New Hardware in 2014

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kirkyl, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 OC (Core 216)
    Wow its been a very very long time since I've posted here but its good to be back.

I've been out of the hardware loop for a very long time and I'm looking to get back into PC gaming next year since my PC went dead on me and relying on my old laptop for my internet kicks. Been enjoying my time with consoles again and I am looking forward to both the PS4 and Xbox One but I want to return to PC gaming before I make a splash with either of the next gen systems. I've just missed the hell out of it

I'm planning on saving up a lot of money for a new rig at the start of the new year but I'm a bit clueless about what is coming up and the last thing I want to do is jump on a socket that has been around for a couple of years (e.g. Socket 1155/2011) just as a new socket comes out a few months after. I want to jump on something that is brand new but I only have a rough idea what is coming up.

DDR4, New Intel socket and next nVidia/ATI hardware but as to when they are due, I have no idea. The time frame I'm looking building my new pc is between April and the last part of Summer next year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, its good to be back.:)

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3(2GB)
  3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Well, since you are talking April-July next year, I wouldn't even go for an i7-3770K, the i7-4770K would make more sense. However, by that time Intel's next CPU may be on the near horizon, so the i7-5770K (or whatever they decide to call the i7-4770K equivalent) may be worthwhile looking in to.

4. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Maha Guru

GPU:
    I've just been looking around and Haswell-E is due around the second half of 2014 along with DDR4 so I'm thinking of saving up from January onwards towards that new platform and by the time it comes out and I should be more than be able to afford it with ease. Going to pick up a decent gaming laptop to keep those urges in check till I wait for Haswell-E.

Thank you guys.:)

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I doubt it will be so soon, from what I saw its more like Q4 2014 or early 2015..

But yeah 8core(16thread) Haswell-e with ddr4 would rock :D

6. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 290X
    ****. That sounds real nice... Wanna upgrade this winter but I don't think I can wait longer than that... That's the thing with computers there is always something nicer coming out that tempts you to wait 3-6 months or in this case maybe longer. But I guess that's not a bad thing.. it'd get boring real quick if the technology advancement rate was at a crawling pace.

7. Megabiv

Megabiv Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)

Now that sounds like something of an upgrade for my aging i7-950.

8. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Maha Guru

GPU:
    I heard second half of 2014 so that could be anytime after summer but yes you are right, its not out till roughly this time next year but unless a killer game such as Half-Life 3/Doom 4 has a solid release date of next year (highly doubt it, just spit balling here), I'll hold off for Haswell E and DDR4.:)