New Laptop Hard Shutdown

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Aztek87, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Aztek87

Aztek87 Active Member

GPU:
    NV Geforce GTX 780M 4GB
    Well, this just happened...I started playing BF3 and within 2 minutes my guy starts moving on its own and all of a sudden computer is OFF, not a restart, no normal shutdown just OFF. I went to the event viewer and it just says that windows wasnt shut down properly, I used whocrashed and it says no dump files were created.

I just installed the new Nvidia beta driver 320.00 but would a driver really cause a hard shutdown like that? It was like the computer just lost power and its plugged in too and in a pretty expensive surge protector too.

I'm still within my 30 day return window and I paid $2000+ at LPC-Digital, should I just return this laptop? what would you guys do?

Max temps ive seen the GPU is 73C and CPU 62C while gaming.

Thank you.

The specs are:

Windows 8 64bit Pro
    NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 680M 4GB GDDR5 Memory
    3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)
    8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB
    Crucial® M4 128GB SATA III SSD
    750GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Disk Drive

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    It might do, the ati driver side of things used to cause endless blue screens as soon as it started up, are you saying an old version was stable that you can go back to?

A way to check if it is the video driver is to start in safe mode, none will be loaded there other than a default windows one.

3. kiya

kiya Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 660 Twin Frozr III
    create the same conditions again.. if it crashes, repeat it with teh WHQL drivers.. if stable then no prob, if crashes even then get it replaced.. you could try another game though, but i recommend you get it replaced..

BTW, when switching from beta to whql.. a simple uninstall wont do.. use this instead

http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Drivers don't make PC's shut down, it's probably a hardware fault. I would just return it instead of messing around trying to troubleshoot.

5. Aztek87

Aztek87 Active Member

GPU:
    NV Geforce GTX 780M 4GB
    Yes I didn't want to do it because I barely have less than 2 weeks with it but I don't want to risk it, I'm getting it replaced with a brand new one.

Thank you everyone for your replies.