New Build 2014.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dillinger, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I'm ordering these parts tonight, let me know if everything looks fine.

i7 4790k
    NZXT Kraken x61
    G.Skill Trident X 2x4GB
    ASUS Z97-PRO
    2X EVGA GTX 780

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    How things changed, didnt even know there is a X61 now.. :D

2x 780 6gb might be more future proof.. Im not saying that because of all this WatchDogs fiasco, but in general since you're set for SLI and all.

I think I'll be fine @ 1080p in next-gen games in 2015, hopefully 5.5tflops will do the trick, well U4E Elemental has no problems running @ 60fps vsynced 1080p custom max settings.

btw SSD Crucial MX100 512gb is very good and extremely cheap.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Dayum, that's gonna be a fun rig. That ram is really nice. I grabbed some because I thought I might have height issues with my Phanteks. Of course I did, so I had to take the upper portion of the heatsink off and it worked like a charm.

^tj's right too with that ssd. I love mine.

I'd also recommend trying to plug as many fans as you can into your mobo. Asus does a great job with the fan controlling.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Hm, what do you think of the ASUS STRIX-GTX780-OC-6GB?

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
  6. Dillinger

Dillinger Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    ----

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  7. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    very nice indeed. :)

8. Merranza

Merranza New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte g1 gtx 980
    Hi Dillinger,

I am sorry to revive this old thread but I have a question regarding your setup since you have a Noctua NH-D15 and an Asus z97 Pro. Noctua's site states no compatibility problem with the NH-D15 and the z97 Pro. Your picture though seems to show that the cooler slightly interferes with the first PCIe x1 on the board. Might be the angle of the picture though.

Can you confirm if it's blocking the slot or not? I'm in the process of buying this cooler too and I'd like to know. I'm ok with losing my first x1 slot on this particular mobo as I have no real use for it but I'm trying to future proof a bit my purchase and since expansions slots like x1 are on the decline, I'm afraid the motherboards manufacturers tend to put x16 slot in place of that first x1 slot in the future and then the cooler will be a real problem...

Thank you very much in advance and I hope you have a great day.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Yep, the NH-D15 is blocking the top PCI-E x1.

RAM clearance is an issue as well even after removing the heat fins on my Trident X memory.

There's maybe a 1cm gap between the memory & fan yet I can't close the side panel on my Silverstone TJ04B-E as the fan is in the way.

Switching the fans around so that the air is blowing towards the drive bays may work or even just having the middle fan installed. I'll probably end up getting a larger case, one with better air flow.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  10. Merranza

Merranza New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte g1 gtx 980
    Thank you for your answer.

Noctua needs to update that compatibility list I see...

Like stated many times before, that cooler is a behemoth. I'll probably have to raise the front fan about 13-15 mm to clear vengeance pro RAM (44 mm height if I'm correct) pushing that cooler height to almost 180mm. I have a Corsair 780t and Corsair's site states I have a 200mm cpu cooler clearance so I guess I'm ok. (Since you are in the process of looking up for a new case, the 780t is a wonder btw. I love it).

I was hesitating between Phanteks' PH-TC14PE and Noctua's NH-D15. It's funny, I thought the D15 was bigger on all accounts compared to the PH-TC14PE but if you check both companies' sites, the D15 with fans is 165mm in terms of height while the PH-TC14PE is 171mm with fans (before raising the front fan for sure).

So my biggest concern is that 150mm width that block the first PCIe slot on most motherboards. I think I'll stick with my D15 choice though as I'm on an all new system though so by the time I'm due for an upgrade, they'll probably have newer cpu cooler that will be more efficient and hopefully smaller which will mean it's time for a change :)

11. jameslucop

jameslucop New Member

GPU:
    Corsair 16gb
    it blocks the first PCIe x1 slot, but not the PCIE x16 slot

This is accurate, but could be misleading for the casual reader. The first PCIe x16 slot (for the GPU) is not blocked. You can still SLI

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Best to check the date of the last post ;)

13. Dillinger

Dillinger Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    -----

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016