1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New intel microcode update KB4100347 kills Broadwell-E overclock.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by HeavyHemi, Sep 18, 2018.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    No issues on 4.2GHz 2500K here. No BIOS update is available from MSI (and extremely unlikely that they will offer one.) So system boots with old microcode, Windows then updates it at startup, the OC doesn't seem to be affected.

R41DZ3R0 likes this.
  2. cartdog

cartdog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti H20
    I'm wondering if this is having issues with X79 platform too. Doing a very simple overclock (upping the multiplier) would result in an error message at post, requiring me to restore BIOS to default settings in order to get into Windows.

3. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Luckily this did not affect the overclock of my 6850K on an Asus x99 Deluxe. It's still overclocked just as it was before the update.

4. Drask

Drask New Member

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC
    Just installed the update on my 5930K, MSI X99 MPOWER. All cores still @ 4.4GHz.

5. fry178

fry178 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 X@2GHz
    @Alan Stables
    so you wanna tell us that you tend to swap things like motherboard aka chipset/sata/usb for different hardware, without doing a clean install of windows?

not even talking about the fact its usually not that a new rig that gets its internals swapped,
    so a clean install would also help/improve overall performance, not just with drivers/potential issues outside win...

hope your job isnt IT related.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    WU KB with updated microcode loads its microcode during OS boot stage. I assume "at post" stage is still BIOS stage. So most probably it has nothing yo do with your problem.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Well, many Operating Systems have Hardware Abstraction Layer to avoid deep and wide dependency from hardware. So I guess MS devs compile many HW dependent modules (developed with OEMs) and ship them within installation image (and maybe can update later).

8. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    It affected my 6900k and Rampage 10 Black Edition. Only boosted to 3.7 Uninstalled it and am now back to 4.4

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Thanks for the warning @HeavyHemi , will have to check if I got that update (probably not automatically, win10 1607).

10. fabtech

fabtech New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    No problem for me with i7 6950X @ 4.3GHz and MSI X99A SLI PLUS

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Oh dear , i hope they fix this mess soon for you guys.

Maddness likes this.
  12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I just clean installed Windows 10 17763.1 1809 RTM, and now I have no way to get rid of that bug as it's already integrated into the OS and is not a separate download and install.

Any ideas on how I can get the extra 500mhz that I'm missing on my 6900K back? I'm running on an Asus X99-A II.

13. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Here's a few options. Note that I'm still on 1803 so I can't guarantee these will work for you but doesn't hurt to try.

1) Try and uninstall(if available) the update via "Start> Settings> Update and Security> Windows Update> View update history> Uninstall updates". Look for KB4100347 and then click uninstall. Reboot your system and the overclocking should return.

2) This is not specifically to the overclocking problem but I assume it still applies. Taken from this reddit thread.

Update; Things I tried that don't work:

• Recovery points fail no matter how old or new they are

• Removing the package via DISM on the recovery console is succesful, but the system still won't boot
    Edit 2: What worked for me, I'm going to write this one out so anybody who has this issue irregardless of skill can fix it if they stumble upon this topic.

I just succeeded in repairing one workstation that couldn't boot anymore into Windows. This was what I did:

• Boot into WinRE (press F9 before Windows starts)

• Choose Advanced Options and go to the command line option

• You have to find out now which letter the Windows partition got; start diskpart and type 'list disk'. Select the one which matches your OS drive. Type 'list volumes'. It'll spew out a list. The biggest one should be Windows. Two small ones of around 500MB should be there, ignore those.

• Close diskpart by typing 'exit'

• Now type 'dism /image:<driveletter here> /get-packages'. This should result in a list of packages. Find KB4100347. It's name is quite long, but you can copy it by selecting it and right clicking

• Now type 'dism /image:<driveletter here> /remove-package /PackageName:<The really long name of the KB4100347>'

• Now type 'dism /image:<driveletter here> /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions' as to undo the damage done
    When done, reboot the system and Windows works again. And possibly use something like "wushowhide.diagcab" to hide the problematic update(kb4100347).

3) Do a clean RTM 1803 install(remember to backup anything important) and take it from there.

4) Other options some more experienced members might provide.

Good luck! :)

P.S: Bonus. Funny thing. I also checked with Microsoft "Show or hide updates utility(wushowhide.diagcab)" right now and look what we have here. :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I downgraded windows from 1809. I was on 1803, but that Game Mode update had half assed scheduler for GPU. And it gave automatically excessive GPU priority to fullscreen / windowed-fulscreen applications.
    So, My streaming app (OBS Studio) did not have access to GPU when game used it close to max. And OBS simply did not get new frames to process and encode.

So I went to that 1809 hoping that they finished GPU scheduler... No. So downgrade way below that to LTSB. Currently running 90 days trial which I think can be rearmed for another 90 days or maybe even more.
    But it does not matter, it takes me like 20 minutes to get Windows and everything working way I want. (From moment I press install.)

