1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Intel Coffee Lake Processor Prices Pop Up at US Webshops

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. robintson

robintson Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA_GTX1080_FTW
    Small typo where is written:
    • Core i5 8300 - 135 USD
    • Core i5 8500 - 205 USD
    • Core i6 8600 - 225 USD
    It is actually: i5 8600-225 USD

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Seems Intel's confidence still hasn't diminished.

4. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1070 / gtx 1080ti
    hmmm...looks to me like the i5 8600 is the only intriguing proc on that list.
    at $225 it is competitive with Ryzen 7, with slightly higher clocks/ipc... but it will be hot and relatively hard to cool...requiring (to me) at least a closed loop vs. the perfectly good (and overclockable) *free* wraith cooler adding at least $80 in cost if you do not plan on watercooling the Ryzen too.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    The 8600 has 4 fewer threads too, so depending on your workload it still might not be sufficient. But for gamers, I personally would recommend the 8600K over a 1700(X).

6. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1070 / gtx 1080ti
    i see your reasoning and i would tend to agree.
    but that's also mainly for high twitch FPS games/ultimate performance.
    for people who play MOBA's and RTS games they do not need to overclock, i dare say (the mass market) that they won't.
    which gets back to the Ryzen 7 saving a minimum of $80 with one fewer part to buy.
    the Intel K series is going to be the esports cpu regardless.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Haha I have a rig dedicated to nothing but gaming based on Ryzen and if I were to go back in time to make the choice again, I would. After all, I'm not a competitive gamer and I'm perfectly content with 60FPS. I've also built a gaming PC for someone else based on Ryzen. That being said, I'm certainly not one to discourage people from getting a Ryzen for gaming, but, the 8600K is objectively a better gamer's CPU vs a Ryzen 7. Whether or not it is necessary is a whole other story, but, both CPUs are arguably unnecessary.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Actually the most intriguing new processor listed is the 8500 at $205. With a cheaper MOBO this paired with the 1060 (if you can find one around MSRP) would make a phenomenal budget system that would crush 1920x1080.

9. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1070 / gtx 1080ti
    are we being forced to the gtx 1060 because it sucks at mining?
    it's time again to do my graduation presents and i'd really rather do the rx580/freesync monitor. but right now rx 580s are going for way more than the gtx 1060.
    into the realm of "get a freaking job and buy your own" instead of "attaboy".