New ATI ad makes fun of Fermi!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by thecake90, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    mildly entertaining video but thats it.

while ati may be cool, nvidia cards are a little more reliable, for instance my 5970 fried after 4 month while running furmark, i had plenty of nvidia cards, ran furmark constantly for over a year and none died infact i still have them around, furmark is known to fry more ati cards than nvidia.

but maybe its the manufacturer's fault (not ATI) for using different cheaper Vrms.. according to this article.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2841/11

another problem is the fan, ati cards have a higher rate of fan problems right out of the box, you buy a brand new ati card, if you're lucky all is good, most of the time however the fan is faulty, slow spinning or die after a a while, does happend to nvidia too but at a much lesser rate.

so the argument goes both ways, someone should make a video about the ati quality control issues :D

PS. my card average 85c and goes as high as 90-91c only in a couple of games with a fan speed 88%, i have 3 80mm case fans, not noisy and no big deal.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    The ATi made ad was pretty lame. But this link made me lol.

3. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    bit late with that vid ;P

4. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    How many actors do you think would EVER be allowed near a firearm at a shooting-range caring about safety?

//Svein

5. randomizer

randomizer Master Guru

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Man if this came out when Fermi JUST came out, would of been way better.

6. fiika

fiika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX570 810/1620/1980
    'I bet we find something green in there'

hehehe...

7. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I don't really agree, as long it has some factual basis and is somewhat funny; most people (and apparently not all people) have a sense of humor and take things a little more lightly.

8. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    KCJoker is right.

Nvidia as soon as they step out to say anything ATI jump up and down and it calls for war.

ATI do it and they think it's funny. Do it back to them though.....*Whistle*

Ad wasn't too bad. But they were a bit late.

9. kid-goku

kid-goku Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 980 Ti
    This.
    +1

10. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    So no more G4saurus Defectus cartoons then? :) Now ATI has more money, hey can film real people lol
    Now...did somebody actually though Fermi and recent global raising in temperatures might be somehow connected? Moscow must buy lot's of Fermis... Yeah I know funny only if you don't live in there

11. moh.sakhaii

moh.sakhaii New Member

LOL, I had Nvidia cards all my life and seriously because of physx alone I can't switch to ATI, but power consumption in Nvidia cards is really a major issue.
    I won't buy a fermi because of this alone and rather keep my old geforce 9600GT. :D

12. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    The video is pretty funny and they make a good point.
    It also suggest that 6000 series should be power-efficient. It wouldn't be wise to release 6870 that would draw more power than Fermi after such video.

13. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Well I found it funny....

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This has been a known issue for a while now.... In fact, it's mentioned in these forums, NGO, Toms....etc...

You wouldn't be stuck with nVidia for PhysX if Ageia hadn't intentionally gimped the API by using x87...and nVidia didn't stick with x87 to keep it gimped. Several articles about it on the net... nVidia can't switch it from x87 to any "up-to-date" code because they'd lose the advantage that their cards have with it. No processor does x87 natively anymore...thus, the performance of x87 code is horrid..

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    They probably saw this before we did, I know UNDERSTAND THE VIDEO!@!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might not like ATI but they dont have serious design flaws like these fermi's

460 is last nvidia card i buy unless this heat and power consumption is resolved

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    agreed! nvidia is back on track with the 460.

but have heard a lot of gripe recently about the latest drivers. hasnt affected me but then am not playing starcraft 2 or bfbc2 which seems to be where the most complaints are focused.

it is crap that ati cant sort themselves out in regards probably the two biggest releases of the last 2 yrs...but then again i heard sli was fubared as well.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My GTX460, even clocked to 800/2000 doesn't even notice Furmark running....it's like running World of Warcraft.

The drivers on the other hand....are causing massive stuttering for me. Would be nice if nVidia would release a new driver already...

18. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

Sorry, but your information is inaccurate. NVIDIA was never losing money on GT200.. as you improve processes and cut costs you actually *INCREASE* the amount you make per GPU.

They stopped selling because they stopped ordering them.. because they expected to have Fermi ready soon.. but hit a couple month delay. Meanwhile TSMC couldn't make enough chips to feed the market anyway, so they just discontinued the old product to ramp down and pave the way for the upcoming new stuff.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    What do you mean by "doesn't even notice Furmark running....it's like running World of Warcraft."

And i have no stuttering in my games other then AVP on high in DX10 mode, but then i still running 197.13 drivers.

They may of did that to pave the way for fermi but imo only card so far that is worth the money is the 460, I dont care how good that other cards are, there not worth the price especially with there power and heat issues.

20. Technot

Technot Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX-GeForce GTX280 Extrem
    Made me laugh..