New Computer (need your help please)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by olearych, Aug 18, 2005.

1. olearych

olearych New Member

Morning Ladies and gents,

I have browsed the forums for a while and thought I'd use your expert knowledge.

I am looking to build a new computer but have been out of touch with the latest info on Graphic cards and CPU's.

I have built my last 3 computers and have built several others for friends and family.

I use my computer mainly for games such as Battlefield 2 and Raven shield but would like to develop a system which will last me another couple of years. I can spend roughly £1000 but can go a little above if its justified.

My current specs are:

AMD Barton 3000
    Leadtek Winfast Deluxe limited nforce 2 ultra 400
    1.5gb Kingston PC2700 DDR Ram
    40gb Western Digital IDE
    160gb Western Digital IDE
    ATI Radeon 9800XT

A few basic questions I hope you can answer:

What are your views on the dual core CPU's for gaming?

Are there any technologies regards to CPU's I should wait for?

A not so easy question but what graphic card would you recommend buying, be it coming out in a couple of months or buying it now?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  2. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Basically just get yourself any NForce 4 Ultra or SLi mobo, and anything above a 3500+, and I guess with that much cash, you could get a 7800 GTX as well.

As for dual core for gaming, it's pointless for now, but there will be games coming out soon, (and I use that word loosely) that support it, and will see a nice increase, so if you can afford it, why not.

And not much will be happening in the CPU world till about H2 2006 when AMD releases socket M2 and Intel whatever they have planned.

3. chukb

chukb Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 Ultra 256 OC agp
    On the topic of dual core CPU's like the guy above me said they arent used in a whole lot of applications or gaming today.. or rather thier full functionality isnt.. i mean look at 64 bit processors they have been out for a couple years and 3/4s the world still dont use the full potential of them.. I would say save yourself some money and just buy a single core for now..

Also i would really go with an SLI setup if possible the performance increase is pretty amazing in some games.. not all games though.. its kind of odd a lot of the reviews i have seen show a single 7800 gtx getting the same if not better frame rates than the SLI setup.. so it seems that a lot of games are not ready or nvidia just hasnt gotten the drivers working correctly.. if you want a good review look at this one..

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/242/12/

it also seems like the higher resolution the better the SLI setup works so i guess its worth the money in the end.. maybe read up a little more on it..

on ram if your looking to upgrade i would stick with kingston, corsair or any higher name brand.. well if you want lower cas speeds and want to overclock.. value ram works fine.. but it doesnt overclock worth crap..

and if you have money left over i would also look into a SATA western digital 74 gig raptor for your games / windows installation drive.. or heck even go with the 15k scsi's they are getting pretty cheap these days.. and you can see a huge difference over the slow 7500rpm hard drives that your old computer is running.. i love my WD 10krpm 74 gig raptor.. i wouldnt trade it for the world..

4. eatmyshorts

eatmyshorts Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte ATI Radeon X1950Pro
    Don't buy dual core for gaming, not for now. Buy some 3500+ or 3700+ Venice cpu and u will be satisfied ;)
    Dual core cpus are too expencive for now, and there is no really need for double threads in games for now. When needed u can simply upgrade your machine with new X2 cpu without changing anything other.

No, just buy nForce 4 mobo, and that's it :rolleyes:

No one can really say, but why waiting. U can alwas wait, and wait, and wait... And there always will be another thing to wait. Buy some 7800GT or GTX graphic card, don't wait anything :cool:

5. olearych

olearych New Member

Thanks for all the advice!!

What would you say to waiting for the R520 "XL"?

6. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    If u want dual core.... 64bit and affordablity...
    go for the Intel Pentium D 820.....

Or just got the the 600 Series of Intel...
    The 500's will be phased out soon....

or if u want a stirctly gaming machine... go with AMD...