New drivers: Forceware 165.01 Recived from directly Nvidia Tech apartment

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by cmd, Apr 17, 2007.

1. UncleBulgaria

UncleBulgaria Member

GPU:
    4870X2
    With these drivers Rivatuner doesn't need forcing. It shows up as Forceware detected.

What I do when installing new drivers.

1. Set Rivatuner to defaults and then uninstall it.
    2. Uninstall Nvidia driver from properties/advanced/adapter
    3. Restart system into safe mode, then run Driver Cleaner Pro.
    4. Reboot. Then just as an addition I now run CCleaner, Registry clean. Comes up with a load of Nvidia stuff.
    5. Install New drivers. Reboot.
    6. Install Rivatuner and run rivatuner.

UncleB

2. musa

musa Member

GPU:
    Palit Geforce GTX275
    UncleB is right. Riva detects on my comp as Forceware too. Fan works without problems.

Overclocking works in Riva too. Settings will kick in when 3d apps start.

Although I believe that using all that precaution to uninstall the drivers is rather redundant. I just uninstall old driver, reboot, install new driver and reboot. This works for me in XP. But if you're uncertain, just do all the driver cleaner pro thing.

3. uncajesse

uncajesse Member

musa, be sure it's ffdshow that directshow is using for h26x decoding. WindowsXP/Vista come with 261/263/264/VC1 decoding built-in, so make sure you set the video codec priority in the sound & video control panel, or whatever directshow tweak tool you may have.

Also, if you're going to use v97.92, try out the NGO customized version. I really liked that driver a lot, my personal fav from the 95+ Forcewares, including the 9x.xx ones newer than 97.92.
    http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=nvidia
    Hopefully we'll see one from them for v158.19 XP 32bit, hopefully not too long from now. :)

Paulo Narciso (or anyone else who this may apply to), if you have a RealTek HD audio chipset, make sure you upgrade to the latest version, especially if you installed the XP/Vista hotpatch for fixing the Animated Cursor buffer-overflow (it's a GDI+ patch that fixes 7 other overflows too). It changes the way that a few things are accessed in user32.dll and it totaly screws up the older RealTek drivers. New RealTek HD drivers can be found here:
    http://tinyurl.com/u5paq
    This conflict could be happening with other device drivers too, so good luck. It was causing a BSOD for a few games on this laptop, and when I ran WinDbg on the kernal dump, it reported that the problem was with nv4_disp.dll even though upgrading the RealTek drivers is what fixed it. Go figure. But it's worth a shot for you to do a kernal dump if you can't figure out the BSOD. It might help.

It could also just be a crash with the venerable 7950GX2. It's an awesome card that I wish got more attention from nVidia, in fact I probably would have bought one if it wasn't for them putting it's support on the backburner at times (at least seemingly, to us outsiders). I spose you've already tried setting up a custom profile for those games, and tried messing around with various SLi modes.

Burnt_Ram/Gungrave (others), also note that you have to either have not properly uninstalled a previous version of the drivers that had the old control panel included in the build. If you're uninstalling in safe-mode and using DetonatorRIP and Nasty File Remover... like a good lil boy :p then you'll need to find out what all of these files are and create an archive (rar/zip/etc) to be able to quickly enable the support of the registry settings that will make the driver use the old Forceware control panel. In fact this may have already been done as a project, and if not it's not a bad idea for someone to tackle (and newby-ize) as a project. :smoke:

UncleBulgaria, it's worth adding that you need to force the driver version in RivaTuner or it could detect it wrong, such as v158.16 being detected as v58.16 - which will totally screw up your driver settings. Otherwise that's a very nice guide to using RivaTuner with the latest drivers. One can never be too safe.

4. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Thanx for the help but I use x-fi, so your fix don't apply. I don't have conflicts. All previous driver versions works good without reboots (158.19 included). So it is 165.01 problem, and other people are reporting the same problems with FEAR.
    NVIDIA should analize this. It's nice to have driver updates but the bugs are very annoying. But this is beta driver and I have hope that this bug are corrected.

