its a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H with an i5 3570 non-k version
    Kingston HyperX ram
    Corsair 600w PSU
    GTX 660Ti

Bios is AMI according to the specs.

What we have done so far:

Nothing but power connected. Wont power up.
    CPU+Power. Beeps
    CPU+RAM+power. Beeps

Tried all the ram sticks in all the slots with the same outcome.

Tried with and with out the GTX660Ti

Still getting the same fast beeps.

Anyone know what to try?

Ive suggested that they RMA the mobo as it sounds like its DOA

2. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
  3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Try your best to find the cause of the issue first. Most RMA's aren't due to products that are actually faulty.

There are two versions of the Z77-D3H board. There are a couple of visible differences between the two, the thing that stands out the most is that the v1.1 has an extra 8-pin power connector, whereas the v1.0 has only an extra 4-pin pin connector (on top of the standard 24 pin plug). I am assuming the board he has in the older v1.0 (not sure how long the board has been out). Still, you can't RMA it just because of that!

The most likely cause is the need for a bios update to support the memory. There is a F18 version dated 20 August, unfortunately there are no older versions listed so don't know of the previous fixes.

Maybe try just 1 stick first in a different RAM slot, reset the CMOS, and see if it boots then? or try a different stick?

4. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    If you change from GTX 480 to GTX 660 Ti then I explain why new card is mid-end. But you are new bad videocard :confused: because GTX 660 Ti does NOT succeed GTX 480. But yes GTX 580 or GTX 780 and you buy now GTX 580 or you wait GTX 780.

5. dk_lightning

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    What are you going on about??? :puke2:

6. dk_lightning

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    I shall find out the exact ram its got and check to see if its in the QVL.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's a power related error..

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  8. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    That would be my 1st choice.

Even though not the exact model I have had 2 x GA-Z77MX -D3H mobo's (rev 1.0 and rev 1.1)
    Both boards have worked without any mystery at all.
    Both running 3570K cpu, 8GB memory 1600Mhz (2x4GB G.Skill Ares).
    Put CPU in, put memory in, attach power and booted straight away into bios.
    Set the memory XMP in the bios, save and exit and booted no beeps or errors.

I updated the bios on both boards to the latest (F15 for these models) and proceeded installing win7 trouble free.
    After I installed win 7 I then added the Video cards and drivers in both setups.
    Once again trouble free with no mysteries or corrupted boots.
    It shouldn't be that much a mystery to stick a cpu, a stick of ram, power and boot without error code beeps from brand new hardware.

No 2nd thought, just RMA the mobo, providing you've eliminated faulty mem or psu.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I was wondering the same...

The post codes on the pchell site that DSparil linked to is rather old and doesn't apply to most systems anymore.

As Pill said, that specific beep pattern, is generally power related for AMI.

10. Valagard

Valagard Guest

That beep pattern is typically power related at least I think for AMI

The motherboard didn't come with a manual?

11. dk_lightning

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    Manual, Yes. Beep codes chart.. No :\

12. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Yeah I just downloaded the manual to check

If its AMI mobo, and its beeping non stop, its most likely power supply, mobo or CPU pins are not touching

Do this, unhook everything except keyboard, mouse, videocard, ram and power supply

Make sure power supply the 24 pin is hooked up, and the CPU power pin is hooked up

MAKE SURE ITS THE CPU-POWER 8 PIN HOOKED UP AND NOT THE PCI-E EIGHT PIN. IF ITS NOT SAID ON THE PLUG, CPU POWER EIGHT PINS ARE EITHER A SOLID 8 PIN PLUG OR SPLITS INTO TWO 4 PIN PLUGS, AND PCI-E 8 PIN IS A 6pin + 2 Pin plug

Then try turning it on with your monitor hooked up

If that doesn't work, keep your power supply plugged into the wall, flick the power switch so the system has no power, clear the CMOS by shorting out its pins for 10 seconds with like a screwdriver etc, then make sure those pins are not shorted, turn on the power supply switch, then turn it on

Make sure ram is -FIRMLY- seated before you do all of this. Make sure power supply is switched off before you touch the mobo etc. Ram being improperly seated is a common problem with new builds

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
  13. Valagard

Valagard Guest

And if THAT does not work, your mobo might not have the newest bios installed

If that's the case, see if you can blind flash the newest bios to the mobo, it varies from board to board but I will look it up for yours now

EDIT: Turn the PC on, keep smacking the END key, see if you can get into the Qbios screen. If you can, download the latest bios for your computer, stick them on a USB stick, plug it into your computer, reboot it while smacking the end key, select your USB stick, try updating the bios

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
  14. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    It could be a short when it was installed in chassis.

Need to remove the board and test it outside just board memory CPU.. Only way to know for sure

Could also be the PSU what kind is it?

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, have you tried booting it out of the case? would start there.

16. dk_lightning

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    Yes, it was not in the case while this beeping was going on.