New Microcode to further increase AMD Ryzen memory compatibility

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 7, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    Much needed. Just upgraded yesterday to Ryzen 1700 from an i7 5820k @ 4GHz on water. At stock 3GHz entire system and all apps are noticeably more responsive. Rise of Tomb Raider @ 1440p high settings with HBAO+ the Ryzen was 61fps (+3fps), Gears Ultimate Ultra @1440p 70fps (+1fps) w/GTX 1070.

Got it OC'd to 4GHz but can't do "anything" with memory. HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 CL15 running at 2400MHz. Windows reporting at 1200MHz. Memory definitely needs a fix, but even with Memory dragging me down it's so much better than the 5820k it's ridiculous. There's something fishy with all these benchmarks, Ryzen performs fantastically and its still gimped. No wonder Intel is running TV commercials non-stop.

Kudos to guru3d for being one of the first tech sites to stop drinking the Kool-Aid and report on the true performance of Ryzen.

I got the 1700 on sale, and sold my 5820k for $250 online in an hour. I'm ready for Ryzen 2 and a better than Biostar (it's OK) mini-itx motherboard. I actually don't think I'll need to up the processor for some time if they can get my DIMMS running right.

It's my first AMD processor. I definitely no longer consider them second class. Looking forward to seeing if their new GPU can actually deliver equivalent value and performance.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  3. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    I might be wrong but perhaps Windows is reporting the base rate before it's doubled? (DDR = double data rate)

4. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    If you are using 2400MHz DDR4, and windows and/or CPU-z/or other monitoring program is showing 1200MHz, that is indeed correct.

1200MHz x 2 (DDR)= 2400MHz. Of course, if you are using 3000MHz RAM, it should be running at ~1500MHz to give you your rated speed.

My 2666MHz Gskill FlareX modules report @ 1333MHz for me. This is how DDR memory works, this is the same for Intel systems-- it is not an AM4 or Ryzen specific issue.

Agree about the responsiveness of the 1700. Paired with a decent SSD and AGESA 1004 BIOS update, my Win 10 Pro system boots in mere seconds, and once booted the system is extremely snappy-- I suspect having 16 threads helps tremendously with all the little background processes happening in Windows...

Ryzen is def. a game changer and an incredible value, AMD deserves good sales and some financial breathing room, the engineering of Ryzen was a valiant effort for such a small firm (compared to Chipzilla).

Last edited: May 7, 2017

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This is the new Agesa microcode big update that everyone it's waiting for and finally it's been worked on right now. New bioses are on the way and we can expect higher memory clocks with Hynix ics based memory as well as Micron , much better compatibility , more memory dividers ( hint ! DDR4-3600Mhz anyone :D ). Overall this will further improve by a lot the Ryzen echosystem , let it shine baby , let it shine ... Great times coming ahead of us !

6. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    I'm sure you're right. The system is too fast to be otherwise. It just threw me off because the X99 chipset I upgraded from, actually reported the doubled speed. But that could have been the ASRock BIOS on the x99e-itx/ac mobo.

I will say I also love the AM4. It's a helluva lot quicker to slap on an AIO water cooler.

7. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    I don't trust benches anymore, "Upgraded" to I3 6100 because it showed better gaming performance and single core performance then old I7 860. now I do get over 120 fps in games but all feels like crap, I can feel it's not really smooth. now I am going 4 ryzen 1700 :).

8. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Is it only me or does the Ryzen seems to be a beta product?

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nah, it's a major architecture shift and has a few teething problems - nothing out of the ordinary. The x99 platform had a bunch of memory issues when it came out too - still has some.

10. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    Woot! here's to hoping i get to 3200, maybe 3600 haha :)

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Is it just me or does this happen every time big new CPU architectures get released from intel as well?

No, no its not just me, it's just people don't pay attention or care when its intel.

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    PCIe issues also, with extra devices.

13. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    I remember X58 when came out was a nightmare. You can turn on the PC make a tea and the motherboard still initializing third-party controllers
    This always happens with major changes in the architecture.

14. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    x99 still does, not many know because not many can afford to play games with $500-$1600 CPUs.

I got these HyperX Predators up to 2666MHz taking the voltage to 1.5v but that's as far as I can go with it. The new BIOS should get me to full 3000MHz but I'll probably get new DIMMS and go 3600 if it supports it.

Hopefully with Ryzen being competitive, and actually the leading desktop/enthusiast processor right now based on what I'm seeing with this $300 1700, RAM manufacturers will move away from the proprietary XMP to a more open and vendor agnostic memory profiling system.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Just to be clear - this is a 2nd AGESA update, right? Because my motherboard's latest update mentions AGESA and my 3GHz RAM is stuck at 2666MHz. For whatever reason, Windows reports it at something like 1066MHz, which isn't half.

Memory is pretty much the only major issue I have with my board.

16. PhantomGamers

PhantomGamers Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 EVGA FTW
    If Windows is reporting it at 1066, that means your RAM is running at the factory default profile of 2133MHz.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    That's what I was thinking, but it doesn't make sense because it definitely says otherwise in BIOS, and if I set it beyond 2666MHz the system is unbootable.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You have to remember this is the first new product AMD has put out in years. They are still learning this platform, and seeing what they can do to make it more efficient.

19. sarsar

sarsar Guest

The bios is misleading or the board could not boot with the 2400-2666 mhz (you have a Gigabyte board right?).

My 16 gb 2400 CL 14 Corsair ram was working at 2666 1.2v CL 14 on my Intel system (i5 6600k, Asus z170).
    On my Ryzen (R7 1700, Gigabyte B350) it worked at 2133 Mhz with first 3 bios revisions and i was able to push them to 2400 Mhz but at 1.35v with the latest agesa update. The problem is that the system was restarting 2-3 times a day.

I had a issue with another computer and i split the ram and with 8 Gb i was able to push it to 2667 Mhz (over 2700 Mhz in bios and over 2500 when set at 2400 Mhz) but with 1.4v and still CL14 but more relaxed. I still get a reboot 5 times a week and last one screwed my mbr and i had to reinstall windows. :3eyes:

20. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    you need to check all the timmings and put it manually at BIOS, use AIDA64 Extreme to check all your memory timmings to make your profile compatible or just enable XMP without putting "2667MHz" on BIOS, when you enables XMP higher clocks must apply automatically

21. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Nope - BioStar (it's in my sig). The computer won't boot beyond 2666MHz. I managed to get above 2700MHz when using BCLK, but the system wasn't totally stable.
    Even though the BIOS acknowledges the speed I set it to, Windows doesn't. From what I recall, CPU-Z and Linux seem to disagree with both the BIOS and Windows but I can't remember what those say (I don't think it was 1333MHz but maybe it was).

Try increasing the SoC voltage. I hear that helps with stability issues. In my experience, the SoC voltage does not help with booting at higher speeds.