New build issues

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by yermucker, Nov 23, 2017.

1. yermucker

yermucker Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970
    Got a new board, CPU and RAM today. Went 2066 route, got the Asus Tuf x299. Problem is it wont boot. Ive checked everything, rebuilt it twice completely, no bent pins i can see, moved Ram slots, tried one stick, then the other, unplugged everything, basically ive done everything you would normally do to see if it will boot, and still no joy. The board is showing a solid orange light on the top right, which the book says indicates a problem with Boot. No kidding Asus. Board also has an 8 pin and a 4 pin board power input. Book says you can use either the 8 and 4 together, or just the 8 on its own. However when both are plugged in noting happens at all, when the 8 is on its own, the lights come on, the gpu fans spin, but it still doesnt boot. Anyone had this issue with this board, heard of anyone having it, or have any idea what i could try. Or do i bite the bullet and RMA it?
    Cheers

2. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    Did you tried setting everything outside of the case ?

Maybe a stupid question also, but did you cleared cmos ?

3. yermucker

yermucker Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970
    Yeah cleared it, no change, only thing i havent done is power it up outside the case which did occur to me incase something was shorting it. But what is pushing me towards thinking its a faulty board is the power input issue. Rang the guys i ordered it fro and he said to plug both the 4 and 8 pins in, but doing that seems to kill off everything.

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    I had a very similar issue with my first X99 ASUS Rampage V like 3 years ago, just like you it was showing some boot fail code after I build the system. After many attempts (even after having help from a professional system builder) I ended up returning it as the board was indeed DOA, when the replacement arrived it had 0 issues.

5. yermucker

yermucker Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970
    Yeah i think its gonna be an RMA. Ive been building my own for longer than i care to remember now, and this is the first time ive had an issue. Knew it was nothing i had done but never hurts to get a second opinion. Spent close to 8 hours trying to sort this out now, think im done lol.

Solfaur likes this.