New Generation of Games, Now which is the best looking in your opinion?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by compgeek89, Oct 22, 2005.

1. meatfestival92

meatfestival92 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 9800 GTX @ 815/2078/1180
    This isn't just about engines, it's the artwork created for them too. But since you mentioned it - how many games released in the last year have incorporated HDR lighting as fully and succesfully as Lost Coast and Day of Defeat Source? I can think of one - Splinter Cell 3 - and that was nowhere near the level of quality that the source engine can do. If anyone's thinking Far Cry, don't make me laugh, it's not in the game options and looks like ****. HDR has been around since 1997, and as yet there still isn't an ideal implementation of it in games. Source comes the closest so far, and is continually improving.

To get back on point, I haven't seen any games that come even close to the quality and detail of artwork in Half Life 2, let alone Lost Coast. FEAR is impressive, but let down slightly by unimaginative and samey evironments.

Doom 3 and Quake 4 are good examples of a powerful engine wasted on crappy low res artwork and models. I'll take "flat" textures and high poly models over shiny plasticky bump mapped ones any day. Prey and ET: Quake Wars look a little better though.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  2. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    yea come to think of it they were stunning...

edit: and hdr in scct looked awesome!! what are you on?

3. adam watts

adam watts Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
    my vote is FEAR. But coming next year its all about unreal 2007! Those graphics are outstanding.

4. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Quake4, DooM3, F.E.A.R., HL2. In that order. :)

5. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640MB @580Mhz
    For me it would be Far Cry, Source Engine, the FEAR engine, and BF2. How does the Crytek engine look like sh*t? Wake up.
    You telling me this looks like sh*t?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Far Cry was the first game to impliment actually impliment HDR well. So what if it doesn't have it in the menu. They added it and it is there.

Back to FEAR and Source engines. I think Source made the best player models of any game so far and we will see how really good they are in Lost Coast. FEAR gave us particle effects, nice lighting, and shading. IMO, all games do something different like I said above. The Doom 3 engine didn't really WOW me that much because the textures are pretty bland from looking at the new Q4. It did have good lighting and shadowing, but it doesn't seem like it is any better than FEAR or Far Cry and instead just dark. The models look alittle plastic like as they do in FEAR, but they still look good in both. I think the D3 engine will look its best when Prey comes out, but it will still be limited to those indoor, gloomy looking designs which is what the engine is best for, though.

All game engines are made for a certain purpose.
    But IMO, Far Cry is the first game I have seen that impliments elements of all those features and more into a very well done game. I also think BF2 impliments all these features like Far Cry. Tell me this. How do you think D3 would look if they tried making it in an outdoor setting with full foliage and trees? Same goes with the Source Engine.

So if I had to pick, I would say Far Cry and the BF2 engines as the best around right now, but that is just my opinion.

P.S. Gears of War is coming onto pc too. I don't know if the gameplay is going to be that great, but the graphics are sure as hell going to be.

6. meatfestival92

GPU:
    No, but the HDR effects do. Bloom/flare overload. Not good.

Like this :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is in a different league to D3 or Q4 IMO. Like I say, the actual artwork is what matters, not the engine. The original poster didn't ask which engine was the best.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  7. thewiseyoda

thewiseyoda Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT PCI-e
    Quake 4 , F.E.A.R , Age of Empires 3 and my personal best

CALL OF DUTY 2

future games that look visually stunning

Qauke Wars
    RTCW 2

all using doom 3 engine :)

8. meatfestival92

GPU:
    Any screens of this going about?

9. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    sex.

[​IMG]

not even at max quality on this crap onboard.

10. moshpit

moshpit Guest

Right now FEAR has taken top spot for me with Half Life 2 and Farcry sharing second place, and Quake 4 holding third place. I'm totally in love with FEAR. It's atmosphere and weaponry and story just float my boat perfectly. Quake 4 is absolutely stunning and is truley the best of the D3 engine that I've seen yet. But Farcry with HDR and x64 additions absolutely rocked my world and was a GREAT story. Half Life 2 was also perfectly what I hoped/wanted from it. Farcry and Half Life 2 are the games I feel first REALLY made the need for a shader capable card a must have for gamers since EVERY gamer was waiting for that or Doom 3.

11. Drunken Shooter

Drunken Shooter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 super FTW
    My vote goes to Quake 4 and the doom engine, such nice graphics and detailed rooms.
    Beside for you condeming the doom engine its still evolving, and enemy territory: quake wars will show its next evolution, that game is going to make BF 2 a run for its money.

12. krisha

krisha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTS250 512 mb
    FEAR looks smother and i like the outdoors better than i doom3/quake4 - but the last two gets my vote - that doom engine rocks and is very tweakable.

But look at this - that is a nice shoot

[​IMG]

13. No1Muppet

No1Muppet Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX SLI
    For me F.E.A.R, then Farcry, then Quake 4,then Doom 3,HL2

14. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    The character models in Guild Wars don't really do much for me but the environments and scenery are spectacular. Go into 1st person mode and just look around at some of the great artwork.

15. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Hands down the Source engine gets my vote for best physics.

The Doom3 engine gets my vote for amazing graphics, just look at Quake 4 and Quake Wars, unbelievable even though its the same generation and age as the Source engine.

16. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    TBH, I think Elderscrolls oblivion is gonna blow anything else we have seen out of the water! And the good news is its out at the end of next month :D

Anyone who has seen the demonstration video will testify how good it looks, and for me, I think its only beaten by the UE2 engine, and may even equal it in someways.

Here is the demonstration 1 video:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=7907&type=wmv

there are 4 or 5 others too. The one in the forest is simply amazing.

EDIT: oh, and here are the rest of them:

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1688

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  17. I didn't want to bring this up, but does anybody notice that FEAR engine is soooo HALF-LIFE 2 ? :D

at times i thought it was using the SOURCE engine.

Best looking games in this order for me:

1 - F.E.A.R (not because its new, but because i love the engine)
    2 - FAR-CRY (2nd place, no disgrace)
    3 - Half-Life II
    4 - Quake IV
    5 - Doom III
    --------------

18. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640MB @580Mhz
    The Doom Engine has the dreary kinda design which doesn't appeal that much to me. Far Cry didn't have bloom. Bloom doesn't effect everything in the same way that HDR did for Far Cry.If you went out to the bahamas, it would look just like that. The sun shines as it is suppose to, and the shadows are well done and not overally dark. Sure, I said that the Far Cry engine is the most verstile when it came to things, but that would also mean it would look better in a variety of things. With the Crytek engine, they could make indoor levels with nice level design and all kinds of posibilites. IMO, the Doom engine is nothing more than decent player models which are kinda plastic and sh*t textures, like the ones from the Quake Wars screen.

19. Smokey21

Smokey21 Guest

My favourite graphics:

RTS- Warhammer 40k: DOW. Also love Homeworld 2

Best all round engine- HL2

Doom 3/Quake 4 engine is very nice, but a bit bland in places, and textures are aweful in places.

FEAR engine is alright, but for the performance it looses major points.

Far Cry engine is probably my 2nd fav engine after Source engine. if the character models were more realistic it would be my fav probly.

20. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    if we are also talking about games that havent been released yet, its a tie between the elder scrolls: oblivion and stalker for me.

right now, i think quake4 looks best. fear comes really close, but i dont like the decalls bullets leave behind, especially when you look at them from besides, they look like someone pasted a painting on the wall.