New motherboard choice...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by the_jerboa_king, May 25, 2010.

1. the_jerboa_king

the_jerboa_king Master Guru

GPU:
    9600GT
    Evening,

Well it's been a while since I've upgraded... still running a Q6600 in a DFI Lanparty motherboard that's slowly dying (the fan on the southbridge stopped spinning a month or so ago...)

I've been looking around at motherboards, etc, looking where I used to get things from it's mainly Asus and Gigabyte boards they have in stock, a few MSI and others, but not much. Haven't really decided on budget yet which doesn't help... Would probably be going for a LGA1366, but open to suggestions. (Yes I'll be upgrading CPU, RAM, etc as well).

Can you guys mention some of the nice boards you've found / would recommend (preferably not ASUS, I have a thing against them...) and any you'd really stay away from?

I'm not likely to be overclocking much due to lack of time to have fun with it properly, will be mostly used for games / internet, not fussed about SLI / crossfire.

Bear in mind I'm in the UK if you're suggesting good places to buy from!

Thanks.

2. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    if you are going to i7 I recommend the Gigabyte-X58A-UD3R, the board is unmatched at itz price point, beating boards that cost a lot more, for your use however it may be better to just upgrade to an i5 750 and P55 board

3. Nasgul

Nasgul Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX 512MB 700/11
    That's odd, but I've always used (since 1999) ASUS boards for all my personal builds, as a matter of fact I still have the P5WD2-Premium and the P5B-Deluxe, both rock solid and not a single issue ever.

But let me tell you what you did wrong when you paired that Q6600, first; DFI and 2nd; an nFarce based board, that's a big "NO" in my book. I only use ASUS boards but I wouldn't touch an ASUS with an nFarce chipset not even with a 10ft pole.

But your only other choice when building an Intel based system, you have the Gigabyte boards, LGA1366 preferably with an i7 930 CPU, that should be enough or the next 3 years.......

4. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Well, Asrock x58 extreme or an Asus p6t is what I would recommend. Both are good boards, the former one is a bit cheaper though and according to reviews it's a good board.

I'm with Nasgul regarding the stabilty issue. My first board in a custom build pc was some Asus BX board, never even peeked to another brand since :)

Last edited: May 26, 2010

5. the_jerboa_king

GPU:
    9600GT
    Thanks for the replies guys :)

@Jae-So: I used to play around a lot with overclocking, had an E6300 that went to 2.6@stock voltage :D so I thought I'd go DFI and push things as far as I could, etc. Then changed jobs, moved house and such, then never quite got back into things. So was thinking it might be worth scaling back, I just like the idea of knowing it's high-end parts with potential ;)

@Nasgul: I think I've just had bad luck with ASUS boards more than anything else.

Had one years ago with a AMD 2000+ that it couldn't properly read the multiplier for. It would show up as 1600+, where as I had an EPOX board (before they went cheap and pulled out of Europe) that picked it up fine.

The one that really put me off was more recently (nForce chipset, which sounds like it may have been the issue from what you say, although never had problems with nForce in any other boards). It refused point blank to work properly with the RAM I had for it. It was RAM listed on the ASUS list for tested / recommended for that board. However, it couldn't probably read the SPD timings, undervolted it, even with setting everything manually and over volting the RAM it would never make it passed the 1st pass of memtest at absolute best (and would crash installing Windows of course). RAM worked perfectly in another machine, sent the board back to be tested, was testing as working fine apparently... (overall I spent well over 12 hours going through every timing possible, it was irritating to say the least).

I'm sure there was a 3rd ASUS board between those 2 as well that had issues but can't remember now, might be wrong (I blur it with my hatred for Corsair RAM as they're two big names that people go on about that I find cause nothign but problems).

@Atlas: Asrock is just a cheap ASUS, so in my mind there's no chance! :p

Never had a problem with anything else from ASUS apart from their boards, graphic cards etc, all fine.

6. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    kool man, well yeh the board I suggested is great for an i7 build, I'd go with that, you can find em priced nicely at OCUK, Scan or Novatech, preferably the Scan as you can get cheaper delivery

7. the_jerboa_king

GPU:
    9600GT
    I use OCUK quite a bit, haven't used Scan for ages, they always used to have cheaper parts but much more expensive delivery! Will have a look through Novatech as well, had completely forgotten about them.