New AMD Agesa Combo V2 1.0.8.1 update potentially improves latencies between CPU cores

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 14, 2020.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The system is STABLE... That's why I didn't want to update the BIOS to risk having to tweak to make my STABLE settings STABLE again.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No it isn't.

Your bios has broken RDRAND
    PCIE stability issues
    Memory training issues (and slowness)

You're on ancient initialization code from last year.

GSDragoon likes this.
  3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    You're making a big deal out of the last official BIOS I was able to put on the motherboard. The BIOS is a month old ffs.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    The naming gets a bit confusing, if it's that recent it has to be a earlier version of the newer bios and AGESA updates which has gone from what's it called again CombiPi 4 V2 something I believe version 1.0.0.0 up 1.0.0.8 or 1.0.8.0 / 1.0.8.1 as some motherboard vendors use variants of this numbering system. :)

So it's not the launch state driver and the earlier code which went from 1.0.0.0 to I think it was 1.0.0.6 before AMD rolled over to this newer branch.

That first set had some rougher launch issues. :)

EDIT: Would prefer a rolling version number instead of renaming and resetting it but it's also used for when AMD drops support for older hardware though the various names are a bit of a extra to keep track of in addition to the version number scheme AMD uses.

EDIT: Not like my language and writing skills or understanding of English grammar and the finer points of languages in general is all that great but that's a lot of grammar errors and mistakes compared to the usual.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Right, sorry @theoneofgod

AMD's agesa is very inconsistent, i wasn't even aware of there being a v2 1.0.0.2

6. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I've installed the BIOS update for my x570 AORUS Elite yesterday. XMP seemed to initialise fine. I'll test more after work.

7. rpro

rpro Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Hmmm after check today Gigabyte removed F30a bios with agesa 1.0.8.1 for my x570 gaming x. any1 know whats going on ?

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Becouse it had memory issues. Have the same board and after i tried it xmp profiles are totally broken. Stay with f21 for now.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Its back on the site with changed date. Im thinking of trying it again maybe the issue has been fixed with the board.

10. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    I think it was removed because it was F30a and 'a' means Beta version, they released F30 which is the non beta.

@Undying @rpro

GSDragoon and Undying like this.

11. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Yup, a letter affer mean beta version. I see F30 just got posted today. Going to update this weekend and try out the reset cmos switch on the board to reset settings and pickup new cvars.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    F30 works fine now with my x570. Beta ver had some issues with xmp but that seems to be fixed.

Edit : scratch that it still fails to boot with xmp profile, frack it back to f21.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  13. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    anyone tested "in game" ? any game benchmarks ?

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Latest BIOS for my Crosshair VIII Hero is 2206 which has been a great BIOS so far for me, it uses AGESA V2 PI 1.0.8.0

If anyone is interested there is a beta BIOS for this board. You can grab it here
    https://www.overclock.net/threads/a...cking-discussion-thread.1728796/post-28629863

This is for the NON-WIFI version of the Crosshair VIII Hero X570. This forum also has other bios's.

This beta BIOS uses AGESA V2 PI 1.0.8.2

I had to flash it using the bios flashback tool using a usb. Everything seems to be working fine and the mouse in the bios is finally fixed it feels super smooth now.

Latency using SiSoftware Sandra Lite multicore latency test shows a regression in latency going from an average after 4 runs of 52ns (agesa 1.0.8.0) to an average after 4 runs of 54ns (agesa 1.0.8.2) but this is a beta bios.

However, setting these setting in the bios:

DOCP enabled (3600MHz CL16)
    Global Cstate control enabled
    DF Cstates enabled
    CPPC enabled
    CPPC prefferred cores enabled
    PBO manual (PPT 300, TDC 230, EDC 230, scalar x2)
    fnMAX enabled (new feature for better single core boost exclusive to Asus)

I gained on average 250-300 more points in Cinebench R20 from 7421 (old agesa) to 7651 (new agesa) both using the same bios settings as above. And boost clocks now seem to boost more cores than before towards 4.4-4.5GHz whereas before it was only around 1 or 2 cores now it boosts around 3-4 cores to this speed. Also, idle voltages seem a more responsive too, dropping down to 0.2v-0.4v all this whilst using 1amus Ryzen Universal Power Plan too.

