1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Cooler = Higher Temps O_o

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Nagasaki, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    I was using this cooler:

http://www.akasa.com.tw/akasa_english/spec_page/coolers/spec_ak_876.htm

Witch give me temps of about 40c on one core and 30c on the other at idle and 55c and 45c load temps.

I have now got this cooler:

http://www.akasa.com.tw/akasa_english/spec_page/coolers/spec_ak_925.htm

And my temps are slightly worse! :3eyes: I was under the impresion that this cooler would be better than my old one!

What are your thought on this? I'm thinking of lapping it but would it be safe to do so with this type of cooler? :infinity:

2. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    I take it that you did remove the old thermal paste and applied new yes?
    If so(which i certainly hope) what way did you go about applying it and how much?
    Because for whatever reason it sounds like its not doing its job, wether it be foreign particles or too much, too little paste.

3. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    How is it oriented in your case? A quote from DriverHeaven review states:
    "You should make sure however that the cooler will be facing upwards (fan at the bottom) when the motherboard is installed inside the case. The design of the cooler will NOT allow it to work flawlessly if it is not placed properly or if your motherboard is placed horizontally (HTPC cases)."

4. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    Yeah, I got it the right way. The thermal paste that came with it is VERY thick and goes hard when in contact with heat, but then strangely goes all wet and runny (still fairly thick) when it cools down.. But there was a fair bit on there, I have tried to spread it round evenly but the thinkness of the stuff makes it hard to do.

5. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    I had your current cooler, and although I was impressed with the ease of installation I was never convinced of its main purpose. After installing my Noctua u12P I appreciate the bubble hype.
    Decent cooler but over priced, and although I do not discount an install flaw, I would recommened a better cooler. My second pc has a zalman 9500, imo its top quality. I'd install it on my main pc, but due to space limitations I opted for the NU which i bought as part of a deal.

My temps dropped 4c idle and 10 under load with the NU btw.