New Gaming Rig

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ampmoth, Jan 24, 2011.

1. ampmoth

ampmoth Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    Alright, I'm probably over analyzing it. Thanks.

2. ampmoth

ampmoth Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    Is it better to have six 120 fans on the side panel or one 220? I'm not overly worried about noise. I understand that cooling is going to come with side effects like noise.

3. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Looks good, that is one expensive video card tho.
    good luck with all of that

4. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Well, often having more fans can reduce noise. A larger fan can produce a particular CFM at a slower RPM than a smaller fan, hence the larger fan is less noisy. Similarly, more fans can produce a particular CFM at a slower RPM than fewer fans, hence more fans are less noisy at that total CFM.

So the point is, get as many fans as you can sensibly fit in your case and pay for. Try to equalise intake CFM with exhaust CFM. This way you can set fans to low RPM for low noise but get great cooling because there are so many fans. I'd say the dragon rider already has all the fans you need, just make sure you can control their speed. If you just plug a fan into a molex, it'll run at full speed, but the gain in noise when approaching full speed is much bigger than the gain in cooling performance. It's better to leave the fans at 80% max, I prefer close to 50% myself (somewhere around 600-800 RPM for me).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

5. ampmoth

ampmoth Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    Thanks lehtv for the overview. Very helpful.

6. ampmoth

ampmoth Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    I've set it up and powered it on. Just a few things I could use some insight on.

I had VGA error beeps upon turning it on and it doesn't seem to recognize my 560 Ti (I decided to get it over the 570). What should I do about this? Reset it in the slot to see if it recognizes it after?

My CPU cooler will not seem to work when plugged into the motherboard so I've opted to plug it in directly to the PSU. Is this bad? Also since it is not plugged into the motherboard, it keeps giving me an error on that as well. Can I ignore that?

In my computer view, it shows my SSD but not my HDD beside it. It should be showing, correct? How do I go about fixing this?

Has anyone else had issues with the drivers for this motherboard's USB drives? It seems to be having issues with the drivers from the CD, but I'm going to look them up online later today to see if there are any updated versions.

I believe those are the only issues I've encountered so far. Otherwise, everything else seems to have booted up and was read correctly. I had to manually fix the memory from 1300 to 1600 in the BIOS because it was reading incorrectly.

Any information, help or pointers would be highly appreciated. First time doing all of this so I certainly need it.

Thanks again guys.