New build, no boot, gtx260 fan wont spin

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by burtethead, Feb 12, 2009.

1. burtethead

burtethead Member

GPU:
    xfx gtx 260 naddu
    Ok, so here's the deal. Im building a computer for my brother, using my recently replaced XFX GTX260, ASUS P5N32-e SLI motherboard, and Kingston HyperX ram. The motherboard has been sitting around for about 3 weeks, but the GPU and RAM were just taken out of my setup today, so im positive they work. I put it together with an OCZ StealhXtreme 600w and an e7400 CPU, making sure of course that the P5N32 had the right bios, which it does. First startup, it boots, i go into bios to set boot priority, and restart with the vista disk in the drive. When it restarts, there is no display, so i switch DVI ports and restart again, and it starts up into the vista install. Once the first portion of the install completes, it restarted, and has had no video output since. Also, the fan on the GTX 260 will not spin. I have tested this card in another system, as well as a different gtx260 in this system. Either GTX260 will not spin up or display. I have also tryed a corsair 650w psu, instead of the stealthxtreme 600w, but with the same result. I have also tried both cards in both PCIe x16 slots. Still no display. I know the ram, CPU, GTX260, PSU, and HDD are all good, so that just leaves the motherboard, right?

My only worry is that, since it started up once (getting into the vista install), did some component (case? psu?) ruin the motherboard somehow during that period? If thats the situation, i dont want to put another board in there to get fried.

any ideas will be appreciated! Just dont tell me to clear the CMOS.

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    A default installation of Vista will not damage any hardware, burtethead.

Since you say that you already replaced already known good for suspected bad and put most parts to the test one way or the other, except for the motherboard, it's your most likely broken part.

Just always make sure when you work inside your computer to turn of the power, unplug the power cable, and to ground yourself one way or the other (ground mat, ground strap, etc.)...

p.s.: This is clearly not an Nvidia display driver problem and fits the Nvidia graphic card section a lot better:

Videocards - NVIDIA
    http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Thread moved.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  3. burtethead

burtethead Member

GPU:
    xfx gtx 260 naddu
    I wasnt trying to imply that the vista installation was at fault for anything. I was just using that to point out that the system was functioning for at least 20 minutes. Is it possible that some faulty component, like the PSU or maybe a short from the case ruined the motherboard during this 20 minutes?

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    list the rest of your specs..might help people a bit more.

5. burtethead

burtethead Member

GPU:
    xfx gtx 260 naddu
    Ok, well the system in question:

ASUS P5N32-E SLI Motherboard
    Intel E7400 CPU
    Kingston HyperX DDR2 800 2x1gb
    Seagate 500gb
    OCZ StealthXtreme 600w PSU
    XFX GTX260 NADDU
    Rosewill R226-P-BK Case

The mainboard was working up until a month ago, and worked on first startup, then ceased to work after that. The ram was pulled that day from my working system, so it works. The GTX260 also definitely works, as i have tested it in another system, as well as another 260 in this system. Neither work on this board (despite the fact that i was using this very card in this very board a month ago in my other computer). The CPU is brand new, and worked on first startup, and the HD is fine, also brand new. The only questionable components are the PSU and the case, im fairly sure everything else worked, at least at first. My concern now is that either the case or PSU caused the motherboard to fail during that initial period when it was running, and now permanent damage has been done. This is why im being cautious about putting a new motherboard into this case with this power supply, in case one of those parts could kill the new mobo too.

6. N00bst3r

N00bst3r Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 OC
    Faulty PCI-E socket? Its a possiblity, have you tried the GPU in any other slots?

7. burtethead

burtethead Member

GPU:
    xfx gtx 260 naddu
    yes, i tried this card in both x16 slots, as well as a second gtx260 in both x16 slots. No combination works. I think i might know the problem though, this case has the raised dimples for mounting, and didnt come with any standoffs, metal or plastic. It also didnt come with any insulating washers of any sort, so i kinda assumed it would be safe to install. Big mistake i guess. This is the real cost of a 20.00 case; now i need a new motherboard. you guys agree that might be the issue? the damage seems to be permanent since it makes no difference if the board is in the case or not.