New Cat 5.3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kyteam, Mar 9, 2005.

1. nofool

nofool Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 Superclocked
    NJDeVsFaN2487 -- You should be able to overclock any relatively-recent ATI card by using a wonderful utility called "ATI Tool". Get it here: http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

It's got an OC stress-test and an interface for temp-sensing diodes in ATI cards that have them.

None of these functions would be linked to, or limited by any specific Catalyst driver to the best of my knowledge. Good luck!

2. FourFourTwo

FourFourTwo Active Member

GPU:
    2 x XFX 7800GT SLI
    No, no, no, no, NO!!! - These drivers suck the big one for me!
    In fact, every driver since the 4.12 Betas has given me inferior performance on my 9800 PRO.
    HL2DM runs totally pants with the 5.3s

I think I'll give up testing new drivers and stick with the 4.12Bs until I upgrade my card. The performance max for the 9800 PRO seems to have maxed out with the 4.12 Betas (for me anyway.)
    :(

3. X-Todd

X-Todd Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256 MB
    for me the peak seems to be the 5.1s.
    ive gotten the best with them on everything thus far.

i wonder how much hate mail ATI has gotten over the CCC.
    its complete crap. and IF and i do mean IF they ever do have digital vibrance, then you know you will have to have the CCC for it to work.

or of course a 3rd party app like ati tray tools or something, but still.

4. PinBot

PinBot Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870 1gb
    If that what X-Todd said becomes truth, than we are doomed, because CCC is bunch of crapp wraped in good looking paper!

5. Soren

Soren Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
    hi
    i think to take the advantage of new 5.3 drivers, you need powerfull card at least x700 and above.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  6. PinBot

PinBot Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870 1gb
    And what makes you think that?

7. truAp0stle

truAp0stle Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI X800XL 256 @ 430~1100 ~Samsung 930b 19" LCD
    Ummm I will take my 9800XT over any X700 anyday of the week.

8. Jraptor

Jraptor Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Nvidia 680 x2 SLI
    X800XT PE ... the 5.3 drivers are poor, and I noticed the high temp problem too. I think my card is high end enough to tell the difference. I'm using the 5.2's for now.

9. Nusumenai

Nusumenai Guest

These are keepers IMO.

Been using them for a few days on my x800xl and so far everything is running great. I haven't noticed much of the difference in FPS, but quality seems a bit better. Also Doom 3 seems to be running even better then before.

10. Donn_55

Donn_55 Member

GPU:
    Radeon 9600 series
    I've down loaded this driver, and it fixed the 'rain splitter' effect on underground 2.

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I have again went back to cat 4.12, as it seems every driver that has come out after the 4,12 for me has been rubbish.

12. Farslayer

Farslayer New Member

GPU:
    ATI RADEON 9800 Pro 128mb DDR R350
    I have again went back to cat 4.12, as it seems every driver that has come out after the 4,12 for me has been rubbish.

Hello guys Im new here as a matter of fact this is my first post.I have a few questions if anyone can help it would be very nice.
    I have a ati 9800 pro 128 for almost a year now Works great when ever it wants to.I have incountered alot of what other ati owners have been going through.Monitor going black with pc still running.Overheating colors messing up on the screen.Games crashing or hard freezing causing me to have to cold boot.You name it but the fact of the matter is I know its the driver. Im now running xp pro sp2 me.1)Do i have to uninstall the ati drivers that windows installs with driver tool before installing latest drivers from ati.2)And what is the most stable cat version.

13. NiteX

NiteX Active Member

GPU:
    8800GT SLi
    I find the 5.3 is giving me many problems with HL2. I went back to 5.1 and I had no more crashing to the desktop and freezing.

14. SuperMario_64

SuperMario_64 New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 9800Pro @ 411.75/338.11
    Yeah, new here.

I just installed the new Omega drivers last night, 2.6.1.2 (updated from drivers that were at least six months old) and my bench scores dropped. Badly. 3DM01 score dropped from over 19K to 18,111.

I'm presuming my 9800Pro is getting too old for the latest drivers, right? If that's true can someone tell me what the optimum drivers are for the 9800Pro? (Mine's a powercolor, I think).

15. PinBot

PinBot Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870 1gb
    Best drivers for you are the ones that you find works best with your setup. That's something that no one can tell you for sure. 4.12 works best for me.

16. SuperMario_64

SuperMario_64 New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 9800Pro @ 411.75/338.11
    I thought it might not be as simple as I'd like. Thanks, I'll give 4.12 a try (do I just dl old drivers from the omega site?).

What overclocking tool do you find works best for 98's. I used ATI Tool and it's tests got my card up to 428/358. But at that speed I could see snow in Doom 3. So I downed them a bit (see right).That's not that great, is it? I'm not sure yet but from what others have got their cards to reach, I'm guessing I have the R350 core. :(

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005