New Maxtor CLICKS - What the hell?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Saeid, Sep 12, 2005.

1. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Saeid, is your HD black? If so then we've got the same HD's :D

2. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    Yup its black (i believe all WD's now come in black - plus it goes with my case) ;)

:bounce:

Its quite smart really... the color helps heat evaporate faster than silver... why didnt anyone else think of this before? Seagate has gone from polished to dull and it claims it helps reduce heat...

3. scorpion

scorpion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 6800GT Golden Samp
    It's all a matter of luck, its like buying a video card that won't overclock as good as another one identical to it, luck of the draw.

I've used 2xseagates, 4xmaxtor (2 are quantim fireball 6.4 and 8gb) and my WD raptor, both seagates failed on me, maxtor and WD haven't had any problems (thank god).

Loud accessing noise? ofcourse it happens when the drive isn't being used a lot or it hasn't visited a certain area, all drives do it, on maxtor the seek is loud, like my 120gb, i hardly use it, its purely a storage drive and when i do access it for the first time, it does do a loud seeking sound. The more on the hard drive the more it has to seek, and maxtor are known to have loud seeking noise. Personally Maxtor and WD all the way, but like they say, 99.9% of hard drives will fail one day, so back your stuff up frequently.

4. RTSAnime

RTSAnime Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800 GTX 256MB
    I personally know nothing about the specific hard drive in question, but my Maxtor Maxline III is silent and performs beautifully.

5. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    i got a WD2500JD (WD 250gb sata1, 8meg cache)
    and i'm about to get a WD2500KS (WD 250gb sata2, 16meg cache) i have had my existing drive for 10 months now with no problems its very quiet etc.

WD2500JD
    Acoustics
    Idle Mode 34 dBA (average)
    Seek Mode 0 36 dBA (average)
    Seek Mode 3 35 dBA (average)
    can't hear it over 26db fan anyway

and the
    WD2500KS
    Acoustics
    Idle Mode 28 dBA (average)
    Seek Mode 0 33 dBA (average)
    Seek Mode 3 29 dBA (average)