New hardware Name after gpu bios update! Normal?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by moheban79, Jun 19, 2014.

1. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Hi,

I have the Asus 290x dc2oc model and I foolishly ran the bios update program I downloaded from the Asus support site. Does not give any warning after launching and precedes to flash. Scariest 5 minutes ever. Nearly crapped my pants. Anyhow after the updater said that the bios version did not change but the hardware name was updated! Normal or nuts?

Thanks.

2. mayberry1

mayberry1 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 660 Ti FTW+
    What is the current hardware name compared to the previous one?

3. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    same card but new name

I will have to check tonight after work. It was a product sku type name. Wish I had a screen shot. Will have to use gpu-z to find out after work. Was a weird install. Card locked up the desktop after 14.6 beta driver install. Took two tries to install catalyst. Had to drop my cpu overclock to stock. Now stable on 14.4 but wondering can a powerful card destabilize one's overclock? All I have is one gpu and a 1200 watt psu. Was working fine day before with the 280x that was in there before!

Thanks.

4. mayberry1

mayberry1 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 660 Ti FTW+
    That's strange 0_0

Your overclock shouldn't be causing an issue like that if it's stable, and you have more than enough wattage from your PSU.

Did you do a clean install of the Catalyst drivers when you installed the 290X? Also, did the display name change in Windows' driver manager, or just the SKU name in the Catalyst software? It doesn't make sense to me why the name would change if the BIOS wasn't overwritten (in the case of the BIOS update failure).

5. BIGGRIMTIM

BIGGRIMTIM Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
    I have the same card, but in crossfire. I have run the BIOS updater three times now since I am using cards purchased at launch. I noticed the with the name change. I have not had any stability issues. I did have issues installing 14.6 also. I was able to get it installed only after updating my MB drivers first.