15. Skylinestar

Skylinestar Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Great. intel being the king at cock-block. BCLK, SkyOC, Management Engine, and now this.

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    @ Koniakki and Fox2232, I solved the problem thanks to HeavyHemi, at least temporarily. If you are on 1809, none of those solutions will work as the microcode is embedded into the OS itself and not merely as an update. So the only solution is to remove, alter or change the mcupdate_genuineintel.dll located in Windows/System32 folder. You have to take ownership of it first before doing so however. Doing that seems to remove the bug completely. It's a temporary fix, as the cumulative updates should fix the problem.

See this post for more information

Koniakki and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. rebel14788

rebel14788 New Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti LIGHTNING Z
    this is SH1** i got this oc block attack for my 6850K - RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 exactlly on 31 AUGUST ( and yet have no clue how this update belongs to 14 sep when this attack happened to me on 31 aug)
    heres what happned : 31 august 2018 3 AM my pc was on already and i was afk then after 3 hours i came back i saw my pc has been turned off by itself i pushed the power button nothing happened pushed pushed pushed nothing happened then i pushed the SAFE BOOT button on the board it turned on got into bios and checked for everything and my overclocks settings in bios and everything was on correct Numbers for voltages ferequencies and timings which im using now for 2 years full stable: (6850K @ 4.3 1.35v - @4.4 1.4v FULL STABLE and for my 4x8GB tridentz rams > 3400mhz CL 14-15-16 with some configurations on secondery and third timings) , so i closed the bios and then bam system turned off again then back again to bios rolled back everything to the default bios setting with No overclock and F10 saved and restart then back to windows called my super geniuse friend who is among top 10 RAM overclockers in the world , told him about the issue HE WAS SO SHOCKED then suddenly i remebered the SPECTRE MELTDOWN thing and i told him can it be because of that ? then he and i started to research about related issues with bios/windows updates or any sort of cpu microcode attack and motherboard firmware attack on the net after hours we figured out that its 99% an intel sabotage to my cpu microcode or bios frameware (not the bios for sure because i switched between 2 bioses and in all of them same problem and i did clear cmos flashed bios 100 times no goal) ,
    and he said intel is doing this randomly or to almost every systems that are currently runing x99 platforms or some other platform or cpus to force them buy the new Upcoming 9 series or extreme series so i was so MAD AT intel and whoever did this : """"""""suddenly NO overclock for ur thousandS dollars pc and throw it to your garbage u r f***ked now""""""" because i even myself had plans on buying the new 9 series myself from 3 months before and i was getting ready to sell my cpu/mb bundle and get the new ones and then the last minute i have to face """""""""how to sell it at a good price with no overclock option on it......""""""""

LONG TALK SHORT 2 days ago my friend showed me these news about this kb4100347 i couldnt believe what im hearing and all these folks who have faced my issue on their haswell-E and broadwel-E pcs i got so happy and shocked at the same time i cant believe what intel and microsoft have just did with this microcode update intel calm down and know that u cant threat ur users with these type of threats and this is not how cpu making companies business work in todays world many of us have been or still are your fans and enjoyed your products all these years and have had respects to you all the time This is not the way to appreciate them in response.

guru3d thanks and appreciate in Advance for making this public and ur working and correct solution for this sad and unpleasing senario and situation that happened to many of us , MY SYSTEM COULDNT EVEN BOOT ON ANYTHING MORE THAN 2133 mhz FOR DRAMS FEREQUENCIE NO XMP AND NO TIMINGS THAN AUTO AND FOR THE CPU I COULDNT EVEN SET TO >> sync all cores...I HAD TO SET EVERYTHING ON "AUTO" AND MY CPU WAS RUNING @ ITS DEFAULT 3.6 GHZ (and ofcourse on windows for my power plan i switched to>> performance mode to be able to run on 3.8 ghz last days of using it)

PS:i have to add that this update also Broked my first bios and left it Corrupted because i got the latest bios (1902 Beta) to test if it solves the issue or not at that moment but shockingly in the middle of the installation of the new bios process stopped and system off so seems that microcode update blocked the instalation process and i lost the first bios and now have just the second Bios available on my board:|

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  18. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 6GB Armor OC
    I've had this kind of "thing" on an "H" gaming motherboard that could allow me to increase clocks on all cores. Afterwards deliberately MSI removed it claiming it was Microsoft's decision. Obviously nothing related, you have a problem here.

Back then MS stated "H" MotherBoards worn't be able anymore to OC the Cores.

P.S. Perhaps something similar happened by mistake...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  19. erkki82

erkki82 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti Hybrid
    I have Rampage V and 6900k and luckily even after of installation of the KB4100347 my system work with overclock.
    I have the latest 3902 bios with I bit updated ME from Win-Raid forum.
    So not all hope is lost at least on my case :)
    I think MS had two revisions of that KB4100347 patch and newer might be decent?

20. Gripen90

Gripen90 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    What BIOS version are you running ?

Going to update my BIOS later to see if it fixes the issue.