New Mod for Cyberpunk 2077: Optimizes RAM buffer pools

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 17, 2020.

1. sayem57

sayem57 Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX2080Ti amp
    I was getting 41 fps while driving a car but with AMD SMT fix mod now I am getting 60fps ( Also using the draw distance mod). Also, I am using digital foundry optimized RT settings, and most of the time it's 45 - 60 FPS with my 2080ti. without RT it's constant 60 FPS.

Airbud and DannyD like this.
  2. ChisChas

ChisChas Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 3080 OC
    Same here, between avoiding the bugs/glitches etc & paying far less, there's plenty to gain by waiting. I paid £12.50 for FC5, original price £48. I always have enough games to enjoy, I'm just 12-48 months behind

Airbud and schmidtbag like this.
  3. MEMEyou

MEMEyou New Member

• Removed the memory_pool_budgets.csv file. which was not connected with the final version of the game and had no influence on it (it was a leftover file used during the development to estimate memory usage. It had no effect on how much memory was actually allocated). Perceived performance increase after editing the file may have been related to restarting the game.

4. SGMRock

SGMRock Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 XC3 Hybrd
    Hotfix 1.05 - Cyberpunk 2077 — from the creators of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
    What he just posted above was posted in the next hotfix notes for PC that haven't released yet but soon.

"Removed the memory_pool_budgets.csv file. which was not connected with the final version of the game and had no influence on it (it was a leftover file used during the development to estimate memory usage. It had no effect on how much memory was actually allocated). Perceived performance increase after editing the file may have been related to restarting the game."

They also fixed the AVX issue and the AMD SMT issue. Though the AVX fix says they removed it "Removed the use of AVX instruction set thus fixing crashes occurring at the end of the Prologue on processors not supporting AVX." So how is that going to affect performance on those of us that actually have CPU's that support AVX instruction set? Seems like it would have been better to add some sort of check on CPU ability and enable or disable them based on that? Or maybe that is what they did but they didn't articulate it that way.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It won't, they were never using AVX in the first place.

6. Kool64

Kool64 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    the SMT issue was only good for 4c and 6c chips :(

7. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    3700X and 2070S here also; the hex editor fix definitely made a difference for me. Before my fps would quite often dip into the 40's and I can see my GPU usage often sit between 70-80% but after changing the values using hex editor I'd pretty much only ever dip into the 50's while mostly staying +60 fps and my GPU usage mostly stays above 90%. I've not noticed a difference after the memory fix though (but that's me manually changing the values opening up memory pool budgets file with notepad).

8. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Member Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti SLI @2101
  9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    For me i'm thinking that patch 1.04 must have fixed the pop-in and glitchy npcs i experienced early on.
    But sure pretty embarrassing best to sweep this one under the rug, i think we should delete thread.:D

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If you use the plugin that enables the dev console, the plugins inject this back into the bin. This memory pool option is in the config file, the only thing the plugin does is directs to the memory pool csv file instead. Once 1.05 hits officially, then we will not be able to use this.

For me this has only affected my lows definitely. Avg and high frame no difference, but I'm no longer dropping into the 40's with this enabled. But this did introduce a weird bug. Random NPCs will just be walking in the air now.

HARDRESET likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Thats not a bug caused by this mod, it happens in vanilla too.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Becouse 8cores is enough without smt while 4/6c is not.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I only experience this with this memory pool mod enabled. Even disabling it by getting rid of the plugin, this doesn't happen to me. For me at least I've only noticed it with at least 4 different NPC's playing in about 5 hours.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I saw it happening with only the AVX binary patch applied, and IGN mentioned it too https://twitter.com/ign/status/1338695527823597570?lang=en

15. oli3

oli3 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC
    CDPR confirmed the file has no effect, changelog in patch notes 1.05, source https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/37166/hotfix-1-05

Removed the memory_pool_budgets.csv file. which was not connected with the final version of the game and had no influence on it (it was a leftover file used during the development to estimate memory usage. It had no effect on how much memory was actually allocated). Perceived performance increase after editing the file may have been related to restarting the game.

16. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti / 290X CFX
    Same here , walk close to 4 people , one of the three rises maybe 5 feet , also seen a Air guitar with some fat guy sitting down :D

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    CDPR are talking out of their assholes. I'm getting a 5-15% FPS AVERAGE improvement even in areas that look 100% GPU bottlenecked by turning on SMT with a mod, and I tested the memory pool repeatedly, back to back, turning it off and on, it does affect performance a small amount but has a big impact on load times.

Oh look, someone did a benchmark and it matters on 8 core CPUs as well - https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kg6916/cyberpunk_to_the_people_claiming_the_smtfix_on_8/

Why are CDPR blatantly lying about this and why are idiots eating it up and laughing about it without verifying anything for themselves?

18. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    Yup, at this point CDPR cannot be trusted, i was really surprised when they said the memory pool fix done nothing so i just put the improvement i seen on the 1.04 patch.

19. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti / 290X CFX
    May have or not , downloading update now , cant wait to play !

Boy was this rushed o_O

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020