New amd RyZen Stock RGB cpu coolers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by zer0_c0ol, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, I know a few people like that.

I've been running this CPU for about 5 years or so with a Artic Freezer 7 Pro and the only complaint I have is how it looks.

2. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Everyone i know that works on computers, always keeps the stock cooler.
    Even if your not using it, its a decent backup if the aftermarket one fails/stops working, or like this time, when an upgraded socket requires a new bracket.
    This way i can use it until the bracket comes out.

And anyone that uses an aftermarket cooler, mosy likely in the +50-100$ range, and you complain about a 10-15$ difference? Really?
    How about spending 5min to search and find the aftermarket cooler where it's on sale??

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Did you even read what I wrote? Because it doesn't seem like it. And a decent cooler is more like $40, so yeah I mind $15+ being tacked onto the price of a CPU which 99% of users are never going to use.

No one here answered my question; has anyone here ever bought a high end unlocked CPU then used the stock cooler as the permanent solution?

No one answered because no one has, obviously.

It takes one purchase of a decent HSF to last years. The last time I was using a different HSF was during the Core 2 Duo era for my E8400, that's how long ago it was.

4. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    warranty.....?
    :stewpid:

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    No one on here has because this is more of an enthusiast forum, it in no way represents the norm.

Very few people need anything more than the stock cooler, so excluding it is just making things difficult for no good reason.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Very few people beyond the enthusiasts go out and buy a high end unlocked processor for their systems. That majority which buy prebuilt systems can still get their crappy OEM HSF without having it shoved down the throats of enthusiasts as well.

7. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I don't mind the look of enormous air coolers but, I can see why people would. Sandy is pretty forgiving when it comes to cooling, isn't it?

AMD has at least tried to improve their stock cooler beyond 'hunk of metal with fan that barely prevents throttling'. I think that's better than nothing even though I'd buy something better.

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I can answer for a friend, a 4690k on a B85 board and stock cooler, also a 4TB drive with no ssd, he feels very pro tho, he used to browse this forum from time to time

9. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I agree with this, completely. Although I never use stock coolers in any of my highly OC'ed rigs still I like to keep em in original retail box because I rarely sell any of my obsolete hardware. Simply love to keep everything complete and in mint condition when time comes for any of my old hardware for well deserved retirement on my huge pile of old hardware :)

When you spend 300, 400 bucks on new high end CPU, additional 150, 250 on mobo, 150, 300 or even more on high end cooling sistem does it really matters to save those $10 your're talking about? I don't think so, in my country we're saying: Ma kad je bal - ma nek je bal!!! :D

HH's quote from article: "... Somebody give him the room alone with that PC though.." :roll:

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I like the Wraith cooler with the Amd logo the original but not to crazy about LED's in my system any longer, I went through that stage after I build my 1st pc everything was decked-out in Blue Led haha.Would never do something like that now.

Raja gonna pop that cherry! hahaha. :banana:

11. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Neo Cyrus
    So you have the money for a unlocked high end cpu (200$ and up) and the money for an aftermarket cooler, but not 15$ so it comes with a cooler? Right..
    Do you sometimes read your answer before posting?
    Just curious..

12. Minotaur

Minotaur Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 1080 GLH
    Guessing they are worried.. So benchmarks won't do it, but RGB lights might sell it?!
    I'm hoping it's not true, as Intel needs a good kick!

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If anyone gives $300 for something instead of something else, for the RGB lights, I don't know what to say about them.

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I get what Neo means by having to pay for something that enthusiasts won't use, but i doubt the cost price is anywhere near $10, so in reality it is making a negligible different to what you have to pay.

On the other hand, excluding the cooler (imo) would be tantamount to selling an incomplete product.

I like what AMD is doing here, a better stock cooler is only bad news for those in the business of taking money from people by convincing them it's an essential purchase.

If people can get the CPU and a good cooler in one good value package, rather than having to pay Intel for the CPU and then spend more on a third party cooler, than that will be one more reason people could pick AMD over Intel.

15. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    There has almost always been an option to buy a CPU without the bundled HSF. Why is an optional cost such a big deal for people?

16. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Well, I just installed an EVO 212 in my FX-8320e system, and the difference between that and the stock cooler that came with the CPU is far greater than I thought it would be. Under load, clocked to 3.2GHz with a 3.5/4GHz boost, the standard cooler would run all day @ 65-70C, and the small fan was quite noticeable under load rpms. With the EVO 212 I advanced the stock clock to 3.8GHz and the boost to 4.2GHz and upped the voltage by 0.02500v, and the load temp rarely exceeds 42C--mostly, it sits at 35-40C under load.

Second part is that I can't hear the big EVO fan running under load at 800 rpm or less (stock fan ran at 3325 rpm under load and 70C is the thermal max for the cpu.) At first I didn't think the fan was running because I couldn't hear it. Very nice. If the Wraith handles the temps like this EVO 212 then it's worth every penny, imo, even though I already know the Wraith won't run under load anywhere near as quietly as this EVO 212 (because the heatsink is much larger and so is the fan in the EVO.)

As far as the RGB part goes, this is the one thing I don't understand about people's preferences these days. Why would I want to look at some kind of Christmas-tree light show inside my computer case?--which is a silly question for me to ask since my mid-tower is on the floor under my desk and not even visible from my chair...;) As well, my case has ventilation louvers in the side panels but the panels are made of solid, non-see-through material--so bottom line is that I don't much care what the stuff inside my case looks like--don't care about the color of the mboard, etc. Sure don't care about a bunch of gaudy, red-light-district lights flickering, etc.

What I care about looking at and seeing is the output of my box, specifically the output to my RGB *monitor*--that's all that interests me in terms of visuals, I'm afraid. However, to each his own, and for the people that like see-through side panels and blinking lights inside their cases I think that's fine--doesn't bother me. RGB lights won't stop me from buying but it certainly isn't a feature that *I* look for or care about.

More than likely, the RGB coolers will be restricted to a few of the Ryzen cpus with most of the cpus not using them, I'd bet, but can't say for sure even if any of them will ship with RGB coolers. But I will say that people moaning about the price should consider that RGB fan or no, AMD is selling cpus @ 85% of the comparable Intel cpu's performance (at a minimum) but is charging ~40%-50% of what Intel is currently charging for those cpus. So the cost of the fan is certainly a completely moot point.

Besides, even if you buy an add-on fan after you buy the cpu, that Wraith (or whatever it may be) will make a nice *spare fan* for the parts drawer...;) Never know when you might need a spare part, eh? Seems like Ryzen is a win-win all around, imo.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That's a strawman argument if I've ever heard one. "You're already paying a lot so what's another $15 more?"

$15 for BS the vast majority of us don't want. You're already building a rig, why not wipe your ass with some $20 bills? You're already spending a lot anyway right? - Your logic

And again, you know well that few of us buy a new HSF every generation. Most of us use the same one for years for multiple CPUs. Making that extra few bucks here and there multiply for more useless crap.

18. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You're making a couple yourself, you've been around hardware long enough to know that OEM options will be publically available. Nobody is going to be forced to buy these CPUs with a HSF unless they choose to do so. I'd also like to remind you that you only speak for yourself. The majority of users use stock cooling, as has always been the case.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  19. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO

I dunno as much as I like to save money I think having a stock cooler bundled in there can come in handy, now and then bad things happen, i've had AIO Watercoolers malfunction on me and in those situations a spare stock cooler lying around is a godsend, whats an extra $10 for peace of mind?

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    So? It's unusual to not have an air cooler lying around since most upgrade from an air one. I'm surprised you had to resort to a stock one. What's the worst that can happen? You can go to a store and buy some cheapo HSF for $10 until your AIO is replaced.

It's like I'm talking to wall or you're willfully pretending to not understand. Holy **** it's like you guys work for AMD's marketing department or something. We'll see whether or not OEM options are available, no one knows yet. And I said specifically the enthusiast crowd rarely ever use a stock cooler. Because your i7 is at 4.4GHz on a stock cooler, right?

Even though AMD/Intel could just use their crap OEM HSFs on prebuilt machines and save use the nonsense I see why they include one now. Do you also hoard other garbage and build bomb shelters in case of a nuclear war?

I'm done here, enjoy your stock coolers sitting in boxes and less in your bank accounts.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017