New asus gtx 980 20th anniversery edition - no support/info anywhere

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MrFronk, May 20, 2015.

1. MrFronk

MrFronk New Member

GPU:
    asus gtx 980 20th anniver
    Hi guys,

Last weekend I received my new 3D card, the asus gtx 980 20th anniversery edition! :banana:

My question is, I can't find any additional info on this ANYWHERE. No reviews of the card, no bechmark comparisons, no one who tried overclocking the card. And at the moment I feel a bit left out in the dark.

I want to overclock this beast, and could do with some additional help.

One of the things I tried so far is to run heaven benchmark on stock settings (directx 11, high quality, tesselation disabled, stereo 3d disabled, multi-monitor disabled, aa off, fullscreen and running on 1920*1080) which gave me a performance of 149.5 avg FPS and a score of 3765.

I then applied the method from pcgamer (pcgamer dot com/how-to-overclock-your-graphics-card/) and increased my gpu to > 8000 mhz vram freq and > 1500 core freq. This lowered my score (which I don't understand).

Any tips would be welcome!

2. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Pro tip: NEVER set the clocks used by reviewers or even your best buddy. NEVER.

Start by putting everything on stock and then gradually increase the core clock. With this card you take 1375-1400 as a starting point since almost any card reaches that. Then increase clocks by EG: 10 and test with Heaven or something like it. If the card start throttling (lowering speed to maintain low temp/power) you can raise the powerlimit. Max temps should be around 85c I guess. If it's artifacting clock down and see what happens. Same goes for mem.

Good luck!

3. MrFronk

MrFronk New Member

GPU:
    That's what I did. The stock core is at 1431Mhz, the stock vram is @7010Mhz.
    I kept running heaven, while increasing the vram in 10mhz intervals until it started to give me artefacts, and was able to up it to > 8100 something after it gave it first artefact.
    Then I reset everything to default and increased the core freq to 1531Mhz until the driver crashed (it worked flawlessly on 1521).
    Then, as the pcgamer article said, I used a combination of both,1531 + 8100, but that crashed. I put my core clock slightly lower, and it showed no more artefacts, so its now running (i think stable) at 1501 Mhz core and 8100 or so vram.

It gives no artefacts whatsoever. However, when I run heaven, the score generated is lower than before. The gpu temp doesn't go above 66 degrees C, and the fan doesn't go over 45% capacity.

4. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Are you actively monitoring the clocks and temps? Otherwise it might be possible that it donwclocks ;) It depends on how Asus implemented the powerlimit (guess).

5. MrFronk

MrFronk New Member

GPU:
    what do you mean by actively monitoring?

I have asus tweak gpu open, which shows me my realtime gpu load, fanspeed and temp.

6. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Yeah something like that. Might give the MSI Afterburner OSD a try, or GPU-Z.

7. pekka

pekka Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX580twin frozr PE
    Damn if i bought one of these bad guys for a new build no way i would dare to OC this card as it is a costly card the least to say in Sweden anyways in Swedish Currency it is 7990-8090K in SEK almost as expensive as a Titan X so i too would like to know how this card fairs against other GTX980´s and such

Well Gratz to that monster because i guess it is a monster :D

8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    With a GPU, I usually baby-step it up, one item a time (clock/ram) and use the ancient "ATI Tool" to do quick checks for artifacts/errors. I start bumping voltage when scores get erratic. As I find what seems to be the sweet spot, I use other benchmarks for longer testing.

As to overclocking in general... I've never gotten more than about a 10-15% increase in performance from any video card overclocking (except when I physically modded). The cards I stressed out to the max always ended up dead (or less functional) within a few years so I just don't bother for the marginal increase gained. I run all of my equipment at stock when new, occasionally overclock the CPUs later in their life cycle when it gets handed down.

Out of curiosity, I ran Heaven at the settings you listed and at stock speed, my 970 got: 109.7avg / 2797

I'd say your 980 is pretty beastly already! Enjoy!