New NVIDIA adaptive vertical sync feature

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by METAVISOR, Mar 19, 2012.

1. METAVISOR

METAVISOR Member

GPU:
    R7850 MSI Twin Frozer /oc
    Hi@ll, want to share this info:
    it´s the new Nvidia feature,replaces actual vsync;
    it was used before by John Carmack in Rage (under Opengl).
    what it does is to enable vsync when you´re running on 60fps or more,and disables it when its under that rate(59fps and down).
    for me its something like"adaptative Vsync"
    but looks like it is an exclusive feature of the new Kepler nvidia hardware release,
    my question is: is hardware only feature,or it can be enabled via control panel?,so the non Keplers owners can enjoy this...
    figure it out,:3eyes:
    (sorry for my english errors,im learning it)
    info:
    http://www.*********.com/news/nvidi...vertical-sync-feature-pushed-by-john-carmack/

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Rage is doing it via software so it should work for all cards, since all it does is checking the fps and switching vsync on/off in relation to fps below and beyond the monitors sync rate.
    If it is completely done by dedicated hardware, it will be faster since there won't be the same restriction as polling via software.
    Let's hope that it is hardware.

3. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    And that in Rage made screen tearing, i forced vsync on and i had much better overall experience this way.

I doubt its gonna be any different here, you can't eliminate tearing even if goes below refresh rate. Ok some game engines have almost none, but its still there. :)

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    is for the people who are not total blindos, i.e. they cant live with the tearing,
    but who are also sensitive about the input lag.

1. vsync-ed tripple bufferd when FPS is bigger than screen refresh(60Hz),

2. no vsync to maintain low input delay, and smooth frames when under 60fps

4. is very beatiful feature

@METAVISOR no one knows what features will be enabled on previous GF.

Adaptive + TXAA would be nice...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

5. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    I'm more interested in nVIDIA's new TXAA anti-aliasing feature, if it's going to provide 16x MSAA quality at the cost of 2x-4x MSAA without any blurred effects then I'm sold on Kepler for that feature alone.

But we've had all this CSAA and other nonsense in the past and they all proved to be worse than good old MSAA in terms of quality. I'm currently sticking with 8x MSAA + 8x SS, or 4x MSAA + 4x SS in more demanding games but this still cripples performance quite a bit so if we could finally get some improvement in the anti-aliasing department without drop in actual quality I'm all for it!

Does adaptive vertical sync mean you'll not see the horrid added input lag when you're below your monitors refresh rate? As it is basically disabling vertical sync whenever your below your monitors refresh rate.

Might be interesting to see how this would work out if you combine FPS limiter with nVIDIAInspector to 118FPS (no input lag on 120Hz monitors with vsync) and this adaptive feature. Might we for the very first time see no performance hit from running vertical sync and at the same time get tearing free gaming without added input lag? Best of all three worlds?

6. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    I read that first it is a kepler only feature and it will be added to 500 series later.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    :thumbup:

That is exactly what adaptive will be doing.

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Adaptive Vsync is pointless when you have a good card . Double-buffered Vsync will just cause input lag anyway, so the only use for it (Online competitive Games) it's useless anyway.:3eyes:

9. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    There is nothing special about it that is has to be Kepler only feature, its post process AA after all and any modern dx10+ NV gpu is capable of using it.

Imo if they make it Kepler exclusive then they can go .... them self :p

Unless its actually FXAA but they decided to call it TXAA for some reason, like in this picture

Driver 300.65
    [​IMG]

Edit: i see it has the same bug like all 29x.xx drivers >> Gamma correction ON.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    TXAA is _not post-processing AA

TXAA, which we talked about a little earlier, turns out to be a super-efficient temporal anti-aliasing algorithm. It has two levels: TXAA(1), and TXAA2. TXAA1 provides the image quality comparable to 16X MSAA, with the performance-penalty of 2X MSAA; while TXAA2 offers image quality higher than 16X MSAA (unlike anything you've seen), with the performance-penalty of 4X MSAA. Since few games natively support it, you will be able to enable it through the NVIDIA Control Panel, in the application profiles, provided you have a Kepler architecture GPU.

11. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    what happened to TXAA? why does CP say FXAA? or am i missing something here

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Ask S†v0r.

He's the one who created confusion by posting random screenshots and throwing postprocessing AA, i.e. FXAA into TXAA discussion :D

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yeah. TXAA is really interesting but if there's motion aliasing it's basically useless. I also wonder if it can offer as good subpixel quality than 8xMSAA.

14. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    I didnt create any confusion, i said unless FXAA is TXAA. I didnt say it is :p

Also how about a source to that TXAA, not some random quote ;)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  15. eagled1

eagled1 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI 4GB
    Agreed not necessary at all.

16. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Where is the damn leak of this driver hiding, why is it not here yet :p

It's in Hardware and no other Series will support it, as they said its a Architecture feature a very interesting one seeing the major spread of PP AA (FXAA,SMAA,DAA) and now 1 new Hardware based again TXAA.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  17. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    As far as i know they are for the GTX 680 only (modded inf required), 300.99 drivers are out there too because of 300.65 problems.

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I tried this adaptive v-sync with RAGE but personally I don't find it especially useful. V-sync + triple buffering is far better IMO as there's no screen tearing at all and I've never been able to notice any input lag anyway (I mostly play PC games with an Xbox 360 controller). I guess it's nice to have a new feature though for those that want it.

19. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    How did you try it? Did you get a copy of the new drivers? Post them if you did :p

20. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    This driver for test only you don't want break your gpu?