New Cpu for me Finally!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by nz3777, Jul 17, 2018.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Its time to give myself a little gift so yeah here is what I was thinking either the 8086k I want something Limited edition or (bad-ass factor) been stuck on this poor old Fx 8320e for like 4 years now.I am also considering Ryzen but....since I do have the cash in hand why not go for it huh?

1) 8086k-$399.99
    2)8700k-$319.99
    3) 2700x Ryzen-$299.99

Really hard choice I dont know?

blitz72 likes this.
  2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Bad ass aside not worth the extra money for the 8086 pretty much the same thing as the 8700k so it's a choice between that and the Ryzen ,personally I'd go Ryzen just for something different to play with.

3. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I would also recommend the Ryzen CPU. I'm running the 1st Gen 1800X and it is a beast of a cpu. Save some $$ and enjoy!!! :) Just my 2 cents.... :)

lucidus likes this.
  4. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I upgraded from that to an i7 6700k, overclocked to 4.5ghz - NEVER GOING BACK... EVER. Well I shouldn't be anyway because it would be a downgrade but you get the idea! :D

I'd go for the 8700k for the better single core performance. Having more cores is nice and all, but until gaming requires more cores than what the majority of gamers have - I'd stick with Intel.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If you plan to use new CPU for over 5 years, I'd say Ryzen with better overall performance is safer pick.

To game on high refresh rate monitor, without GPU bottleneck, Intel is better choice with OC.

6. Endymion

Endymion Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 TUF
    I'm using Ryzen 1700 at 4.1Ghz and I grow to hate it.
    Why? Because of a RAM support.

I have a 4 sticks of 8GB Samsung B-Die Corsair Vengeance 3446 - and it only works on 3066 with not so tight timings 16-18-18-18 and small errors from time to time. The number of hours I spent trying various memory settings, reading reddit, reviews, etc. is numerous. Motherboard is AsRock Taichi x370, latest bios.

I would recommend you to think twice and do you'r research about memory support before buying a Ryzen combo.

If I really would think twice before buying Ryzen - I would go for 8700k to be honest. Overclocked it for 5Ghz, memory to 3446+ without much hassle and be happy.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If you have cash then go for 8086K. I am not impressed by AMD USB controllers, memory controllers, SATA controllers.

8. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I use different computers each day (work) and own a Ryzen system from 1st gen. (Ryzen7-1700 on X370). Sadly, no chance for me (yet) to try a Threadripper system.

If you have a lot of addon cards like RAID controllers and stuff, stick to either Intel (they provide a lot of PCIe 3.0 lanes through the chipset on X or Z chipsets) or go for AMD Threadripper right away, because those offer a lot of lanes, which you will need to not be bottlenecked lane-wise.
    If you like to fiddle around a bit and experiment, I would recommend Ryzen, because you HAVE to do some trial&error with those until you get their individual sweetspot.
    If you like to build your system and run it like it is, go for Intel. XMP and everything ensures you don't have to stick to QVL lists for everything and stuff and have an easy experience.
    If you want to stick with Intel AND use some NVMe SSDs by M.2, use some decent chipset like X299 which is able to offer 4 lanes AND 16 for your GFX (and some more) through the CPU. Look at an Intel chipset diagram to see why. On Z and H or Q chipsets the CPU only has 16 lanes in total (which isn't an issue performance-wise, but I personally do not like my GFX getting "only" 8 lanes, but in theory it's still enough for your GFX).
    If you plan to only (or mostly) use onboard components (except GFX), go for AMD / Ryzen, if you would like a low TDP system without discrete GFX, go for those Ryzen with integrated Vega GFX.

So far it seems (from my point of view) AMD only increased frequencies a bit on 2nd gen Ryzen, together with one additional function (and yeah, smaller fab process), but in practice not much has changed. But 2nd gen cost about 20 - 50 Euros more (say 1700 compared to 2700) for only marginal differences. As user blitz72 said before, you can save this money for better use elsewhere if you go for Ryzen. ;)
    Btw.: Ryzen is able to drive 1x GFX AND 1x NVMe SSD through its CPU PCIe lanes. Just fyi.

