1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New GTX 580 issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by powerspec, Aug 2, 2011.

1. powerspec

powerspec Active Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 580 OC and GT 430
    Just bought this GPU over the weekend (PNY GTX 580 OC) and I am having issues with it locking up while gaming. Getting this green checkered board look all over the screen and I have to hard reboot to get back into windows. So far only having this issue with Crysis 2 with DX 11 patch and Just Cause 2.

I once had this issue with a 6800gt and I had to replace it as it died a few days later after this came up. Hoping its not the same issue.

Should I just take it back and get it replaced? Temps are fine, 40C idle and ~73C while playing Crysis 2 before lockup. Upgraded from a GTX 295, did uninstall drivers before installing the 580.

2. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra
    Your load temp seems fine, try it with a stress test.
    I'd RMA personally if it keeps happening

3. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    yes but you may have deleted al nvidia drivers but always same stuf if left in your sistem i wold recomend a complete reinstal of windows and then report back and say if the problem persist also what drivers are you using becouse the las ones give to the gpu more power to the vcore

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Reinstall drivers, if not download afterburner and raise the voltage a tad. Might have too low of voltage to keep stable

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Turn the fan up while gaming.
    I use MSI Afterburner to provide the fan profile.

Theres more that needs cooling than just the GPU!

6. powerspec

powerspec Active Member

GPU:
    With your guy's suggestions, I went ahead and tried the GPU in my old PC, same issue. This was with a clean install on Windows also.

Should I risk it and just replace it with the same GPU? Or go with someone else like EVGA?

7. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    Its sounding like you bought it retail. Just take it back and exchange it. If they have EVGA cards in the store, get one of those instead.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Turn the fan up !

9. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Return the card and get a new one. Obviously, if you tried it in two different PC with the same result...then the card is at fault. Why even give it a second thought. It happens rarely, but it DOES happen. Every now and again, a faulty unit slips past QC.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  10. powerspec

powerspec Active Member

GPU:
    It is, set it to max (85%), thats why my temps are ~73C under load. Was ~88C before. I will take it back today or tomorrow then. And yes I bought it retail, got it at Microcenter.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Thats fair enough.
    Yeah, I'd return it.

12. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Yeah, same here. EVGA are good, but even they let some slip through QC, so does ASUS, Gigabyte, etc... it happens.