New headset for Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium HD

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Darkasantion, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    So I bought this new Soundcard for a new build I'm making, and didn't notice that the card had multiple digital outputs, instead of the old analog ones(read a few reviews, but completely missed that part somehow). This means I can't use my current Headset anymore, the Speedlink Medusa 5.1. I always loved it and would've kept it if the connectors would've allowed it.

But now I'm going to replace it and thus I'm faced with the issue of selecting a new headset which will be an upgrade from the Medusa 5.1 but also will utilize the potential of the X-Fi Titanium HD to the max.

So've been looking at different headset, yet have a really hard to decide what's good or not.
    First of all, do I want another 5.1 Headset, or is a stereo-headset also decent enough for good gaming?
    I'm mainly playing WoW and WoT, along with a few race-games and FPS so I need a headset who's good in various circumstances/condititions. I also want a headset with a mic and a wire, altough there are some good wireless sets out there, I'm not a fan of those.

I've decided to set the budget on €100~€150, because the rest of the build is also going to be high-end, so it would be a shame to be greedy when it comes down to the headset.
    After some searching I came up with the following options(but still open to other good suggestions) and I would like to hear your opionion about it.

Sennheiser HD 598 €140 (Expensive, but always hear good opinions regarding Sennheiser, so is this good enough for gaming, altough it "lacks" a true 5.1 setup??)
    Sennheiser HD 558 €103 (Cheaper version, bargin or is the extra €37 worth it?)
    Sharkoon X-Tatic Digital Headset € 86(5.1 and Digital, supposed to be good for gaming)
    Razer Carcharios €60 (No 5.1, but supposed to be a good headset)
    Plantronics Gamecom 367 €26(Cheap, but supposed to be good??)

2. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I have made several comments regarding the lack of 5.1 analog with the Creative HD in more than one thread here. As it sits right now,your best bet is to get a decent set of stereo headphones and utilize the CMSS found in the Creative cards. Not everyone has a 5.1 analog set up,but for the price you pay for the HD card,it SHOULD have 5.1 analog as an option. Good luck my friend.

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Why do you think this card has multiple digital output?

Remember this card has no headphone amplifier so keep that in mind and if you want a set that requires one you will need to buy an external one.

4. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    Digital is actually an optical in/output, but I still can't use my old Medusa 5.1 anymore.
    So which Stereo headphones should I get then?

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    No, this card is only stereo so you cannot use 5.1 speaker or headphone but you can use stereo speakers with he cards upmix routines that imitate surround. The other option would be the get an external Dolby Digital Decoder module but that would probably downgrade your sound system depending on the unit.

6. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I use Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80's.. They are a closed design.. I just love them for everything.. Sounds awesome in games too.. Great deep,tight bass.. Not over powering bass tho.. You won't be disappointed.. :)