New low level driver loader - Work with UAC ON

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Public Beta Section' started by Cheerpipe, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Cheerpipe

Cheerpipe Guest

GPU:
    2X HD48702 1GB CF
    New Windows x64 low level driver loader - Work with UAC ON

As all already know, the current method to load att low level driver is not compatible with UAC or non admin accounts, so you need to disable UAC if you want to use ATT in Windows x64.

I see many people that want to use uac and att, and because this i have been working on updated method to load att low level driver.

This new methos load the driver through a windows service, so it dont interact with windows users and always have elevated privileges.

Instructions:

1. Download new driver loader: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ABPQ2ZRZ

(old and aparently bugged version )http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YE83OMM5
    2. Delete current loader file attdrv64.exe
    3. Copy attdrv64srv.exe to aty tray tool folder (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Ray Adams\ATI Tray Tools)
    4. Install the service running "attdrv64srv.exe /install". IMPROTANT: Installation mode must be running with admin privileges.
    5. Restart your PC and enjoi.
    If you want to uninstall the service, just run "attdrv64srv.exe /uninstall" IMPROTANT: Uninstallation mode must be running with admin privileges.

NOTE: This is a very first beta of my new loader, so it can be buggy or not work on all system, i have tested it on 6 systems without problems, i hope it also work well for you.

NOTE2: The service memory usage is very low to a windows service, only 516kb and less in my system, so, enjoi and dont worry about memory ussage.

########### EDIT 1###########

Added /start /stop /restart and /? to the executable.

########### EDIT 1###########

########### EDIT 2###########

Fix: Some times att driver is not loaded properly... New download link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ABPQ2ZRZ

########### EDIT 2###########

And a last thing, sorry my bad english

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. DOCa Cola

DOCa Cola New Member

GPU:
    sounds interesting :) however the file seems down. i get a message that the file currently can not be downloaded when accessing the site
    "The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable."

3. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    No needs to run it every time ATT start, I assume? The problem can be in situation when ATT unable to detect is driver already loaded or not

4. Cheerpipe

Cheerpipe Guest

GPU:
    2X HD48702 1GB CF
    Exactly, you not need to start it every time, the is installed as automatic by default.

If ATT dont detect the driver (only in case of service was disabled by the user, or set to manual), you can start the service from ATT. the service name is attdrv64srv, so it is not really a problem. By the other way, the method used to force the driver load is the same as my previous loader, the only diference is the new loader work as a service.

Another thing, if the service is stoped, it automaticaly unload the ATT driver from memory, because this, if thervice is stopped, ATT will automaticaly by closed by the service.

Can sound complex, but is very simple, the service install with /install command line, and uninstall with /uninstall. If the service is running ATT driver is loaded, if not, driver also is not loaded.

ATT can take the control of the service, in case of problems with the service, if ATT dont detect the low level driver, just need to relaunch the service.

Uffff, sorry my bad english, i hope you can understandme xD.

5. spaceger

spaceger Member

Hello,

your service is now running on my machine, win764.

well its start, but FPS display and screenshot wont work until i restart ATT.

Any Ideas?

Good Work

6. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Sounds good, but it seems I have to make a lot of changes in ATT :)

7. Cheerpipe

Cheerpipe Guest

GPU:
    2X HD48702 1GB CF
    Not realy, just this:

1.- If low level driver is not loaded (check this as always) launch the service instead attdrv64.

2.- If the low level driver is loaded, do nothing.

The code to start and stop windows services is avaible in the web, but if you want, i can add a commandline /start /stop to the service executable.

You not need to check if the service is runing, just check for the driver as all others att versions.

In fact, if you delete att64drv.exe from att folder, and launch my service, current att version work fine.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  8. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Add these command line commands, please :)

9. Cheerpipe

Cheerpipe Guest

GPU:
    2X HD48702 1GB CF
    Done, now att can take the control of the service easily

10. Kuldebar

Kuldebar Guest

GPU:
    GT730 2GB/DDR5
    This x64 low level driver loader works for me, probably would save a lot of grief and repetitive questions if it was stickied. ;)

In addition to the wonderful loader I used Johnjk's advice about using the Task Scheduler to start ATT he posted here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3314055&postcount=3

11. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Where is a last version located? I think its time to include it in installation package.

12. Kuldebar

Kuldebar Guest

GPU:
    GT730 2GB/DDR5
  13. ruediman

ruediman New Member

GPU:
    ATI fireGL v5600
    does not load my profile

So I did. Thank you for all the Tipps and Tricks here! :-D

So after restart, the service is running (attdrv64srv).
    As well as two processes (atitray.exe*32; ATTdrv64srv.exe)

But no ATT tray Icon and ATT did not load my Profiles (Fan settings)
    I am using ATT basically for settings Fan Speeds...

So what can I do to get my profiles loaded?
    --
    DisplayDriver: FirePro_8.683_Vista64_94034
    Catalyst™ Control Center-Version: 2009.1217.1632.29627
    Vista64Business SP2

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  14. ruediman

ruediman New Member

GPU:
    ATI fireGL v5600
    Now even with that workaround Win kept to refuse loading the LowLevelDrivers and quit ATT.

Trying to fix that for several days now. Running out of ideas.
    To come worse maya won´t launch it´s UI only as a process when ATT is running.

What is the "official" setup to get ATT 1.6.9. 1472 started and launch it´s profiles under vista64 with UAC turned on? Some diferent approaches here in the forums:confused:

I only want to set fixed fan speeds. Is there any way to generate them with ATT and link them to GPU profiles in the registry or elsewhere?
    Where are profiles stored so to edit them manually?

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    UAC is to protect Windows from its owners to mess it up.
    So if your not scared to mess it up you can disable the UAC.
    I do use this, but got a backup of my working system too.

Don't ask how to use this, cause if you don't know, your probably shouldn't disable UAC.

16. AHPD

AHPD Active Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6800 XT
    I use Driver Signature Overrider to disable driver signature enforcement. Then i use an Watermark remover and it's done. ATT Driver works perfectly for me.

Windows 7 x64 here.

17. Hancoque

Hancoque Member

I started having the same problem after using System Restore today. I used to start ATT via right-click - "Run as administrator" after each boot, which worked fine until now. Any idea what could be causing this? I'm using Windows 7.

18. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Turning UAC off is only way to run att in X64 version of Vista and Win7. Also sometimes even with UAC disabled Windows Defender also can prevent ATT from start its low level driver.

19. Hancoque

Hancoque Member

It's working again. I have no clue what changed to make it work again.

Well, it worked before and it now works again with UAC enabled. I simply run ATT with administrator privileges once after booting the OS, then end it and start it again normally. I guess that works because the driver stays in memory and therefore doesn't need to be loaded by ATT when run a second time.

20. neologan

neologan Member

ok, i have no idea what this means: Install the service running "attdrv64srv.exe /install"

using what?