New GTX 980 photo surfaces in Asia

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Over in Asia the forum ChipHell posted a photo of a reference design geForc GTX 980, this photo shows the monitor connectors. It looks like everybody will get a nice surprise as the card photo shows n...

New GTX 980 photo surfaces in Asia

2. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    For this one I will pass , 780ti hasn't played many games . It needs to suffer a bit . Plus , I will wait for a real game changer and a real game that changes GPU power perspective

3. EKRboi

EKRboi Guest

GPU:
    3x GTX970 / 3x AOC i2757
    Glad to see the "titan" cooler sticking around on these cards. I can see the Twin Frozr type coolers being good for single card setups and cases with really good air flow, but I have my doubts about the way those coolers blow hot air around inside the case for multi card rigs. Coming from 580's that can only do 2 monitors on a single card all of those ports are B-E-A-utiful to me.

I just want the full specs already! Tired of reading "armchair experts" opinions, many it seems just trying to justify that 780ti purchase they made a month ago. :bang:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  4. benq

benq Guest

GPU:
    Waiting for 1000 series

5. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    problems with GPU , they evlove rapidly ...the more you wait the best thing you will get , yet how much will you wait ......780 ti is around for a while now .... those who want to upgrade now better wait for the new gen . But some will get a good deal from old GPUs.
    My advice for the gpu , get the best when it comes and don't bother with the new ones untill you start lowering graphic options to get playable FPS

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well why would anyone with last-gen high-end buy mainstream performance gpu, jsut because it now has higher name marked as last-gen high-end, doesnt make much sense, plus with lower vram bandwidth?

In your case with 3 gens behind sure, you will see 100% faster minimum :)

7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    doesnt automatically mean is a bottle neck.
    thats like saying i "need" 500hp to be fast.
    for a 10000lbs truck? sure, for a 2200lbs lotus elise, no...

unless i see from more than one or two benchmarks/test that its really a problem, i will assume gpu chip performance will be the bigger bottleneck..

my 770 @1137 was good for about 80-90% of the performance i wanted, but i only got it because it was cheap. and i didnt wanna run into props with the next few FPS games coming out, so i swapped for a 780.
    its what i would like to have, when it comes to price and output, but NOT when it comes to the heat emitted under load/when OCed (v2 windforce).

im wont be getting a 4K tv yet, so im not willing to shell out money for a ti
    that makes the 970/980 with its higher efficiency a perfect gpu for me to get...

8. EKRboi

EKRboi Guest

GPU:
    3x GTX970 / 3x AOC i2757
    Oh yea, I know it's a no brainer for myself (with 580's) and looking to upgrade. It hardly ever makes sense to upgrade generation after generation. If you keep waiting for the next best thing you'll never upgrade haha.

My statement was not really talking crap I was more talking about how everyone keeps throwing around semi imaginary speculative numbers about a product so far we only really know its cuda core count and amount of vram. We only have the 750ti to try and speculate from and I can only assume they have made improvements since then. Would be fantastic to see a 20% increase in performance over a 780ti, is that going to happen? I HIGHLY doubt it. I suspect it will fall right in line. With more VRAM and it more than likely being cheaper it's an obvious buy for anyone looking to upgrade from fermi or first gen keplar.

If you have a 780(ti) right now and need more power, get another one in a couple of months, the price will probably drop a bit! Or buy a used one from one of the crazies (read: people with more $$ than I) who updates every time a new card comes out. That's what I did with my 580 when the 680's came around. I bought my second 580 for $250 used.

For myself, If the 780ti were to remain "king" and still hold a decent advantage over the 980 I would wait for the 780ti price to fall a bit and buy those, but being a multi monitor gamer it's VRAM I am REALLY looking at right now and it seems we will see 8gb 980 in the not too distant future. That's what I am waiting for.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The 8Gb will probably be a dual card, i just dont see the point in releasing a single gpu that has 8Gb. Even if there is expect to go tri or quad sli to get the most out of it.

As for that 980 pic, maybe HDMI 2.0?

10. pistol44

pistol44 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti (FE)
    May consider upgrading my 690 to an 980 or 990 (if there is such a card). While I realise the 690 is still a decent card overall it's just that I'm tired of waiting for SLI profiles all the time. Would love to have similar single gpu performance over dual gpu.

If I had a 780 or 780ti I don't think I would bother yet.

11. EKRboi

EKRboi Guest

GPU:
    3x GTX970 / 3x AOC i2757
    I hope not, I want an 8gb card, and it does make a lot of sense to want it. It is about multi monitors and future proofing for me. As you can see I am still on 580s so I am one who will run the same cards for years. An 8gb dual card would still be 4gb per gpu. We are already seeing games use 3-4gb of VRAM. I blame this mostly on console ports, after all the consoles have 8gb(6ish after OS + overhead?) of unified ram available, so I honestly see this becoming semi normal. I am playing @ 5760x1080 so I want every advantage to allow me to keep my cards and play the games I want @5760x1080 for the next 4ish years, just as I have done with my 580's @ 1080p. Honestly if I had not decided to go with a surround setup 6 months ago I probably would just hold out for pascal and deal with less AA and turn off/down a couple other things when needed. Other than Watch Dogs (have not played DR3) I have been able to play everything to date @ mostly max settings @ 1080p. I have even been really surprised at what my old 580's can handle @ 5760x1080.. had I went for 3gb 580's instead of 1.5gb cards I would undoubtedly be in better standing right now. Remember, when the 580's came around even I thought 3gb of VRAM was insane, as did many others. Now look at things. 8gb might seem insane right now... but I've made that mistake once already.

12. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    This card can do the trick with my crt monitors. Both capable to do 2560x1600@79hz. I can imagine when i do 200% scaling in the game while both of them in surround.

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I'm sick of hearing about the 980 already. Give me some juicy bit on that GM 200

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    3 display ports? Hmm maybe Nividia is preparing even more so for 4k displays.

15. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    they're more likely preparing for triple G-Sync monitors.

the adventurous gamer with triple displays single card setup better have it g-sync enabled.
    also, nvidia would very much like to sell you some g-sync modules.

I'm not even trying to think how the poor card is gonna drive triple 4k displays :3eyes:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very true I forgot about them Gsync monitors. I was just think more along the lines of maybe 2 4k monitors but that might be pushing it too.

17. Braadkip

Braadkip Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Picture looks fake.

18. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Really? I think it looks rather convincing. Times are changing is the reason for all the Display Port connections.

DP is proving to be superior to even DVI-D anymore.

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    This, a 50% increase over my titan would be nice.

20. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    Well unless G sync V2.0 is coming soon it won't help that much. At the moment even with triple monitor setup (using DP 1.2 connection on each card in tri-sli), you can only get G sync on your main monitor. Triple setup with G sync across all three won't work because of sync issues.