New Graphics Card Issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by rsz, Aug 18, 2013.

1. rsz

rsz New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 760 2GB
    Hey there, I recently upgraded from my nvidia gtx 560 to a 760, and been having screen freezes ingame up to 60 seconds long. This does not happen on my desktop nor while watching a movie or anything like that, only in a game, I usually make it maybe 10-15 minutes in and then my screen freezes, massive sound loop in the background, ctrl-alt-delete won't do anything yet curiously I can still communicate with people while in mumble when this happens. After the freeze ends the game resumes normally, allthough after this point they tend to happen more rapidly.

So far it doesn't really seem to matter which game as long as it puts enough stress on my system, that includes Dota 2, Alan Wake, L4D2, BF3 etc.

It's reaaaaally "messing with my chi" if you get my point, you think you're having a nice game going and bada bing bada boom, there it is. Could this be an issue with the current Nvidia drivers (320.49 WHQL)? Or is it simply an issue of say my PSU not being large enough to handle it? If there's any way to find out the problem without starting to buy new hardware until the problem disappears, you have no idea how much I would love you for helping me out with this one.

Specs:
    Asus M5A78L
    AMD FX-6100 6 Core 4.0GHz OC
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 760 2GB GDDR5
    4GB Kingston 1333MHz
    Silverstone 500W
    Western Digital 1TB
    Zalman z11+ Case

-rsz

2. russ1

russ1 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    I would say your power supply is to blame. They recommend at least a 550w power supply on a gtx 760. That's why you are getting freezes when you are stressing your system.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Sounds more like constant display driver crashes/recoveries to me. Check your event log (the administrative events sublog under custom views). Look for repeated nvdklmm has stopped responding errors, or other nvidia related services.

4. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Your definitely a bit borderline on power with that 500 watt power supply.
    Power supplies degrade over time also so if you've had it for a few years it won't even be pushing out 500 watts.

5. joshk

joshk Member

GPU:
    Strix 1080TI SLI
    For me it is a classic driver issue.320 series are pure crap.Go to modded 314.22 .500W should be fine for your hardware.