New hardware installed and the only thing that dont work is IE-7

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by dominant1, Jul 6, 2007.

1. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    Hey guys i just did an upgrade to me system i added a gigabyte p-35 mobo, a core 2 duo extreme 6800 and corsair xm2 memory 2 gigs worth, I also added a Zalman 9700 cooler. The system works great, I even got lucky and didn't have to reinstall windows xp pro, it just booted right up 1st boot with all my previous settings. The only problem is when i click the IE-7 icon i get a blank page and its get stuck on "connecting" after that i cant cancel the page with the "x" or control alt delete it . I went to Microsoft using Firefox, (my normal browser), and downloaded IE-7 all over again restarted my pc as it request and still i get the same thing. I need IE-7 for 1 thing-- windows updates, and i don't want to turn on windows automatic updater because i am a gamer and even though i have a core2... i don't want any bandwidth interruptions from the automatic updates, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  2. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Well I guess the first thing you should do is remove all your old motherboard and onboard device drivers, and replace them with the new ones.

Is IE-7 set to work offline? (its a no-brainer I know, but every now and then, it does that to me)

How is IE-7 set up to access the internet?

3. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    Woohoo arent you an idiot, format you HD and do a fresh install of winxp and stop being lazy.

4. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for the vote of confidence sniper daws , i tried calling myself a lazy idiot but guess what Ie-7 still don't work, but your input was helpful. Up until your post, i had no idea i was a lazy idiot (its a revelation).......its strange though fire fox works great Thunderbird works great, Ie-7 doesn't.. and outlook stopped working for me a long time ago...before the upgrade.

5. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fresh install of windows xp pro still same issue IE-7 wont show me any web pages wierd...

6. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    ^^What about me... my post wasn't dumb.

7. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    i have never had to set up ie- to connect online but if the browser freezes when i bring it up how do i set it to connect online ...

8. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Clean install would seem to rule out old settings/old hardware issues.

Did you try IE6 ?
    Is outlook working now after the clean install ?
    Can you load IE in safe mode, or do it still freeze ?
    New CPU...maybe some DEP issue ?

Do it load without a home page ?

Start > Run > "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

9. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    i will try that but i figured a way around it.... i just turn auto updates on and my windows updates come thru without the browser, then when its done i turn it off again. thank god i like to use firefox and thunderbird for my browsing and mail they work great....

10. Boing

Boing Banned

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT XXX

lol, i cant believe i got banned for that, anyway nevermind, did you do a format and a fresh install ?

also you could try this, open ie7, click tools>internet options> Advanced tab> then click restore defaults AND Reset, it might work.

failng that, could it be firefox conflicting ?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007

11. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ****That worked*** thanks*** i don't know what happened but it works now...