New digital camera..

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by Anubis, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    I rarely ever bother with totally manual setting on my D300. I set the meter to spot/center/matrix, adjust aperture or shutter to achieve the image I want, and let the meter set up "the rest" to give me a decent exposure. To be quite honest, it's a lot _SIMPLER_ than most P&S cameras. ;)

//Svein

2. stealthmaker

stealthmaker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor ATI 5770 1GB

PCthug, how do you set up an image so that the background is so dark and the item is very lit? do you use a back drop and external flashes?

3. Thug

Thug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Sorry, just noticed this question...

The shot was set up in my garden in good natural light.
    I placed the camera on a tripod, and put the glass on a wooden garden table (the red/brown colour you can see in the water is the reflected table).
    I placed a piece of black card to the rear. I think it was actually an old A4 folder i used.
    I then dropped ice cubes into the glass and pressed the button at the same time, and also letting the flash trigger too.
    It took a little trial and error, but got a few decent ones.
    I then darkened the black in Photoshop, and cleaned up a few stray splashes of water.

4. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 OC
    qft....................................................

well... get the canon one you said it had everything... but for 500euros and the price of the 550D... you'd be missing out... and you're gonna hate it later...

like buying a dual core instead of a tricore or quad

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010

5. Anshul89

Anshul89 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 + 7850
    Actually it's like buying a non-gaming video card. It will run CS well but fail in Crysis.

6. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Ok, let's pretend I'd listen to you instead of myself and I'd get an DSLR..
    The "cheapest" kit I can get here is 699€

That's a Canon EOS 500D + EF-S 18-55mm IS + SDHC 8GB + Bag
    It's way above my budget actually.. But ok, I basically still have time to save up some cash..

But what can I do with it?
    As said.. I'm a total slr noob, and have no idea how to handle those stuff and what to do with it..

I've mostly just took the camera out, turn it on, take the pics I wanted on AUTO mode, and that's it..
    From time to time I offcourse experimented with the macro mode, shutter speeds, etc..
    But nothing serious cause I don't really have much time to play with those stuff (that as said I don't understand yet).
    In future aswell, I'll mostly use it for family pics, vacations, etc..
    I won't have time to adjust the settings every time for 5 minutes to take a pic or two..

So still I don't know what to get that would suite me the best..
    I also got an deal to get a slightly used S5 IS with an additional lens (don't know exactly what it should be) for 150€. Might get this for now aswell..

7. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Dude. If you just want to get snaps of your friends and family or when you are at some place or even like a friend's birthday, get the canon (not the dslr).

If you actually like photography as a hobby/passtime then get a dslr. You'll learn how to use it, by actually using it.
    You'll get accustomed to it and use better as time goes.

A good photograph is about the light and composition anyway.
    The bridge won't take photos at the same image quality as the dslr. That's it. That doesn't mean that they won't look ok.

8. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    You'll have the exact same modes (in addition to the semi-manual and full manual ones) on your dSLR, so that part of it is "just as you're used to". You'll also have a LOT better ergonomics, and the option of later being able to get more "glass" (lenses). And the good thing is, those lenses will probably stay with you if you upgrade your camera body (you can buy camera bodies without the kit lens), giving you a cheaper "long term" than replacing the whole setup every time.

As a matter of fact, my first non-kit-lens is still with me today (it's a nice travel lens), and so are all the other non-kit-lenses I've had. ;)

//Svein

9. stealthmaker

stealthmaker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor ATI 5770 1GB
    Awesome! thanks for the explanation, i gotta try doing something like that!

10. Thug

Thug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Check out a few reviews.
    The Canon SX1 IS appears to be a fairly good camera http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsx1is/ but as already been said is not going to be as good as a DSLR, but then again its cheaper.
    I used DSLR may be another option.

11. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Ok, for now got myself an S5 IS a friend has been selling for 150€..
    More or less happy with it for now..

Also with it I got:
    2gb card
    Lens Adapter/Hood Set (LAH-DC20)
    Wide-converter 0.75x lens (WC-DC58A)
    4 rechargeable batteries
    Case

It's 2 years old, but it's been barely used (500pics).
    So for now it's ok..

For the money I've saved I'll go for a water-resistant camera..

So what do you think about:
    Casio Exilim EX-G1 270€
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Thug

Thug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Looks a great camera.
    This is waterproof and shock proof, so will be a great carry anywhere camera.
    Its Casio. I have had Casio point and shoots befoe, and found them to be good cameras.

13. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 OC
    indeed, looks like a decent camera that you can drop and even kick around.

now go outside and tease us with underwater pictures...
    *cough* of girls *coughs*

14. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    I've just jumped from a point and shoot Fuji Finepix s5600 I've had for 5 years now to a DSLR for the first time. Never handled one in a shop or anything. I had done a lot of research on them and after a days use there's no way I could ever go back. It's just too much fun now.

The next part on my list I want to get is, 100 mm - f/2.8 L Macro IS USM.