I didn't find your RAM in their QVL at all.
    In theory, Ryzen is only capable to run 4 sticks at a lower freq than 2 sticks. So if (for example) your RAM barely manages to get on 3200MHz with 2 sticks, forget about 4 sticks at the same speed. The mem ctrl isn't capable of running it (or probably it may be, but then you have to fiddle around again to find the correct settings, raising voltage, etc.).
    One thing I would try if I were you: Download the "Ryzen RAM calculator" (I think from overclock.net). It gives you the correct timings in a very short time, I invested about 1 hour in total until I understood the tool, the way it had to be operated and set the timings (and all sub-timings!) "correct" for me. With "correct" I mean "stable operation without bluescreen under normal daily workloads and stuff", not "tweaking to the top edge of performance possible to get the last possible fps out of your game". It corrected a subtiming which was set "only" about 120 (!!!) too high (!!!). Before I had noticed my system didn't run so well, something seemed to block it every now and then. After setting the "SAFE" profile I thought my performance would have increased about 30%, the whole system felt "snappy" ... just like you would imagine a new system which is 7 years newer than what you had before.

I don't want to be part of the tools' marketing team, but it really helped me a lot. Could be worth a try, probably you get to 3466 again (I think you meant 3466 instead of 3446, right?).

9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    As some of the others stated, the 8086K is a vanity item, and not worth the money. I think you'll be happy with either a 8700K or a 2700X so just pick what you prefer. The 8700K would be better for absolute high FPS, but AM4 is better for future compatibility (easily upgrade to 7nm Zen 2/3).

Eh? My ASRock B350 board is running 2 x 8 GB TridentZ @ 3200 CL14. Before that, I was running my TR system using the same memory kit (except 4 x 8 GB) at the same settings. I would say that there's something wrong with your memory or board (my first X370 board couldn't go above 3000 and had serious stability issues. Turns out it was a faulty board).

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Thank you for all the replies you guys! I apologize for answering so late been working many many hours so.....I like the fact of having a limited-edition anything but at the same time I am far from rich so I have narrowed it down to 8700k vs 1800x lol. We will be gaming at 1440p and up anyway so Cpu not so much an issue there. This is more for my kid then it is for me anyway.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    You've been waiting zen+ and now you want older model?

Get 2700x and call it a day, 8 core will be more futureproof then that 6core..

nz3777 and blitz72 like this.
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My system has been completely stable for the last year, using an early DDR4 kit.... Really sounds like either you have something configured wrong or you have faulty hardware. This is actually the most stable system I've ever owned.

nz3777 and blitz72 like this.
  13. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I just bought the Msi A320M gaming pro Am4 matx. I stuffed it into an old E-machines case I had lying around it's like 10 years old minimum lol.

I will either put a 1800x in there or 1600 not sure yet. My next problem is finding a small enough power-supply that will fit in that small case lol. It looks like a sleeper nobody would ever expect there's a high-end system inside that thing!

Thank you to everyone for the great opinions in the end I decided Ryzen was just too good to pass-up.

14. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I upgraded from an i7980( I was rich back then lol) to a 1600X and have no regrets other than not being careful about memory choice. I have crummy C16 3200 Hynix and it will not run stable past 3066. Also I'm not fond of my MSI board and wish I had spent a bit more for a better one because it's not taking to OCs well so I have the 1600X at stock (3.7 with XFR). Can't say it wasn't a true upgrade all around though. Then again the X58 was the last of the FSB over clockers which I miss a lot more than I expected I would.

nz3777 likes this.
  15. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    8700K if it's for gaming.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    If you're on a tight budget, then why not 2600x?
    Imo old ryzen gen is a bit of a waste at this point unless you really can't afford newer.

nz3777 likes this.
  17. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I can 4 sure do that-Better clock-speed anyway right? I can get the top model thats not the problem its just I will never need that much power in this little machine.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well by amd it will matter a little, faster the better, I would rather chose 2600x over 1600x.

19. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Thanks TJ! :)