So far so good, hoping the official release will bring the better latency.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Sounds like memory compatibility can be a bit hit & miss still but might be more from the motherboard vendors and the additional XMP tuning and compatibility they do and how much gets tested here, AMD's certainly been busy with 1.0.8.0 to 1.0.8.2 and now the 1.1.0.0 lineup.

Going to be a bit tough for the X500 series and B500's with Ryzen 5000 if you don't have USB flashback and a way to prepare a USB stick first unless you can still boot into the bios and do said flash with the new processor although chances are some vendors will do refresh boards with the new bios applied already.
    (Well more for the users who might not be experienced with a bios flash like this.)

Course chances are you get the older stock and a V1 or V2 board revision whatever has been done but isn't the absolutely newest too.
    Seems unlikely there's a 600 series chipset planned, later motherboard update doesn't seem like it fits in quite and might be for the new AM5 platform and a subset of new features instead of smaller tweaks or updates for AM4 from what I'm thinking at least.

They're already there with DDR5, USB4 and what not cost wise so for that AMD might as well stick a copper cooling thing on the chipset as a standard and get that fan worries out of the way too while at it ha ha.
    (Well it'd be less noisy if nothing else.)

Will be interesting to see how things go for the final update here and which vendors update quickly, I'm assuming MSI as usual being fast out with these was a given but I don't know if 1.1.0.0 is something of a initial release or even beta and there might be further updates from AMD and when other vendors jump onto beta or full bios releases for that AGESA version.

Reveal of the new CPU's formally early October (Like a week wasn't it?) and then launch early November maybe?
    (GPU reveal formally late October so ~month or so and late November then.)

Or maybe a immediate launch but if the stocks aren't too great yet that first batch might go very quickly same as the Ampere situation for NVIDIA at the moment but I don't know how much AMD has ready for a launch and how quickly these can be shipped world-wide for keeping up with demand.
    (Which even for their GPU's there might be a fair bit so the CPU's are very likely to go quickly if the initial batch is a smaller size.)

EDIT: ALL the cooper passive cooling really like back in the older Intel board days.

[​IMG]

Overly bright connectivity bits too for extra nostalgia.
    (Separate colors on everything.)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Nicked_Wicked and CPC_RedDawn like this.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    What is this monstrosity of a motherboard?!?? LOL

I did love the older board designs with the multiple colours, it was as if they were going for that space ship made of lego designed by a 7 year old kinda look :D

It would be awesome if one of the current mobo makers did a special throwback design like these today. Obviously not for the sales more for the publicity. Same goes for the GPU makers too, some needs to do a throwback to the good old days....

fct7yTXckECAGdHbTtthii.jpg

Passus and Undying like this.
  17. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    I had a DFI lan party P45 intel 775 board that was multicolour

flourescent orange and blue with some green in there lol

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  18. PJVol

PJVol Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    If i'm not mistaken 1.0.8.0 is ready to boot 5000 series, followed by 1.1.0.0 at launch for full functionality.

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/j7l4ck/b550x570_only_agesa_1080_requires_for_ryzen_5000/

And this for the 1.0.8.0 information on CPU stepping support.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/iq2iu1/amd_agesa_comboam4v2pi_1081/

Vermeer A0/B0 stepping
    Cezanne A0 stepping

With the first being the info from AMD which states 1.0.8.0 for initial support and 1.1.0.0 for full support and there's also going to be boot kit availability for helping with CPU support here.

From this discussion around Asus recent consumer support inquiry as to the X400 series or specifically their Crosshair VII Hero.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ja23gg/asus_wont_provide_bios_update_for_x470_board_to/
    Although AMD has also stated they're starting beta support with AGESA code for the 400 series in January next year which I expect will be supported by a lot of vendors and I presume Asus will also very likely change their stance especially if they get outed in social media or tech sites like here since that will potentially affect their brand and hit sales and such so I think their current stance is going to be somewhat flexible.

EDIT: Cezanne looks like it's the next APU, Vermeer is the 5000 series / Ryzen 3 CPU's.

20. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I don't think there is a Gigabyte board from 400-500 series which doesn't have dual bios on them.

I'm not sure other brands have that on all their boards. It was one of the reasons i first got a Gigabyte mobo. Way less risk involved to update bios that way.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020