5. uncajesse

uncajesse Member

There is an update for Windows that will fix the RealTek problem
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...88-3131-429c-8fcb-f7b3b0fd3d86&DisplayLang=en
    but might as well just update the RealTek driver, latest one was released less than a week ago and fixes it. But I thought, it may fix some issues with other programs as well, so it's worth checking out anyways I guess.

Yes I did read some other reports FEAR of BSODing. But nobody has bothered to debug a kernal dump yet (and post the information), and I don't have FEAR. (please excuse the unintentional puns)

I did however have crashing of Splinter Cell Double Agent with v165.01 XP 32bit, but i didn't mind rolling back because v158.19 works great and it doesn't have the ever-so-slight lags of v165.01 - only while dynamically loading in-game resources. Actually though, both 158 & 165 are smoother fps than any other driver I've used so far.

The few BSODing reports of 165 are enough for me to stay at 158 for now - especially the WMV BSOD reports. I've also read a few reports of h264 video causing graphical glitches even outside of the overlay/vmr with v165.01. scary.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  6. cool1

cool1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 260 216CORE OC ED
    165.01 XP 32bit increased performance of
    NFS MW,
    STALKER
    GRAW

but NFS carbon restarts my computer

7. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    At last, one person with the same problem as me :)
    NFS Carbon also restarts on my 7950 gx2. If you have FEAR test it please.

8. zonnebloem

zonnebloem Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 8600 GTS 256MB
    Here CNC3 do not start at all on vista 32bit with these drivers 165.01 back to 158.18

9. blurp33

blurp33 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That makes 3 of us with NFS Carbon.

10. Shadow=ASP=

Shadow=ASP= New Member

GPU:
    GF8800 GTX 768MB
    Hi.
    Long-time lurker here. I dont post much but I do read alot.
    Just wanted to say that finally Far Cry runs stable for me with SLI and HDR with these drivers in WinXP 32 SP2.
    I'm using a 7950GX2. Performance is top notch. Never thought FC could actually run constantly at 200+ fps @ 1280x1024 :D
    Stalker is also running fine (it did that with 93.71 which were the drivers I just upgraded from).
    Arma is running slightly slower than with 93.71+ my homemade SLI-profile (copy of FEAR's) but its more stable in fps and the pauses are shorter and rarer when loading of recources so its all good.

11. midweskid

midweskid Guest

image quality and performance went up in most games for me but fear combat seems to be restarting my comp every time i play anyone else getting this problem?

12. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    just see the posts above

13. warhascome

warhascome New Member

These drivers seem to be all well and good for all of you. I am running xp64 and don't see them. Hope it just comes out next week or this weekend and it is having XP64 listed also. Considering a lot of us use XP64 and it's more stable then vista ATM. If you do have the XP64 version, would be nice to post it or something.

Laters.

14. Snappy

Snappy Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    Are these driver legit?Read on the nvidia forums there fakes.

15. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    They seem legit. I had them installed, but there's a phew bug in it, and I'm now using 158.19 with a modded inf and so far so good, but it hasn't improved a thing over 93.81, but at least they have more sli profiles for the latest games. I tried them on XP.

16. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070

Well thier pretty good fakes.:approval:

17. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    I've found another game that don't work with these. Quake 4 give me a nv4_disp blue screen error on XP.

18. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    the 165.01 are complete garbage and are missing some .dll's (partial driver)... after installation Windows Vista slowed down considerably and BF2142 refused to start giving an error.

2 minutes l8r i was back to the 158.18 the best till now

19. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    On xp 165.01 gave me a boost in performance. If they correct the bugs this set can be a very good one. Let's wait and see. I don't use Vista, there's no point if I don't have a dx10 card and there is no dx10 games.

20. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    you dont need DX10 games to take advantage of a DX10 card. i had 7800GT SLi, and my 8800 kills them performance wise, and the IQ is "alot" better aswell :)