New Driver and the effect on EVGA

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Law, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Law

Law Active Member

GPU:
    GTX560 Ti DirectCUII
    Hey Folks,

I just put in the 196.26 driver from the Nvidia home page. I have been having trouble updating drivers for some time, based on Nvidia control panel but somehow managed to get this driver to stick. However when I use EVGA to turn up my fan speed (something I have to do manually), the section for shader clock is totally greyed out and has no green numbers showing what it is set at.

What does this mean, did the drivers not instal correctly? Do I need to update EVGA because I am using the latest drivers? The only game I have played since is DAoC and it seems to run fine.

Cheers,

Law.

2. exaslave

exaslave Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 560ti
    known issue with the latest WHQL drivers, get the 196.34 beta or older drivers to get the shader clock working, an updated EVGA precision should work too

3. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    The 'New' 196.26 driver is infact Old.

The new one is the 196.34 beta and it was released specifically to fix issues with people not being able to overclock there cards - with tools like EVGA Precison.

Also if you've had toruble updating drivers I suggest you do the old tried and tested method of
    1) Uninstall driver from add/remove
    2) Reboot to safemode
    3) run driver sweeper http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/ to remove all traces of old drivers
    4) reboot install new 196.34 drivers

Viola, your prblem sorted

4. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    This problem is fixed with the new eVGA Precision tool.

5. Law

Law Active Member

GPU:
    GTX560 Ti DirectCUII
    Cool. I will prolly dl the new EVGA precision first, then I'll get round to sorting my drivers out. Thats a job I don't enjoy tbh - I will do the safe mode/Drivesweeper and Cc;eaner thang also :)

What affect will having the Shader Clock greyed out have? Does it actually still work as per normal? If so is it just that I cannot OC it? Typically I don't OC, I just use EVGA because my fan speed seems stuck at 40%, so I boost it to between 55% - 70% depending on what game I am playing. With DAoC I wouldn't actually need to OC at all.

A 2nd qustions, how do I enter Nvidia Control Panel? Its all different with Vista!

Cheers,

Law.

6. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA
    Q. What affect will having the Shader Clock greyed out have? If so is it just that I cannot OC it?
    A. If you don't overclock, nothing to worry about.

Q. how do I enter Nvidia Control Panel?
    A. Right-click on the desktop and select "NVIDIA control Panel" from the speed-menu.

7. Law

Law Active Member

GPU:
    GTX560 Ti DirectCUII
    Yeah, it aint there. Guess even though I got the new drivers in, still no control panel. Fairly annoying, I found (or was pointed to) another thread that suggested modified infs to solve this problem ... will have to look into it as I wouldn't mind forcing higher settings on some of my games.

Cheers,

Law.

8. eagled1

eagled1 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI 4GB
    make sure you uninstall the old drivers in safe mode with driver sweeper. uninstall precision BEFORE uninstalling the drivers.