New Overclocker. How am I doing so far?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Computerduck, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Computerduck

Computerduck Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 240 1.5GB DDR5
    Hai guys. I've always been too scared to overclock, but I finally decided to man up and go for it. Explosions and possible fires be damned. (Doctor tells me to avoid activities that involve excessive heat and common sense, but what does he know, anyway?)

So. It's day 1. I've digested several overclocking guides, and I set out to determine the fastest HTT my system can handle. I set my CPU multiplier to 10x, my HTT multiplier to 3x, and my RAM to run as 266 to give myself some headroom.

I hit 250Mhz stably and nearly pooped from excitement. That's 300mhz! Awright, sweet! I can probably go higher as I haven't encountered any errors running Prime 95 or SuperPi, I haven't upped the voltages at all, and my temps are reasonable, but if I've learned anything from life it's to avoid hubris as to not anger the gods. They are quite vengeful.

Running the numbers, I figured I can run my HTT multipler at 4x (250 x 4 = 1000Mhz) and my RAM at 333 (~208mhz... A bit higher than the rated 200mhz, but I don't want to overclock my RAM just yet. One step at a time....)

In reality, my HTT runs at juuuust over 1000mhz. CPU-Z has it at 1000.1.

So my questions thus far:

1) am I doing it right?
    2) Is it okay for my HTT to run just over 1000mhz?
    3) Should I push my CPU farther or be content with 2.5Ghz (up from 2.2?)

2. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    2.5 is a nice overclock, especially with no voltage increase. From my experience of the Athlon days, my 4000+ and X2 4400+ were really stubborn, i think i managed 2.5 or 2.6 out of the dual, and between 2.6 and 2.7 out of the single core, so for a first try, it's a good start. All of my chips required a little more juice. You could maybe squeeze 2.6 out of it with a bit of a voltage bump, temps allowing of course. Keep going.

3. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    If you're lucky enough to have a mobo that lets you control Vcore then I don't see why you shouldn't get just a litle more out of it.

Mine doesn't let me go higher than 3.1Ghz eventhough it boots and gets to Windows, I cannot run Prime95 due to hardware failure errors.

That chip should be able to somehow handle close to 3Ghz aslong as you don't hit FSB wall on your mobo or Rams allow it.

4. Computerduck

Computerduck Master Guru

GPU:
    Okay, it's day 2 and I've decided to push my CPU to its limit. Why? Because I can!

I was able to raise my HTT bus to 260Mhz before getting errors on Prime 95. I know it's my CPU failing because my RAM is running on 133 divider and my HTT multiplier is set to 3...

I bumped my vCore voltage up by .5v to 1.40v and tried again, and I ran stable!

Upping my HTT to 265, however, caused me to see the bluescreen of death upon booting into Windows.

Is this the limit of what my processor can handle, or is there something I'm overlooking?

5. texasrattler

texasrattler Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    Could just be cpu limit. Try more vcore and see if that lets you. If nothing works for you then it could just be your limit. Also make sure your mobo bios is updated. That helped me out.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Do you know your CPU core and stepping?

I managed a 550mhz overclock on my 3800 Toledo at stock vcore with the same board you have.

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    My first overclocking foray was on a system very similar to your's.

You say your temps are reasonable, what is reasonable?

8. Computerduck

Computerduck Master Guru

GPU:
    My core is a Manchester. CPU-Z says the model is B, and the stepping = 1. I don't know what stepping is, exactly, so I'll google that.

My system temp never goes over 45C under load. Processor maxes at 49-50C. PWM is the highest temp reading at 55C at load.

What I've finally settled on is HTT bus of 234 x 11 = 2574Mhz for my processor because my RAM can only handle an overclock to 234mhz stably while still running 1:1. This gives me speeds very close to my CPU's max (as far as I know) while still allowing me to max my RAM. I THINK this is the wisest thing to do. Any suggestions?

Also, when I bump my voltage any higher than it currently is (1.425v to achieve 2.6ghz stable) my heat starts to rise rapidly to 52-56C which is a little too hot for my tastes.

EDIT: I tried upping vCore to 1.450v to see if I could at least push my CPU past 2.6ghz, and no dice. I was able to boot, but I got errors in Prime 95 after only a few minutes, and my temps were too high: PWM hit 60C and CPU hit 52C. It looks like 2.6 is as high as I'm going to get without better cooling. :(

I also had a thought. Would it be advisable to run this configuration:

CPU: 260 x 10 = 2.6ghz (processor's max)
    RAM: 260 x 166 divider = 216.6mhz.
    (HTT x3 = 780 or x4 1040..... Neither of these are ideal...)

Instead of my current:

CPU: 234 x 11 = 2.574ghz
    RAM: 234 x 200 divider = 234mhz
    (HTT x4 = 936)
    Which would theoretically provide better performance?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^^This one, but 60c is too high, you should be able to get it down to around 45c with a decent aftermarket cooler.

Also, don't raise your vcore any higher than it needs to be stable..

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  10. cliffgamerz

cliffgamerz Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3070 8GB
    i think 234x11=2.574ghz is the best performer there,did you try to adjust or fine tune your RAM timmings,which inturn can give you some performance boost.

11. Computerduck

Computerduck Master Guru

GPU:
    With the 234 x 11 CPU setting, I rarely get CPU temps above 50C because I only need a .5v vCore increase. Did you mean to say that 50C is too high and that I should shoot for 45C at load? My PWM hits near 60C, but I've read that isn't an issue. Have I misunderstood?

Also, I haven't tried adjusting my RAM timings yet because the topic is a little outside of my realm of knowledge at the moment. I plan on doing some research into that soon.