New MSI Raider X299 Motherboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Thunk_It, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Active Member

GPU:
    2 GTX 1080's in SLI
    I have recently (a few days ago), upgraded to the MSI X299 Raider motherboard. I did an "in-place" upgrade; I changed only the necessary components: motherboard, RAM, and CPU. Overall the process went well. But, when I started playing non-Sli games, I noticed Afterburner was showing my second GPU doing all the primary rendering. This prompted me to open Nvidia control panel, and to my surprise, it was showing my monitor connected to the 2nd GPU - of course it isn't - it is connected to my 1st GPU (the one nearest to the CPU and the top most PCI-e slot).

Since I have never seen or heard of this issue, I hoped there would be an easy tweak to correct it. However after submitting a support ticket to MSI, I was told the following: "Ok after doing some checking, it turns out that this is normal for our X series Intel chipset..." There you have it then, the chipset has oriented my 2 Sli graphics cards in reverse order.

Let me be quick to add, the overall performance of my new X299 setup is truly great! I gained a five thousand point increase in the Fire Strike benchmark, and almost a three thousand point increase in Time Spy - and that with the lowly i7 7800X CPU. Also, (thankfully) Windows 10 is running stable too. So looking at the big picture, I really have no complaints about my upgrade - maybe a future BIOS update will correct the graphics card location issue.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  2. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Active Member

GPU:
    2 GTX 1080's in SLI
    An update: I received a response from a moderator (name flobelix) on MSI's Intel Motherboard forum. I had posted my graphics card reverse orientation issue on their forum. I was simply hoping for a suggested solution. Anyway, the moderator said the following: "It is no issue but will also never be changed. It is completely normal" Link here: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=291989.0

I can only surmise (as strange as it seems) that apparently MSI wants this strange issue to be a signature for their high-end mainboards. The moderator after all added: "was the same on the X99 mainboards and even the Z97 XPower. Most MSI high-end boards show the lower card as the primary one." Unfortunately I am compelled to say, if I had known about this issue during my search for a new X299 motherboard; I would have went ahead and bought another ASUS product (after all I had one in my e-tailer's wish list area). Finally let me say it again, other than this minor issue, the Raider X299 motherboard is performing quite well. But, let me also add; I am very glad that I purchased an extended warranty from my e-tailer too!