New NVIDIA adaptive vertical sync feature

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by METAVISOR, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It may not work with that game or your GTX 280. I tried the Adaptive (Half Refresh) on Doctor Who: The Adventure Games and the framerate was capped at 30 fps (half of my display's 60 Hz/60 fps). Seems to be working, or maybe the cap is. Didn't see any tearing though but that gaming isn't that demanding anyway.

2. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    I don't think Vsync has any business capping the framerate at 30fps. That is what fps limiter is for. Adaptive Vsync @ half refresh rate should just keep Vsync enabled until fps falls below half of the refresh rate.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That is what the normal one is for, the half refresh one is likely meant for people with 120hz screens, or maybe even those on a 60hz screen who have alot of framerate drops below 30fps.

4. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Will be interesting to see if it works properly with double buffering, because we've all seen the problem that brings..

Slightly on the topic of Vsync is the max pre-rendered frames setting which Nvidia seemed to have tweaked in 300.xx. I wonder if they fixed it for DX11 and/or OpenGL. I noticed it no longer applies to SLI.

5. eddman

eddman Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6G SC
    You're complicating things. This is my take; when you enable adaptive vsync, the driver monitors the frame rate. When it's more than the target rate it enables vsync, when it's lower, it disables it. This graph tells a lot:

[​IMG]

Also, nvidia says it's coming to older cards.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  6. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    And you're oversimplifying it. Your screenshot only described one of the many new options related to Adaptive Vsync.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    only thing that comes to mind is possible stuttering/lag when vsync-ing with low FPS, so yeah id say it's simple enough concept :)

and people reporting tearing with adaptive... What's wrong with ya, ofc its gonna tear if you drop bellow 60 - Thats the whole idea

8. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    v-sync doesn't cap framerate, it syncs it to refresh rate of monitor (output) It will sync it to 60fps if your monitor is 60Hz (refresh rate) it will sync it to 120fps (if your monitor/TV is 120Hz). It will divide those possible Hz in steps of 15fps to keep in sync as best as possible. If you can't match 60fps with GPU it will limit to next possible value, 45. Trippe buffering may make things a bit better by forcing cap closer to 60 instead of 45 but...good luck with that.

I am sick of people with d3doverrider + fps limiter comparing those to actual V-sync function. They have nothing in common.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    D3DOverrider is Vsync though.

10. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    no it's not. Tested and failed. Sorry. I don't want to argue. Enabling triple buffer in D3D is not V-sync

edit: sure, go ahead, but you will still have tearing. With regular v-sync you won't. Easily demonstrated in anything that goes above 60fps (without using fps limiter).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Who's arguing?

[​IMG]

12. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    well, that obviously changes things :D V-sync is V-sync, I must admit, last one I used didn't have that option, so, forgive me :) What's the FPS limiter for then anyway? And, triple buffer introduces mouse lag for me, at least in deus-ex. So what's that for? What is the purpose of that application?

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That is regular V-Sync, it's not a framelimiter, nothing will go above your refrsh rate and you will not get any tearing.

Edit: Okies, without sound like i'm stating the obvious the frame-limiter is for limiting the framerate without introducing the input lag that VSync introduces, handy for those who don't mind tearing, but hate inconsistent framerates or worry about over-stressing the GPU.

Quick answer for triple buffering is used as double buffering which alot of the time is standard would cause the framerate to half, so on a 60hz screen it would drop to 30fps if it couldn't maintain vsync, with triple buffering it will only drop to 45.

14. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    i know that. Last version I used only had "force triple buffer". ;) Still, V-sync can be forced with drivers CP, and triple buffer is mostly useless. HAving that on 570GT is beyond me. When I tested that card with HD resolution, v-sync was more than enough. It just seems redundant. Triple buffer introduces mouse lag in most games I tested.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    When was the last time you used it, i've been using the same one for about 3 years now.

16. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    can't remember, it was just a smal window, like 200x120 pixels lol

edit: it can't be 3 years?!?!? Are you sure?

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Must be, RivaTuner hasn't been updated since 2.24 which was in August 2009.

Triple Buffering works for me when i use it, i'm not overly anal about input lag unless i'm playing a MP game anyway, a stable framerate and a lack of tearing take higher priority, and it does only get enabled on games that are likely to have framerate drops, so it's not on that often.

18. Life On Mars

Life On Mars Member

GPU:
    No System
    In deus ex I limit the framerate to 60fps via Nvidia Inspector and use D3DOverrider (disabling in game vsync/triple buffer) eliminates mouse lag and this method seems to work in a number of games for myself. Maybe something to try gx-x?

19. -=Seany=-

-=Seany=- Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    I wonder how this feature will work for me. The consensus is that if you have Vsync off and your FPS stay below your monitors refresh rate you should not get tearing.

This is never the case for me, and never has been. At 60hz with V sync off and my FPS around 30 (eg 100% permanently below 60fps), I always see tearing. The only way for me to stop tearing is to turn on Vsync.

Given that experience, with Adaptive V-sync I will see tearing one minute then none the next.?

V-sync has to be one of the most confusing subjects in pc gaming.

20. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Without Vsync you get tear no matter what framerate you have, that's the rule.

Now, adaptive vsync works as normal vsync as long as the framerate is the same as monitor refresh rate. When it drops from that, it disables vsync and you get tear but reduce stutter.

This feature is only usefull if the game don't support triple buffer, which 99% of the games now do.

Every game I tested with fraps don't drop into 30's when the framerate drops from 60.

Adaptive vsync can be usefull to avoid mouse lag at lower framerate, and that's pretty much it.