New GPU Faulty or Something Else? - Multiple Issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by 60Hz, Jan 13, 2022.

1. 60Hz

60Hz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070 TI
    Specs (all stock settings):
    - Asus Rog Strix Z690-F (0403)
    - Asus ROG Strix Gaming O.C RTX 3070 ti
    - DDR5 (2X16GB) @ 4800mhz (CL40)
    - Samsung 980 Pro
    - Corsair HX1000 (multi rail)
    - 144hz monitor (1080p)

1) I have noticed when playing COD Warzone or doing 3DMark Firestrike benchmarks it will trigger the GPU thermal throttle limits on programs like HWInfo/GPU-Z/Afterburner while the gpu temperatures are only reaching 60C-68C which is way under the normal throttle limit. I think it happens when the usage or load drops or usually when a scene changes. It also will drop my core speed from 1950mhz to 1935mhz. Does anyone know why this is happening? How to fix this thermal throttling issue? Trying to figure out if my new gpu is faulty or not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2) Another issue not sure if related or not but when playing COD Warzone I’ve been noticing while in the plane and while on foot, the tree, grass and ground textures will not render all at once or it renders slowly until you get closer. When running on foot from a far it looks like the foliage will flicker abit and then render once you get closer to it. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my new gpu?

Also in CSGO I can’t confirm yet as more testing is needed but when some enemy is peeking or jumping around it looks very jittery and some minor textures like walls or boxes will look like it’s moving when I am running towards them.

I have updated the latest NVIDIA drivers but it did nothing.

This has been stressing me out trying to confirm if my new gpu is faulty or something else is causing these issues. Any help or suggestions on what more tests to do would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Never owned any of the RTX cards in general but for # (1), have you tried to go within MSI Afterburner and increase the PL%(Power Limit %) to see if that will help sustain your speeds a bit, should help, just be careful though, raising this = more power/heat, so just heads up on it.

Yes, some benchmark, in-between scenes, gpu speeds could go down a bit, some will keep sustain speeds, some will even stutter during a particular benchmark sequence, thus dropping your frame rate down a bit, so yes, different benchmark programs will differ from one another.

Far as (2) goes, I don't go on those games so can not comment on it, that being said, in regards about while on the plane and not rendering all at once, is there a setting that has anything to do with draw distance, if so, try increasing that to see if that will change.

Far as fooliage flickering/shimmering from a distance, this is very common on lower resolution screen, every game will looking different while moving though, do you have by chance, in the game, anything to do with anti-aliasing? CSGO, seems its running on DX9.0c, you can try to do some hybrid AA methods within nvidia inspector and see if that works, SGSSAA makes a world of difference but at an expense of huge performance hit, but its an old game, judging on your gpu, should have 0 problems. I looked up the AA Flags for this game, its: 0x000000C1 (SGSSAA, OGSSAA), But, try running the AA within the game first, that's if it has one, not to sure as I never even played the game, but depending on the level of AA, quality will differ from one another, if it has an AA option, and you still want higher quality, within nvidia inspector: Enhance the application settings, it should work, but again, never owned or played the game, another way is to use DSR or DLSS(If the game is supported, if it is, then better off taking that route).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  3. 60Hz

60Hz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070 TI
    @AMD Bug Bear

It seems that the gpu thermal throttling is being triggered by when load or usage changes or drops from what I see in the Afterburner graphs.

Here are some other issues that I noticed while testing aswell:

COD Warzone - I notice when I'm in the plane the textures (grass, trees, foilage, ground) will not render unless I get close. Usually the trees and grass are the most noticeable. If I am walking on foot I can see the grass and ground textures rendering when getting close. It I move back and forth I can make the grass textures pop in and out. Also when I use a sniper rifle zoom far away tree shadows will look like noise fuzzing/flicker.

Also when I run some benchmarks I am getting very low 0.1% and 1% frames:

Average FPS = 160 fps
    1% Low = 69 fps
    0.1 Low = 7 fps

Heaven Benchmark - When running the benchmark test I can see certain lighting around the map flicker. Also when I walk in free mode and look at the grass textures and move the distance of the camera back and forth the grass texture will pop in and pop out. Also will get very low 1% and 0.1% frames compared to the average fps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to verify what the issue is caused by soon as I will need to know if its a faulty gpu or not so I can start returning it.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    normal behavior.

5. 60Hz

60Hz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070 TI
    Unfortunately it’s not normal. These issues should not be happening in an old DX9 game like CSGO. I have worked with computers my whole life. I also have another build with an RTX card and it does not do what this card is doing.

I need help in figuring what the actual cause is. If it’s the gpu being faulty then I will have to return it. But I need to confirm if it’s a faulty gpu first or if it’s something else.

If anyone know what the cause of the issue is or know what I can do to verify the fault please let me know.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Throttle behaviors are working as intended.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    try setting max performance in global for nvcp? if happen this card but not another card of the same model, rma if it still under warranty

but Last i check dyanmic clock are used on gpu now special boost clocks, I dont think your thermal throttling, that just normal Boost behavior.

My boost clocks that are use any time the gpu is in a game( and i use max peformance in nvcp) have always fluctuated my boost is1683 according to inspector, and during use that 1683 could be anywhere between 1620~1683mhz from what i seen on my 1070ti.

but like said if you have another RTX of similar model and dont do this, rma it if able