New keyboard....again

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sykozis, Sep 29, 2012.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Well, I'm sick of wireless keyboards. I've been looking for a new keyboard for the last few weeks. Every time I wander past a keyboard display in store I have to stop and "play" with the keyboards on display. I'm having a hard time finding a keyboard I like because my desk (keyboard/mouse tray) is very small at just under 24" (or just a tadbit over 60cm). Currently I have an MS Wireless Keyboard 2000 which has issues recording keystrokes from time to time. I want something with a wire...period. I've had nothing but problems from wireless keyboards since moving to this house. So far, the Roccat Arvo and the GEAR HEAD KB1700U are the best options I've found. I'm leaning more towards the Roccat Arvo but wanted to see what people think about Roccat products in general. If you have experience with this particular keyboard, I'd appreciate you sharing it. If there's something better with a similar size, please share.

Opinions, options, facts.....share it all. I'm about ready to start pulling my hair out trying to find a suitable keyboard....

2. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Logitech Illuminated?

3. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Leopold tenkeyless with either MX blue(more clicky, louder) or MX brown (less clicky but still tactile, quieter) switches.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless&pid=fc200rcab

After nearly a year behind my razer BlackWidow( MX blues) and months using my leopold tenkeyless otaku for work (MX browns) I can say that I love both for each situation, and they have still not lost any feel or responsiveness since I bought them.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  4. sirrith

sirrith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    I really like my razer blackwidow stealth.

5. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Anything but a razer, had 2 key boards, both had driver issues. All they sell is a name, no quality.

6. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    My tarantula was pretty bad, but my blackwidow has been flawless.

Compared to the fact the blackwidow was comparably priced to other mechanical keyboards, its actually quite good.

The Cacharias I had lasted 4 years of hard use before the cables started fraying internally, perhaps it was a bit premature but I was not exactly gentle on the cables.
    A lot better than the logitech headsets I had that lasted 3-5 months before breaking. (I had 3, they broke like clockwork !!)
    Also my Mamba has been pretty good, and I just got a Blackshark that's been pretty phenomenal so far.

The BlackWidow stealth uses cherry MX brown keys, the regular blackwidow uses MX blues.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Unfortunately, the Blackwidow is too wide.

The Logitech Illuminated keyboard is wider than my MS Wireless Keyboard 2000....wider isn't an option as my mouse has to fit on the tray with my keyboard.

8. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    As I said, check out the leopold tenkeyless models, I have one on my desk I just measured 14 1/8" wide.

9. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    I second the Leopold and they have a matte finish. If I were to buy again I would get it over my current Daskeyboard for that reason alone.

10. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    ^ Exactly this. I have heard some smack about the quality of some Razer products, but I have had absolutely no problem with my Blackwidow. Its of a solid build quality and types VERY well. My model has the Cherry Blues, but like he said the stealth one comes with Browns. I guess the Blues are supposed to be the bomb for typing, while the Browns are supposed to be a balance of "good for typing" and gaming. While this has been great for me, I can honestly say I don't know if the Cherry MX Blues offer any real advantage in gaming.

EDIT: oops, I didn't realize you said the BW is too wide for your work space. Nevermind. Check out the Rosewill or the CM Storm ones, they are affordable and less wide.

11. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
  12. vavyn

vavyn Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    What about CM storm quickfire rapid. Small enough for your desk.

13. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Yeah but apparently it has rampant QC issues look at the reviews there

The switches on them are nice but I think they need an entire product that is good before charging $80 US

14. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i went for a ducky shine with cherry reds. its more or less the same as my old leopold fc500r except this has a few extra keys/functions and has full led backlight.

15. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    CM Storm Quickfire Rapid $70 AR. Compact and simple mechanical keyboard with NKRO, modular wire, multimedia keys. It has no numeric pad so it's only 14 inch wide, leaving 10 inches for your mouse.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I've added the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid to the list of potential purchases. The wife shot down the Leopold due to the $100 price tag.

Current list is:
    ROCCAT Arvo
    CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

17. vavyn

vavyn Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
  18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The Arvo is $54 shipped from Newegg...

The Gear Head keyboard has been removed from the list

19. sirrith

sirrith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    I would not go for CM storm products again, although I've only experienced their mice. First one was horrible (issues with skipping etc...), second one just died for absolutely no reason after 2 years of moderate use (got up to get a drink, came back and the sensor was completely dead).

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Seems the only complaint I've found for the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid is the noise from the mechanical key switches (Cherry MX Blue switches).

Being that I typically just walk into BestBuy and grab whatever keyboard is cheapest, I don't know **** about these Cherry MX switches and what exactly the colors mean other than blue seems to be rather loud and a lot of people seem to prefer brown.